Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Anyone follow the Podcast "Serial?"
1  2  Next

frummy613

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:21 pm
Who dun it?
Adnan Seyed? Or Jay?
I just finished all 12 episodes of the podcast, and I would be interested to hear others opinions about the case....

youngishbear

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:25 pm
I've been wanting to for a while.
Thanks for reminding me.

chatouli

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:13 am
I think Adnan did it. But it's surprising given the evidence the jury seems to have heard that he was convicted (after two hours of deliberation, no less!).

I think the Nisha call was not a "butt dial." I don't get how a butt dial to a land line with no answering machine could last 2.5 minutes. That's longer than many conversations I have with my DH during the day.

I don't think the State's time line was correct. So the alibi from Asia is likely irrelevant (although it's shocking that his lawyer didn't pursue it anyway). I'd guess Hae was killed later than 2:30, probably when Adnan was supposed to be at track.

I also question why Adnan never tried to call Hae after she disappeared. Very suspicious - although frankly neither did Don (though they'd only been dating two weeks when she was killed).

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:15 am
He sounds so nonchalant. Still in the beginning of the series though.

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:27 am
What about all of Jay's lies? Why would he lie about the phones at Best Buy?

Something feels so off about the whole case.....I feel naive saying this, but part of me feels like Adnan is innocent....on the other hand, as Dana said, he must be REALLY unlucky.

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:29 am
About the butt dial,
I have had butt dials last a very long time- I think the likelihood of a butt dial is slim, but once a phone call is mistakenly made, it can last several minutes...

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:48 am
Well, I think that the Innocence Project's looking for strangers who might have committed the crime is ridiculous. Jay knew where Hae's car was left. So its Adnan, Jay, or someone whom Jay is protecting.

I do find a lot of Adnan's actions to be suspicious. He claims that Jay wasn't a close friend. Who gives their car and phone (at a time when cell phones weren't all that common) to a mere acquaintance? Unless its part of a plan to ask Hae for a ride. And while I might not be able to tell you exactly what I was doing six weeks ago, I would (as Don said) likely be able to reconstruct a day where my ex-boyfriend, with whom I was still good friends, disappeared. Its human nature. When did I last see Hae? What did she say? Did you have any idea ... Plus, for Adnan, it was an unusual day because of leaving the car with Jay, etc. So all in all, I don't buy that he has no memories of it, just an average day.

I also find it strange that Jay's story morphed so often. I mean, he buried a body. You'd think that would make it more memorable.

So I don't know. I wish that Jay's testimony had been played. He must have been very convincing.

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:52 am
frummy613 wrote:
What about all of Jay's lies? Why would he lie about the phones at Best Buy?

Something feels so off about the whole case.....I feel naive saying this, but part of me feels like Adnan is innocent....on the other hand, as Dana said, he must be REALLY unlucky.

He didn't. The original plans for the store show phones in the vestibule. I think that's in the last podcast, or maybe on the website.

http://hw4.serialpodcast.org/s.....e.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/serial....._buy/

doughnut

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 9:59 am
I think they're both guilty. They're clearly both lying, for what purpose I don't understand, but I think they were both involved.

Sherri

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 10:01 am
I'm in middle, so will skip this thread for now...

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 10:02 am
Many comments here show me that you are unaware of the importance of a butt dial. A butt dial in this case does not prove that Adnan did not call Kisha, rather after investigating if butt dials could ring for over 2 minutes (which they found out they could), it means that the evidence of the Kisha Call/butt dial has doubt. It means that it could have been a call to Kisha and it could have been a butt dial so it doesn't really matter what you're opinion is; rather what evidence is solid and what evidence is doubtful. Adnan's being convicted of this crime was a failure of the justice system because they did not have enough solid, reliable evidence to prove guilt beyond reason doubt.

As for the Innocence Project's looking for a serial killer: I was thinking along those lines since the first podcast, but was thrown off wondering why Jay would then come forward with bogus testimony? Could it have been that Jay knew the serial killer? Could it have been that Jay really believed that Adnan had killed Hae and he was scared he'd come after Stephanie? Could the serial killer have targeted Stephanie and told Jay that if he told he'd kill her (doesn't make sense of course)? All of those ideas just sound too ridiculous to be considered which is why I'll have to agree with Barbara's take on that.

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 11:14 am
Do you think we will ever find out with certainty? Or am I just wracking my brains off for no good reason?!

Stop me from listening to the series again!

chatouli

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 11:46 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Many comments here show me that you are unaware of the importance of a butt dial. A butt dial in this case does not prove that Adnan did not call Kisha, rather after investigating if butt dials could ring for over 2 minutes (which they found out they could), it means that the evidence of the Kisha Call/butt dial has doubt. It means that it could have been a call to Kisha and it could have been a butt dial so it doesn't really matter what you're opinion is; rather what evidence is solid and what evidence is doubtful. Adnan's being convicted of this crime was a failure of the justice system because they did not have enough solid, reliable evidence to prove guilt beyond reason doubt.

As for the Innocence Project's looking for a serial killer: I was thinking along those lines since the first podcast, but was thrown off wondering why Jay would then come forward with bogus testimony? Could it have been that Jay knew the serial killer? Could it have been that Jay really believed that Adnan had killed Hae and he was scared he'd come after Stephanie? Could the serial killer have targeted Stephanie and told Jay that if he told he'd kill her (doesn't make sense of course)? All of those ideas just sound too ridiculous to be considered which is why I'll have to agree with Barbara's take on that.

Like I said, I think he did it, but I just don't believe the prosecution proved guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The Nisha call is one example of something that could be argued either way, but the argument that it was a real conversation is stronger than the argument that it wasn't. I had a cell phone in 1999. I remember it well. My friends who had cell phones all had something similar. It had no vibrate function and was pretty large and bulky. It would not have been likely to be kept in a jeans pocket like today's cell phones. Adnan presumably didn't carry a purse and his explanation is that Jay had it. Jay would not have been likely to bring a backpack because he had already graduated. So where was the phone when it mistakenly dialed Nisha? In the car's center console? The glove compartment? Unlikely bc there were a lot of other calls bring made at that time, by Jay and/or somebody else. A cell phone was enough of a novelty among high school seniors in my Manhattan private school in 1999 - I'd have to think it was even more so among public school kids in Maryland. I don't see it being left to bang around butt dialing unattended for 2.5 minutes.

So I'm not buying it, but I also shouldn't have to make so many guesses and assumptions. The prosecution is supposed to present a case that proves guilt BARD and while that does not mean beyond any scintilla of a doubt, I just don't see how they met that burden.

I was totally unimpressed by the lady from the Innocence Project. I wonder what she thinks DNA testing on a bottle in Leakin Park might prove. She thinks it's beyond unlikely that Adnan might be a charming psychopath - but it IS likely enough that Hae was randomly killed by a serial killer? Oooook

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 11:52 am
I agree with you about the Innocence project. I actually laughed when the lady said "think BIG picture."
Seriously? How would Jay know where the car is?

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:01 pm
frummy613 wrote:
I agree with you about the Innocence project. I actually laughed when the lady said "think BIG picture."

On the flip side, the "big picture" is also doing whatever they can to get DNA tests done, so they can see if anything is a match to Adnan or Jay.

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:04 pm
this made me CRACK up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjidkNvN-Ps

chatouli

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:05 pm
Barbara wrote:

I also find it strange that Jay's story morphed so often. I mean, he buried a body. You'd think that would make it more memorable.

So I don't know. I wish that Jay's testimony had been played. He must have been very convincing.

I agree that Jay's story changed a ton but it is actually VERY normal that civilian witnesses in criminal cases change stories like they were changing clothes before a date... Even more so when they are
A) teenagers
B) potheads
C) way more involved than they'd like to admit - and possibly facing prosecution for their own actions
D) suspicious of cops
E) trying to protect others

So Jay is a pretty tough star witness from the state's standpoint, but you don't pick your witnesses any more than you can "pick your vic" (with apologies to Det. Stabler from Law & Order).

chatouli

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:08 pm
frummy613 wrote:
this made me CRACK up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjidkNvN-Ps

I was dying with laughter! What a great parody!

mille

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 2:24 pm
frummy613 wrote:

"big picture" implies that she is simply going this angle to get the DNA tested. Not that she actually thinks it's really a serial killer. I don't think anyone thinks that -- it's just giving a reason to push for the DNA evidence to actually be tested. Who knows, if the DNA evidence comes back with Adnan's DNA under Hae's fingernails, well, that's the nail in the coffin for him (although I'd like to remind everyone that Adnan had NO IDEA that the DNA was never tested and was extremely pro getting it tested now...if he knew he were guilty, that would be a bad idea, right?). If it comes back with Jay's DNA...Well that's interesting. Or waht about a third party? Phil/Patrick? Who knows.

The Innocence Project is just trying to get the DNA tested so they have the most amount of evidence to actually work with.

As for the whole topic, yeah I listened to the podcast, and read a lot of stuff online. I was pretty in the middle about it until Jay's recent three part interview on the website The Intercept. Now I think he's lying about way more than we originally thought. He completely changed his story 15 years after the fact, admitted to lying in court, and is now lying about things in present day. How can anyone believe him? He sounds like a compulsive liar who likes to be in the center of attention. Too many details don't even remotely add up to believe any of the seven iterations of "Jay's story".

I also think Jenn knows exactly what happened, but is lying to protect Jay. And my crazy out there theory is that Jay was cheating on Stephanie with Jenn... But I don't really know how that's relevant to the case. Tongue Out

I don't think we'll ever know the truth, because the people who know the truth will never speak up, and the one who would is obviously dead. On January 15th Adnan has another appeal hearing and I am sure we will hear the result of it. Unless something crazy comes up with the DNA evidence, we'll be left wondering.

frummy613

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 2:39 pm
Have they already done the DNA testing? When will we know the results?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics