Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
President Obama tells parents to get kids vaccinated

blueberries

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:18 pm
President Barack Obama is urging parents to get their children vaccinated in the face of a measles outbreak that has infected more than 100 people in the United States.

In excerpts from an interview with NBC News that will air on Monday, Obama said measles was a preventable disease.

He said that while he understood there were families concerned about the effect of vaccinations, he said the science was "pretty indisputable."

"We’ve looked at this again and again. There is every reason to get vaccinated, but there aren’t reasons to not," he said, adding: "You should get your kids vaccinated."

He said the larger the group of unvaccinated people, the more vulnerable it made small infants and people who cannot get vaccinations because of health issues.

There have been 91 measles cases in California, with at least 58 of those epidemiologically linked to a cluster that began at Disneyland in December. More than a dozen other cases have been confirmed in 13 other U.S. states and in Mexico.

No deaths have been reported in connection with the outbreak, which public health officials suspect began when an infected person from outside the United States visited Disneyland in Anaheim, California, between Dec. 15 and Dec. 20.

The measles outbreak has renewed a debate over the so-called anti-vaccination movement in which fears about potential side effects of vaccines, fueled by now-debunked research suggesting a link to autism, have led a small minority of parents to refuse to allow their children to be inoculated.

Some parents also opt not to have their children vaccinated for religious or other reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-te......html

aquarius1

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:38 am
Obama contributed to this measles epidemic by allowing illegal immigrants run free into our country and they can bring in all kinds of diseases from other countries with them. Why doesn't he screen them to make sure they are vaccinated before they travel here? Dont care about this topic, just thought I would share.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:14 am
How does tourism = illegal immigration?

Should we require immunization records at passport check counters at airports around the country?

aquarius1

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:30 am
If they are putting our lives in danger, maybe we should. After all that's how the measles outbreak started. Didn't start with American school children. What do you think?

yaeli83

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:47 am
Interesting idea, but since not all people vaccinate here, other countries should have the right to check your vaccination records as well. Just saying...

aquarius1

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:57 am
I agree. The only way to benefit from the full effects of herd immunity would be if all children as well as all adults are updated on their vaccines. Otherwise a big percentage of the population will remain at risk of catching and spreading the preventable diseases.

moonbeam

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:22 am
Yes, let's force everyone in the country to get vaccinated, then let's force everyone visiting to be fully vaccinated. Next logical step to that, lets make sure that no one in the US is allowed to visit a country where we cannot be sure that the full population is 100% vaccinated (bye bye trips to Israel).

Rolling Eyes

And anyway, after all, once the governement of a country starts monitoring its citizen's lives so closely, it always goes well for the Jews in the end....

......oh, wait, no it doesn't.........

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:25 am
aquarius1 wrote:
Obama contributed to this measles epidemic by allowing illegal immigrants run free into our country and they can bring in all kinds of diseases from other countries with them. Why doesn't he screen them to make sure they are vaccinated before they travel here? Dont care about this topic, just thought I would share.

Side note: but many of those illegal immigrants are up to date on vaccinations......... Most measles cases in the US have been imported from the Philippines or even the UK. Countries like Mexico & Ecuador have above a 97% vaccination record because I doubt that those countries allow for exemptions and parents go to the doctor and send their children to school. Also, the children who are born to illegals in the US usually get free health care or what not and get their vaccines although in CA there is a huge pocket in the Latin American (mostly Mexican) communities (and yes in some of the wealthier communities as well but not in all)

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:26 am
eemachana wrote:
Yes, let's force everyone in the country to get vaccinated, then let's force everyone visiting to be fully vaccinated. Next logical step to that, lets make sure that no one in the US is allowed to visit a country where we cannot be sure that the full population is 100% vaccinated (bye bye trips to Israel).

Rolling Eyes

And anyway, after all, once the governement of a country starts monitoring its citizen's lives so closely, it always goes well for the Jews in the end....

......oh, wait, no it doesn't.........

There are certain vaccines that are required for re entry into the US (such as yellow fever vaccine after being in a country where yellow fever is endemic. You can either get certification that you received the shot or be placed in a mandated quarantine....)

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:32 am
youngishbear wrote:
How does tourism = illegal immigration?

Should we require immunization records at passport check counters at airports around the country?

What are you talking about. She mentioned illegals. Not tourists. Unless that is the new PC term for them.

And yeah, if you want to force vaccinations on everyone in the US then you had better require them from tourists - real ones and illegal immigrants. What's the big deal. Often US citizens must apply for travel visas AND prove they are up to date on particular immunizations.

Personally, I am NOT in favor of mandatory vaccines of any variety. But no sense in forcing it on everyone just to let tons of un-vaxed into the country.

aquarius1

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:28 pm
I'm not for forcing vaccines on everyone either. But if it's going to be mandatory to get into schools and if it's going to be mandatory at the pediatricians office, it better be mandatory for everyone, especially foreign travelers. Otherwise what's the point? You'll still have plenty of adults walking around who are not fully vaccinated.

Obama's allowing thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants into our country everyday. Who knows what potentially harmful diseases they are bringing in. He should be more concerned about that.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:46 pm
Why isn't the Surgeon General addressing this issue (instead of Obama, of all people)?

(BTW, I had to google to see who the US Surgeon General is: Vivek Murthy. I don't recall reading any news stories in which he is featured. I am living in E"Y, so maybe I just missed it...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics