Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah- health insurance & tuition questions

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 11:16 am
We are starting to contemplate aliyah and have so many questions so I am going to start with these 2:

How does health insurance work in Israel? and what if we come for a year or 2 before actually making aliyah?
How does the school system work? what are the school hours and how much is the average tuition? We would not be looking for Israeli chareidi, but rather something more middle of the road between american yeshivish and just plain frum (chardal?)? Does such a thing exist? starting with gan and up.

I will probably be following up with more questions, but these are 2 big ones that will factor into whether we will be able to afford the move.

Thank you!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 11:18 am
non israeli citizens do not get insurance. they must pay for it. Plain as that.

Schools someone else will have to answer as I send my daughter to the public religious school.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 11:21 am
OP here,

Does anyone know how and how much insurance is if you are not yet a citizen? Is there any way to continue using american insurance until you are an israeli citizen?
and how does it work once you are a citizen?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 11:22 am
Op again

what is the public religious school like?

working hard

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:38 pm
As far as insurance,
1. find out if your insurance plan covers international and what is covered. If it is, how does it work? Do you need to pay in advance? How much do you get back?
2. If you do not make Aliyah, once you are in the country for 6 months, you can get onto Bituach L'Umi. you will need to pay a monthly fee (about NIS 140 a person last I checked) and they will cover your insurance. For the first 6 months you will need to pay out of pocket. The Kupot (Meuchedet, Klalit, Macabee and Le'Umit) charge a small fee per month for the family. When we did this 4 years ago it was about NIS 100 a month. I do not know what it is now, for basic insurance. We also paid for upgrades for me and the baby for an additional NIS 50 a month.
As you can see, It was not a major expense. Maybe someone else can give you updated numbers.

heidi

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 1:25 pm
Public religious schools vary by community. Where we live the public religous school (mamad= mamlachti dati) has separate classes from first grade, teaches gmara to boys starting in 5th grade, ends by about 1:45 latest and gives equal time to secular and kodesh subjects- meaning math could be the first subject, and one day there will be no tora, but the next day one tora and two gmara classes.
However, there are public religious torani schools-- there the days are longer and there is more of an emphasis on lemudei kodesh.
OP, you'll need to ask about specific areas to get any real type of answers about schools
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions