Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Getting to school in the winter

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:45 am
Is anyone else having trouble with this.
I find that getting to school in deep winter takes an extra 15 minutes due to the extra time needed for winter gear + extra time for getting buckled in when all bundled up + extra time for driving on slippery roads.
And yet, I have been working with a morning schedule/routine for several months and it's hard to suddenly shift everything 15 minutes earlier.
I feel like I missed the memo and now it's two weeks into "deep winter" and after two weeks of showing up late every day, I'm only just going to start shifting our morning schedule now. And it could take another two weeks till we get the hang of the new routine.

Please only respond with understanding. I'm not looking for ideas or advice right now - I'm posting this really to hear people say, "yes, we are also having a hard time with this" or "Yes that used to be hard for us too".

Thank you.

spring13

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:52 am
Yup. It snowed last Friday, just an inch or two of powder, and getting the car brushed off added a bunch of time to my trip - not to mention the slower traffic. I was disgruntled because up until that point, when we walked outside and I realized how much I had to do, I'd done a decent job of getting everyone ready on time! I think I set a record for tardiness at work last week.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:14 am
I had the same rude awakening last year. people kept asking me how I was mannaging mornings. I Was feeling so good about myself because it wasn't much of a struggle. Then the cold weather set in. Bundling up the kids and loading them into the car was suddenly such an ordeal. And cleaning up after a snow...
By the time spring came we had it all down Smile

Miri7

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:44 am
Yes, it's tough! I also find that when the sun comes up so late, it's harder to get everyone going, much less get people up and moving earlier! Each year I tell myself that I will start to adjust to a new schedule earlier, but it doesn't happen. My kids have been late to school twice this week (so far). Doing the best I can!

(And in the summertime, it's hard to get kids to fall asleep at a reasonable hour when it's light out at 8 or 9pm.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers