Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim theme? I'm gonna scream!

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:13 am
What I want to know is why do people go crazy trying to work with a theme on Purim if they just can't? Why are there hundreds of "help me with xyz theme" before Purim, enlisting imamother's help? If you can't do a theme, don't be pressured to, and just don't theme your Mishloach Manos, that's all. Nobody is going to say anything, trust me!

If you absolutely must, why not just pick obvious themes that are easy to do without getting assistance?
Colors (bunch of foods in the same color)
Meal (give a breakfast, a lunch, a supper, etc.)
Two-item (a wine and a box of chocolates or homemade thing)

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:23 am
I thought "I'm gonna scream!" was your theme Very Happy
I think themes are dumb as well. I mean, I do appreciate people's themes, they're cute, but everything ends up getting thrown out, and people tend to sacrifice the quality of the MM for it to fit their theme. I'm glad I don't care enough to drive myself nuts trying to come up with a theme.
Nuts . . . hmmmm . . . .

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:34 am
Ita. People love doing the themes because they enjoy it, and thats great and all, but arent mm supposed to be a gift? A gift is supposed to keep in mind what the recipiant would like to receive, not what the giver wants to give. So yes, your kids dressed as bakers are adorable. However, I'm not going any where near the cookies in the shape of bakers hats/rolling pins/dougnuts. The poem was cute, but now its in the trash.

alef12

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 1:11 pm
I used to try to do a different "theme" every year. No poems or anything, just coordinating the mishloach manos to DH and my costumes (kids do what they want to do, I don't know how people get all their kids to wear the same costume matching their themes?!) Anyways, I made a specific mishloach manos twice (a few different types of bread rolls) and I found that people were mentioning them to me (mmmm your rolls were so delicious, we enjoyed them so much, can't wait till next purim etc...) So now I just stick with that. It's my "thing" lol. It's so much less stress for me (no thinking up themes), my rolls are yummy (if I do say so myself ;-) ), and people like them. It's a win, win!

Now this isn't to say I don't enjoy getting cool themed mishloach manos, I also enjoy reading the poems. It's definitely a part of some people's creative expression. More power to them! Just for me, I love the less stress that comes from giving the same every year.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 1:16 pm
[quote="watergirl"]Ita. People love doing the themes because they enjoy it, and thats great and all, but arent mm supposed to be a gift? A gift is supposed to keep in mind what the recipiant would like to receive, not what the giver wants to give. So yes, your kids dressed as bakers are adorable. However, I'm not going any where near the cookies in the shape of bakers hats/rolling pins/dougnuts. The poem was cute, but now its in the trash.[/quote]

I dont eat anything I even remotely think it was baked in someones house. as many moms likethe kids to help. I amokay with that but I wont be eating it. so please dont bake for me. I only eat stuff that has a obvious store bought package.
please dont waste time money and energy it will be in the trash. I dont think you want that.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 1:18 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
I thought "I'm gonna scream!" was your theme Very Happy

I think it should be. It'd be very original.

You could make these cookies.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 2:10 pm
My theme is like this, generally:
Food. Another food. Something baked if I feel like it.
Costumes: Take kids to local costume gemach. Show them which stuff is their size. Let them wear what they like best.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 2:20 pm
I finished your poem for you:

Purim theme;
I'm gonna scream;
Let me tell you what I mean.
So much food
Affects my mood.
I hope you don't think I'm too rude.
It's not funny,
I tell you honey,
Instead of spending so much money,
What I wish is
Food delicious
Or instead something nutritious.
I'll tell you dear,
I do not care,
If there is a theme in there.

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 3:24 pm
Haaa!! I do enjoy doing themes that are out of the box but it would take ALL THE FUN out of it if I consulted with every person out there. Getting an idea from someone makes it unoriginal to me and I'd just pass.

I'm still working on my theme for this year. I have the idea down pat but don't know yet what to put inside. Last year was soccer, the year before was poker. This year is.....

glow in the dark!

Hester panim and all Wink

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 3:26 pm
PSA: If anyone has little kids at home AND bakes something for their Mishloach Manos, a helpful tip is to add a label onto it that reads "No little hands aided in the making of this Mishloach Manos. Enjoy!"

I got that idea from a friend who loves baking things and lives with a houseful of kids. I'm sure her Mishloach Manos's regifting rate is pretty low.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 4:17 pm
I never understood why the theme isn't simply

PURIM !!!

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 4:41 pm
greenfire wrote:
I never understood why the theme isn't simply

PURIM !!!

That is my theme. It was my theme last year and it will be my theme this year:)

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 6:34 pm
mandr wrote:
PSA: If anyone has little kids at home AND bakes something for their Mishloach Manos, a helpful tip is to add a label onto it that reads "No little hands aided in the making of this Mishloach Manos. Enjoy!"

I got that idea from a friend who loves baking things and lives with a houseful of kids. I'm sure her Mishloach Manos's regifting rate is pretty low.

One year by Megillah there were girls dressed up as bakers and the mother was going around telling all her friends that her daughters had baked the Mishloach Manos. I remember thinking to myself that at least everyone knows not to eat it Very Happy

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:20 pm
seeker wrote:
My theme is like this, generally:
Food. Another food. Something baked if I feel like it.
Costumes: Take kids to local costume gemach. Show them which stuff is their size. Let them wear what they like best.

Practical parenting at its best.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:23 pm
I already have the theme for my costume: 100% Polly Esther.

climbing613

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 12:50 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I finished your poem for you:

Purim theme;
I'm gonna scream;
Let me tell you what I mean.
So much food
Affects my mood.
I hope you don't think I'm too rude.
It's not funny,
I tell you honey,