Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bailing guests- venting

cooksallday

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:24 pm
How frustrating is it when 3/4 of your guests bail when you decide to host?! Just venting no lashon hara or anything intended. We are a relatively recently married couple and decided to have 4 people over for Shabbos dinner. One never officially got back to us but when we double checked decided they were going out of town for Shabbos. The next had some excuse and bailed. The other forgot we made plans and made plans somewhere else. We had to find 3 new guests because I already went shopping. Not complaining bh we have food to eat, but how hard is it to at least let us know ahead of time?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:47 pm
I hear you and sympathize. Your so-called "friends" were unspeakably self-centered and rude. The trouble is that etiquette is no longer taught, neither in school nor at home. In fact, young people consider etiquette stuck-up and stiff, when what it really about is not which fork to use but putting other people first. Today the emphasis is on me-me-me: do what makes you feel good, look out for #1, seize the moment, and to heck with anyone else's plans.

Maybe one of your so-called friends will recognize herself here and realize she done bad. But I would not bet on it.

cooksallday

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:52 pm
Thank you! This may very much be the case! There is no chance of that because it was all single guys but I didn't want to post that because I don't like generalizing. Bh we are replacing them with my brother and two other friends of my husband who are much more appreciative! Not that I host for the appreciation but it is nice to feel appreciated when you do things for other people! It's really just common decency Smile.

zaq wrote:
I hear you and sympathize. Your so-called "friends" were unspeakably self-centered and rude. The trouble is that etiquette is no longer taught, neither in school nor at home. In fact, young people consider etiquette stuck-up and stiff, when what it really about is not which fork to use but putting other people first. Today the emphasis is on me-me-me: do what makes you feel good, look out for #1, seize the moment, and to heck with anyone else's plans.

Maybe one of your so-called friends will recognize herself here and realize she done bad. But I would not bet on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette