Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where should a retired MO couple live

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:10 am
Planning Aliyah in the next few years ,
Where should a retired MO couple live ?
My dream would be in Jerusalem rechavia but that is out of my budget to buy something ?
Tell me about what you think, All ideas are welcome!

LisaS

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:13 am
My parents have been very happy in Modiin. Can you tell us more about what you are looking for?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:15 am
My parent, in their 60s just moved to alon shvut. I have friends who have parents in neve daniel, modiin, chashmonaim, karnei shomron, efrat. It really depends what yo uare looking for and your level of modern and orthodox. I know that that is a terrible question, but it is one here in Israel.

Good luck with your aliyah!!!

November

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:20 am
How about renting in Rechavia for a year or 2 and take some time to look at options.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:35 am
OP here
Ok who we are? It is hard to describe but here goes
My DH is totally American . He davens three times a day with a minyan and likes to learn but also interested in computers, scotch and sci fi
I am still deciding if I want to cover my hair. I do it mostly but am very ambivalent about it, I will probably have to deal with any bureaucratic issues as I speak hebrew and my DH does not, we hope to have half our adult children in Israel when we go and half still in the states
I enjoy being social and love warm welcoming people .
Ask me questions and I can answer them.that would be easier than writing things about myself.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 5:37 am
efrat sounds up your ally. so does modiin.
and in terms of covering your hair, any MO community will welcome you hair covering or not.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 6:16 am
My in-laws are in Arnona & are happy and have lots of friends there (way more than expected actually)... Friends in-laws are in German Colony, Katamonim...are there still retirees in Rehavia or have many of them been priced out? my grandparents used to live there, but I think much of my parents generation ended up moving into less expensive neighborhoods.

There are a nice number here in Maale Adumim, and even more 50+ Anglos who aren't retired yet...

Modiin is really only good if you are going to have a car as it is a place that is harder to get around on public transportation --- it's also a younger city in general (from what I've seen)...

Efrat is also trickier without a car...

Where do your children live?

grace413

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:27 am
catonmylap wrote:

There are a nice number here in Maale Adumim, and even more 50+ Anglos who aren't retired yet...

Wave
(I'm retired but my DH isn't) Yes, nice numbers of 50-60's here in MA, with growing amount of activites geared to that age group. We have almost all essential services here.

A lot depends on where your children are and how close you want to be to them.

Hatzlacha.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:35 am
My best friend is a retired American woman, and she LOVES Maale Adumim. Great shuls and great neighbors. If you're interested, I can find out what area she's living in. She says the rents are pretty affordable, and the bus in front of her house goes straight to all the major shopping centers. She's lost half of her sight, and still manages to get around on her own just fine. She barely speaks a word of Ivrit, and doesn't have any trouble communicating with the neighbors and shop keepers.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 7:42 am
Will you have a car?
What is your budget?
Do you prefer urban or rural communities?
Do you prefer a mixed or religiously homogeneous community?

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 8:56 am
What about a different more affordable neighborhood in Jerusalem? Unless you have a very particular reason to be davka in Rechavia, it sounds like you could be happy in other areas there, ,if affordable (big IF sadly, since Jlem is so expensive.)

I also think Efrat sounds like it could work for you, but you'd need a car. It's very friendly IME.

I don't know MA at all, and don't know Modiin for your age, but really like Modiin.

sister

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 11:16 am
baka

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:42 pm
My parents are happy in Kiryat Moshe, but that may partially be due to my brother and his family being a 5 minute walk away. Also my father got involved in Machon Meir- learning and doing their ulpan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions