Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why is sushi so popular?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 3:32 am
my relative once koshered a nearby sushi place for a simcha (supposed to be an excellent sushi place) and that was the best sushi I ever had. I like sushi but I don't crave it...I don't think I would order it in a restaurant if there were other choices. Its a nice lunch option for me. Its definitely a healthier option then many other take out foods.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 3:35 am
Sushi is like a Woody Allen movie- for every person that genuinely likes it, there are 10 more just pretending to in order to seem sophisticated Twisted Evil

November

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 3:41 am
amother wrote:
Sushi is like a Woody Allen movie- for every person that genuinely likes it, there are 10 more just pretending to in order to seem sophisticated Twisted Evil

You really think so? In our family, we all love sushi, including the kiddos.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:04 am
November wrote:
You really think so? In our family, we all love sushi, including the kiddos.

Nah. She's just being obnoxious.

I doubt that sushi is considered a food for a sophisticated palate. Then again, I don't think that Woody Allen films are he exclusive province of sophisticated viewers.

I love good sushi, because I like the taste. others don't like the taste. End of story. Why are people trying to make it into anything more than that?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:07 am
I always wondered. I like heimish or generous Euro food. I got used to sushi....

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:41 am
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

This is the proportion used when preparing the rice.

You can fool yourself you are eating healthy and salt and sugar are appealing to the taste buds.

Frum people cook fish with sugar and salt for traditional Shabbos food. Salads are often loaded with sugar and salt as are other foods. It is kind of a natural transition to other fish eaten the same. Vegetables with salt and sugar are a bonus.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:49 am
Chai in Monsey the best sushi. It took me quite a while to taste it. Now I see there are very few out there that I like-Chai's heaven

devash1

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:51 am
I like it because my whole family likes it and it's a quick go to dinner when I don't have anything else in the house. I've only had it out in a restaurant once, I can't see buying it when it's so easy and cheap to make at home.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:59 am
amother wrote:
Chai in Monsey the best sushi. It took me quite a while to taste it. Now I see there are very few out there that I like-Chai's heaven

Why are you amother for this??

My diet doctor took apart a roll of sushi to debunk any health myths. It was a full serving of rice and about 2 tablespoons of protein and veggies. Not terribly healthy after all.

Oh, and for Monsey sushi I like Evergreen and Rockland Kosher tempura rolls. I wouldn't do raw.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 6:08 am
^^ This is what I call healthy. Yes, there are carbs. Your brain needs carbs. Havelai most people ate that healthy as sushi. But again, I'm not from diet and fit culture, at ALL.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 6:44 am
Try to be anonymous whenever possible- I see you're also. The chai roll godzilla and salmon tempura no one else does it like chai.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 6:53 am
Squishy wrote:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

For how much rice?

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:10 am
DrMom wrote:
For how much rice?

2 cups for normal sushi.

Chai sushi which amother is touting seems to use more sugar and salt. It is not subtle at all. It hits you over the head and overwhelms the fish. I understand the restaurant pleasing its clientele.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:15 am
I think the popularity of sushi is part of the Brooklyn frum community herd mentality.

Once someone is doing something EVERYONE is doing it and jumps on the bandwagon. There's no such thing as something that appeals to some people's taste but not to everyone's.

This has happened to me a few times when I shop in BP/Flatbush (not very often). I ask for a certain item, style of clothing, etc.

The saleslady tells me, "Why do you want THAT? We don't carry THAT. EVERYONE is wearing this."

Once they've decreed that "everyone" is wearing a certain style, be it a type of shoes, black clothing, etc., suddenly no other option is available because "NOBODY" is buying it.

Same for EVERYONE eating sushi.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:19 am
Squishy wrote:
2 cups for normal sushi.

Chai sushi which amother is touting seems to use more sugar and salt. It is not subtle at all. It hits you over the head and overwhelms the fish. I understand the restaurant pleasing its clientele.

I just looked up a few recipes, and it seems this is the proportion for 2 cups raw rice, or 4 cups cooked sushi rice.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Or that is the ratio for 3 cups uncooked rice, or 6 cups cooked rice, according to this recipe:
http://makemysushi.com/index.p......html

And they say that 1 cup uncooked rice = 3 rolls. So it's really not so much sugar all in all.

Maybe the places around you make it sweeter?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:25 am
Puke never tasted it and not planning on it either! Do you make sure it's really dead before taking a bite?

morah

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
I think the popularity of sushi is part of the Brooklyn frum community herd mentality.

Once someone is doing something EVERYONE is doing it and jumps on the bandwagon. There's no such thing as something that appeals to some people's taste but not to everyone's.

This has happened to me a few times when I shop in BP/Flatbush (not very often). I ask for a certain item, style of clothing, etc.

The saleslady tells me, "Why do you want THAT? We don't carry THAT. EVERYONE is wearing this."

Once they've decreed that "everyone" is wearing a certain style, be it a type of shoes, black clothing, etc., suddenly no other option is available because "NOBODY" is buying it.

Same for EVERYONE eating sushi.

I hate to stereotype, but I'm inclined to agree. My non-frum relatives find it hilarious that you can buy sushi in any kosher pizza shop. Apparently, non-kosher restaurants don't randomly carry sushi. Japanese restaurants or "Asian fusion" places, yes; but any other cuisine to which sushi is unrelated, no. Also, the average non-Jewish "simcha" generally doesn't have a sushi bar like every frum simcha since 1997. It's like someone decided sushi is so in EVERYONE has to have it, even if youre a hole in the wall pizza shop. It's rather tedious at this point. I used to love sushi, now I am almost totally uninterested because it became overdone.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:36 am
Never saw sushi in a pizza shop here in Israel. But I do like Agenda at the entrance to Caesaria. Combo coffee shop + sushi bar.

http://agenda.rest.co.il/

Minato is also excellent: http://minato.co.il/ .
I used to love Yoko Uno in Ramat Gan, but they closed years ago.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 8:09 am
At a simcha I find sushi inelegant / gauche.

rachel91

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 8:22 am
Squishy wrote:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt

You can fool yourself you are eating healthy and salt and sugar are appealing to the taste buds.

Frum people cook fish with sugar and salt for traditional Shabbos food. Salads are often loaded with sugar and salt as are other foods. It is kind of a natural transition to other fish eaten the same. Vegetables with salt and sugar are a bonus.

I use different proportions for the rice vinegar( half a cup for 3 cups of uncooked rice).
1/4 cup of sugar and a bit of salt.
I like making sushi at home and prepare it on quite a regular basis.
We don't have a sushi place here, one restaurant used to have it, but not anymore.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics