Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with scallions?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:08 am
So darling husband picked up some groceries for me and accidentally got me scallions instead of celery.
Scallions are a foreign veggie to me and I have no idea what to do with them.

Any recipes for a main or side dish that uses scallions?

I also have onions sautéing and a head of garlic roasting for a zucchini soup (which I'd have liked to use the celery for). Can I add scallions or is that too much?

Thanks!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:14 am
Scallions are great in foods like salad or stir fry. I'm not sure they would work well in soup.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:22 am
dice them into hard boiled eggs with some olive oil & pepper

sliced tomatoes, scallions, olive oil salt & zaatar

put atop any cheese on crackers

use them like you would onions

they're good for fried rice too

water_bear88

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:28 am
They're also good on top of certain soups, such as vichysoisse.

kb

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:07 am
Fresh and easy (?) Has a great recipe for a Asian burgers that's simple, uses scallions, and freezes well.

Mix into tuna and egg salad.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:32 am
Thanks for the suggestions!
For the stir fry or the fried rice, do you use scallions instead of onions or in addition to onions?
Also, is the vichysoisse something like potato leek soup? Where do the scallions go?
Thanks again!

water_bear88

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:39 am
tigerwife wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions!
For the stir fry or the fried rice, do you use scallions instead of onions or in addition to onions?
Also, is the vichysoisse something like potato leek soup? Where do the scallions go?
Thanks again!

Vichyssoise is sort of a cream of potato and leek soup, usually served cold. I love it for Shavuot, but it's nice any time of year. I use cut-up scallion as a garnish- the green is really pretty against the white, and it adds a lot to the flavor.

centurion

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:43 am
Sesame noodles from kosher pallete

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....46121

mille

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:49 am
Scallions are more mild than regular onions, and they are best served as a garnish or in a cold dish. When I add scallions to a hot dish like an udon noodle soup or a stir fry, I add them right at the end while serving. Otherwise, sesame noodles are quite popular and use a lot of scallions!

I love scallions. They are great in tuna or egg salads, on salad, in all sorts of asian dishes, in scallion pancakes (savory pancakes with a doughy texture), on nachos... Lots of things. Scallions are actually one ingredient I always buy every time I buy produce!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:55 pm
You can put chopped scallion (or what we call salad onions) into omelettes. Also you can just chop them, put in a ziplock bag and freeze till you need it. Just make sure you cut off tough outer green bits, and slice the top part in half lengthwise to get rid of dirt and to check bugs. Tightly rolled white bits are ok.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:33 pm
Thanks everyone! Mrs. Bissli, that idea of freezing the scallions is brilliant! So I carefully cut them all up, soaked them, and then cleaned each piece from dirt and bigs, and left it on a towel to air dry so that I can freeze them.

Then I forgot about them. Found them on my counter in the morning Sad Sad Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics