Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Way too comfy

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 12:09 am
I hold an administrative position in my workplace.
I have a few team members that are in my department that I work hand in hand with on projects.
I am a very comfortable person to be around cuz I have an "everything goes" personality which on the one hand is great but I see that some of the guys in my group make themselves a bit too heimish and I don't know if I should say anything.
Its like shoes off, feet up and the like that you'd find in your own living room happening in my office.
Definitely a spectacle for passerby but these guys aren't fazed. I honestly couldn't care less except if their feet smell but I wonder what ppl think when they see it. I say that as there has been a comment made here and there.
Should I say something or let it go?

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 1:41 am
In front of the desk with the feet, but NOT facing him, say, wiggling your fingers toward the feet, "Uh, chill that. Feet off." They will go down. If they don't, turn and face him with raised eyebrows and cocked head but don't say anything.

If it keeps happening, and they want to talk business, wiggle your fingers toward the feet and say "this is not what I want to see" and withhold your necessary comments until the feet disappear.

It does make you look bad. Your instincts are right.

They can be trained. It isn't really any big deal. You are not asking anything huge.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:13 am
Just say (in a friendly way), "Okay guys! Shoes on! You're still at work - not in your mom's living room."

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:28 am
DrMom wrote:
Just say (in a friendly way), "Okay guys! Shoes on! You're still at work - not in your mom's living room."

Op here. I was considering saying something like that but feel awkward as I am younger and they are older, not that it really makes a difference.
The other day one had shoes off and feet up on chair leaving me without a seat when I walked in. I said excuse me and kind of wagged my finger with an " I don't think so buddy!"
But its a heimish situation and currently I'm just pretending I don't notice instead of making an awkward situation.
But when passerby say comments I wonder if I should start setting rules.
We all work best when in our comfort zone so I don't want to rock the boat either. It seriously resembles a living room more than an office as is.

nyer1

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:27 am
is this some kind of corporate environment? very typical for emails to go out periodically about dress code and personal hygiene. my brother in law once showed me a VERY funny email in his office that was sent to the whole company regarding proper dress and hygiene and etiquette. just a friendly reminder to all. people seem to get the hint, especially if the email refers to specific issues.
yours could address the dress code, as well as personal hygiene, and a friendly reminder to literally KEEP YOUR SHOES ON AND FEET ON THE GROUND.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:50 am
Are you the only woman and they are all men? That's what it sounds like from your post. I'd steer clear - sounds like you are dealing with an old boys club. been there, doing that!

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:18 pm
What Dolly & DrMom said. I suggest putting up a sign that I have seen in fast-food places: "No shoes, no shirt, no service." There's a fine line between laid-back and inappropriate, and these guys have crossed it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:34 pm
if you are not comfortable with the corporate culture, perhaps you should look for another job. I don't have a problem with bare feet or feet up in a creative , team situation (not a caterers kitchen however) and if you don't like it, leave.

once I worked where there was beer flowing freely all day every day. I wasn't comfortable. The bosses knew it and they sacked me as soon as they could.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:56 pm
Are you the manager? If youre just a team member I wouldn't lecture them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics