Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else see this?

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 7:40 am
Parents are investigated for letting kids 6 and 10 walk without adult supervision.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/20/......html

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 7:49 am
Is it a law? Not here.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:17 am
It is a law in Maryland, where this happened. "Under Maryland law, a child must be at least eight years old to be left alone in a house or car. State law also says a child must be at least 13 years old to baby-sit another child."

In NY there are no laws regarding the age children may be left alone or babysit siblings but 12-13 is recommended by child services. I guess if they saw younger kids walking around they might look into it if there was reasonable cause, like if the child looked neglected.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:23 am
My 5 year old used to ride his bike to gan alone but signs in elevators in Israel prohibit riding an elevator alone before age 14. (not sure if they're protecting the children or the elevator Scratching Head )

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:25 am
Sanguine wrote:
Is it a law? Not here.

Lol, nopes, definitely not in Israel.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:33 am
Saw this on the news. Ridiculous. CPP doesn't have anything better to do?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:36 am
Sanguine wrote:
My 5 year old used to ride his bike to gan alone but signs in elevators in Israel prohibit riding an elevator alone before age 14. (not sure if they're protecting the children or the elevator Scratching Head )

assault in elevators is a risk.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:43 am
Raisin wrote:

I asked several Israelis about this rule, because I thought it was so odd. They all said, "What if the elevator gets stuck? What is there's a power cut and the child is all alone in there?" Nobody said anything about assault. I don't think that ever crossed anyone's mind.

Brownies

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:47 am
gp2.0 wrote:
It is a law in Maryland, where this happened. "Under Maryland law, a child must be at least eight years old to be left alone in a house or car. State law also says a child must be at least 13 years old to baby-sit another child."

So how does this work in practice? You can leave an 8 year old at home alone but not together with a 10 year old because that would be the 10 year old babysitting?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:47 am
DrMom wrote:
I asked several Israelis about this rule, because I thought it was so odd. They all said, "What if the elevator gets stuck? What is there's a power cut and the child is all alone in there?" Nobody said anything about assault. I don't think that ever crossed anyone's mind.

The elevators in my building have little cameras installed. Yes, assault is a risk.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:52 am
Raisin wrote:
My 10 year old would never assault anyone Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 8:58 am
DrMom wrote:
I asked several Israelis about this rule, because I thought it was so odd. They all said, "What if the elevator gets stuck? What is there's a power cut and the child is all alone in there?"
These are the Israelis who have to have Visiting day when their 10 year old goes to 2 days of Machane Bnei Akiva. Rolling Eyes . Love this country, they totally overprotect kids till they're 14 and 4 years later they hand them an M-16 and send them out to war. Kids grow up quickly in Israel, they just start late

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:03 am
Brownies wrote:
So how does this work in practice? You can leave an 8 year old at home alone but not together with a 10 year old because that would be the 10 year old babysitting?

No, in MD, the 8 yo can be responsible for himself, and the 10 yo for himself, so no babysitter needed.

Additionally, the law is at 11 (I believe), one is able to babysit his sibling over the age of 1, and not wait till 13.

What this has to do with walking home I don't quite understand.

I don't live in MD any more, and I allow my 8 and 9 yos to walk to shul, kollel, friends' homes together. And I also allow them to walk my 6.5 yo for part of that distance if it's Shabbos (we don't live in an exclusively Jewish neighborhood, but there is definitely less traffic on Shabbos).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics