Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Camp dilemma. wwyd

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 2:05 pm
I have a dd who is 2.5 and a ds who is gonna be four this summer. They go to a pre school which they love that goes through summers and is from 18 months to age 4. Summer it is till six. I sent them both last year for the summer and they loved it.they are charging a ton this summer. (1100 for the summer). It is literally a minute from the office and it is a non week summer program and has all the in between days so basically barely any vacation.
Heres the problem. My sister and her friend are making a camp for ages 2.5 to 4. Exactly their ages. She is only $700. A summer. Hours are almost the Sam. Hers is a backyard camp. I want to send my son where he is now...but I am torn about my daughter. Here are the pros of sending where she is now and the cons.
pros:
1. No break between camp and school really..like three days altogether.
2. Right near my office
3. Knows most teacher and counselors
..same as school year.
4. Kids going probably be Same group so she knows them.
5. She really loves it
6. She is going next year so no shuffling her place.
cons:
1. Price is way more

If I send to my sister camp she will be with her ain and her best friens as counselors and possibly my little sister will go as well ( they are in same class now and will be next year also)
she will probably be fine both places but if they got often only one carpool....

Wwyd?

imaima

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
I have a dd who is 2.5 and a ds who is gonna be four this summer. They go to a pre school which they love that goes through summers and is from 18 months to age 4. Summer it is till six. I sent them both last year for the summer and they loved it.they are charging a ton this summer. (1100 for the summer). It is literally a minute from the office and it is a non week summer program and has all the in between days so basically barely any vacation.
Heres the problem. My sister and her friend are making a camp for ages 2.5 to 4. Exactly their ages. She is only $700. A summer. Hours are almost the Sam. Hers is a backyard camp. I want to send my son where he is now...but I am torn about my daughter. Here are the pros of sending where she is now and the cons.
pros:
1. No break between camp and school really..like three days altogether.
2. Right near my office
3. Knows most teacher and counselors
..same as school year.
4. Kids going probably be Same group so she knows them.
5. She really loves it
6. She is going next year so no shuffling her place.
cons:
1. Price is way more

If I send to my sister camp she will be with her ain and her best friens as counselors and possibly my little sister will go as well ( they are in same class now and will be next year also)
she will probably be fine both places but if they got often only one carpool....

Wwyd?

I think in the end, your financial situation will be the deciding point.
If I were you and if I knew my sister won't be upset that I didn't use her camp, I would send both kids to her regular preschool camp.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 2:45 pm
I would go for the more professional camp. Is she going to be continuing there after the summer anybow? Keep things consistent.
I feel a camp in a real building has a lot more place to run and play and not cramped in someone's backyard/basement.
What happens in the backyard camp of it's bad weather for a week at time?
Not having to deal wigh days in between to me is worth all the $$$. Sometimes you pay just as much for those full in days.
I also think it's best to avoid doing business with famliy

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 2:51 pm
Unless the $400 difference per child will make a very substantial difference to you, I would not send to your sister's camp.

(1) Your kids know the staff and campers at their school.

(2) It is more of a professional set-up.

(3) It's close to your office, and has better days.

(4) What happens if something goes wrong at your sister's camp? Even something not serious. Could you really confront your sister about it?

MMCH

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 2:54 pm
At that age I would stick with consistency over price.
For your 4 year old, I wouldn't say the same.

There is something to be said about not having that week off in btwn (which btw would cost you alot in babysitting if you didn't take off) AND being in the same building.

I had the exact scenario 2 summers ago with my then almost 3 year old, deciding btwn back yard and her upcoming school's daycamp. I was SO happy I sent her to the official day camp, even though it cost more. `It just made school that coming year so easy.

granolamom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:00 pm
if you can afford it, I'd say go with the place they are accustomed to.
for me, the biggest concern would be about doing business with family members. its good to avoid that when you can.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:08 pm
Op here. Thanks for all responses. Funny how you all say not tp fo business with family....I actually work for family and most of my extended family works together.
Anyways I can probably swing it so probably will keep them where they r.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers