Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Price of a megillat esther?

chouli

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 11:49 am
I have been thinking about buying my husband a megilla to read from for purim.
As we are somehow tight on a budget, what is a normal price for a rather simpe one?

TIA

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:03 pm
They're not cheap! In America I think a simple one will run around $750, possibly more. Keep in mind that a basic mezuza costs $50, and think of how many mezuzos worth of work is involved in writing a megillah, not to mention the cost of the klaf. If you know a sofer who you can buy from directly, you can probably save some money.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:07 pm
$1,000

amother

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 2:27 pm
chouli wrote:
I have been thinking about buying my husband a megilla to read from for purim.
As we are somehow tight on a budget, what is a normal price for a rather simpe one?

TIA

My husband is a sofer and he said he would charge 800-900$ and he generally charges less than most sofrim because he's only been doing it for a couple years so he's still a "beginner"

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 2:43 pm
I was told $800 for a sofer's first one (not as nice).

amother

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:12 pm
My husband just sold a solid middle quality one for 1150. They are not cheap.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:23 pm
If making such a huge purchase I would say to get your dh involved tp make sure it is what he would want.

I wanted to buy one for my DH but realized quickly that there were differences - the height, the number of lines, and of course the quality.

In the end my DH did get a better megillah, which he brought to a second sofer to have double checked - not the entire thing, but the general look, etc. I think it was close to a $1000.

(He leins every year and always borrowed, now he has his own to lein from. Its a beautiful thing a purchase I'm very proud of)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 5:13 pm
My DH is a very long time baal koreh and owns 3 megillos (really). He has also bought something 7 more for some of our sons & sons-in-law. He has a sofer in EY who he really likes the ksav of. A month ago he paid $1,200 for one. He also knows someone in EY with a truly gorgeous ksav (and who we know is a true tzadik) who gets $2,000 for one. Besides price/quality, make SURE you get the correct ksav. For example, Litvish use Ksav Bais Yosef, Chassidish use Ksav Ari (not sure what Lubavitch or Minhag Sfard uses). While Litvish and Chassidish will usually be yotzei with someone reading from a different ksav, they may not want to lain from the different one themselves.

chouli

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 3:58 am
Thanks for all the information! I will definetly get my DH involved.
but honestly I don't know if we can really afford this right now...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics