Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Major Snow storm coming to New York - prepare yourself
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:55 pm
http://www.weather2000.com/NY_Snowstorms.html
FYI- list of NYC historical snow storms. This one predicts to be the icing

elliegator8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:28 pm
They say this every year, and it ends up being a big slushy disappointment after sudden warmer temps :/

rain

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:36 pm
according to my friend who is a speech therapist in the DOE, all after school programs have been canceled for tomorrow (MONDAY) and staff will be dismissed once students are

mille

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:57 pm
elliegator8 wrote:
They say this every year, and it ends up being a big slushy disappointment after sudden warmer temps :/

Oh, like how in 2011 they were calling for a huge hurricane in August and told us to be super duper prepared, and it was just a little bit of rain?

But wait, in 2012, they called for a huge hurricane and told us to be super duper prepared. Instead, we all clucked our tongues and insisted that it wouldn't be a big deal, because the LAST hurricane wasn't.

That was Hurricane Sandy, btw!

They don't normally call for 20-30 INCHES of snow once every single year. They simply don't. Yes, sometimes a forecast of 10-12 inches will suddenly go down to 4-6 inches and we'll end up with a smattering of snow that melts by noon (due to a difference in models of an impending storm, and they obviously guessed wrong which model would end up happening), but it's rare that up to 3 FEET of snow will end up turning into nothing.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:01 pm
alef12 wrote:
I'm pretty sure we got over 3' in 1996. The snowdrifts were 4' to close to 5' it was crazy. It snowed nonstop for 2 days.
Now I'm sounding like my father and that blizzard in the 60s LOL

My little brother was born then Smile I was four and weirdly enough I don't remember the snow at all only the birth Wink

livinginisrael

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:04 pm
My kids are off for midwinter from this coming Friday to next Wednesday. Would not be fun if they were off most of this week too

supty

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:04 pm
elliegator8 wrote:

Why a disappointment?! I HOPE it ends up being just a little bit of slush Smile doubt it though...

elliegator8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:14 pm
mille wrote:
Oh, like how in 2011 they were calling for a huge hurricane in August and told us to be super duper prepared, and it was just a little bit of rain?

But wait, in 2012, they called for a huge hurricane and told us to be super duper prepared. Instead, we all clucked our tongues and insisted that it wouldn't be a big deal, because the LAST hurricane wasn't.

That was Hurricane Sandy, btw!

They don't normally call for 20-30 INCHES of snow once every single year. They simply don't. Yes, sometimes a forecast of 10-12 inches will suddenly go down to 4-6 inches and we'll end up with a smattering of snow that melts by noon (due to a difference in models of an impending storm, and they obviously guessed wrong which model would end up happening), but it's rare that up to 3 FEET of snow will end up turning into nothing.

Why such a hostile response? Sheesh, I don't think I said anything that warranted such a mean tone

monseychick

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:34 pm
And I have a Chasana at the Atrium that I absolutely must attend on tues nite. They still are angry at me for missing callas sisters wedding 2 years ago due to a major blizzard

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:41 pm
I am sending DH to work with a change of clothes and food for 2 days. I don't think this storm will be nothing, and if work will be open Tuesday, DH will want to be there.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:00 am
morah wrote:
Nobody's closing tomorrow. It's not supposed to start till the afternoon. And I don't think it's supposed to get really bad till the evening rush, so there is unlikely to be early dismissal either (maybe at yeshivahs that go till 6).

We already have early dismissal, and we'll be told if anything changes. Parents need to plan for littl'uns to be home early,and the school wants to be sure that students and staff are home before the streets get hazardous.

But everything will be open in the morning, at the very least. And even if this is a snowpocolypse, urban stores will be open again by Thursday.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:53 am
monseychick wrote:
And I have a Chasana at the Atrium that I absolutely must attend on tues nite. They still are angry at me for missing callas sisters wedding 2 years ago due to a major blizzard

Then maybe they should stop planning weddings for blizzard season. Or maybe you should get new friends who care more for your safety.

mille

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:33 am
elliegator8 wrote:
Why such a hostile response? Sheesh, I don't think I said anything that warranted such a mean tone

Not hostile at all, don't read anything into it. Remember, you don't have body language and tone over the internet!

I am just saying, what is the harm in being prepared? A lot of people were NOT prepared when Sandy hit, and they suffered for it. Most people who were not prepared decided it wasn't a big deal because of "previous years", which is a silly assumption to make. Every storm is different. This particular storm happens to be one where both models were pointing at a decent amount of snow, but it looks like the European model is the one coming to fruition, with 20-30 inches.

Seriously, I say it out of concern. I really don't want anyone to blow it off and then be stuck inside for several days, possibly without power, possibly without running water, and without supplies to get them through. It's smart to always have things on hand to be prepared just in case, but especially so when you know something might happen!!

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:00 am
mille wrote:
...I am just saying, what is the harm in being prepared? A lot of people were NOT prepared when Sandy hit, and they suffered for it.

Yep, we're well-stocked with the proverbial bread, milk and toilet paper here in Baltimore in preparation for our 3-6 inches — no blizzard here, you guys from Lakewood on north get all the fun, if you want to call a blizzard fun. Wink It is snowing here now.

morah

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:01 am
Barbara wrote:
We already have early dismissal, and we'll be told if anything changes. Parents need to plan for littl'uns to be home early,and the school wants to be sure that students and staff are home before the streets get hazardous.

But everything will be open in the morning, at the very least. And even if this is a snowpocolypse, urban stores will be open again by Thursday.

I'm working today till after lunch. Then they are dismissing us because many of us (both teachers and students) commute. My kids are both on a regular schedule unless things get worse earlier than predicted. One is in a local preschool with everyone local, and the other is in a local daycare with everyone local. They did both say last night that there would be no late hours.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:21 am
zaq wrote:
Then maybe they should stop planning weddings for blizzard season. Or maybe you should get new friends who care more for your safety.

There shouldn't be chasunas from Nov. through Feb.?

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
There shouldn't be chasunas from Nov. through Feb.?

March.

You plan a wedding in the winter, in Monsey, you accept the risk that people aren't going to make it because of the weather.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:38 am
monseychick wrote:

I think you should start heading that way now ... :arrow:

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:46 am
Barbara wrote:
March.

You plan a wedding in the winter, in Monsey, you accept the risk that people aren't going to make it because of the weather.

March.
Which starts with an M
Which is close to P
Which stands for (between) Purim and Pesach
;-)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 1:26 pm
The NY airports are closed and the flights are cancelled so my DH has to fly Detroit to Paris and Paris to Tel Aviv to get to our grandson's bris in EY, I"Y"H".
So far, my NY grandkids are still in school but the CT grandkids left school at 12:30.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics