Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Should you spank your child?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Do you spank your children?
Yes  
 2%  [ 3 ]
No  
 64%  [ 72 ]
Sometimes  
 25%  [ 28 ]
Other. I will explain.  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 111

kb

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:27 am
I can definitely understand why someone would be bothered by the concept of hitting a baby. (I do think that it was warranted - I needed a quick fix as I wanted my entire body to stay intact!) I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why one hit is worse than temporarily suffocating a baby a few times until she learns her lesson!

pickle321

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:56 am
kb wrote:
I can definitely understand why someone would be bothered by the concept of hitting a baby. (I do think that it was warranted - I needed a quick fix as I wanted my entire body to stay intact!) I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why one hit is worse than temporarily suffocating a baby a few times until she learns her lesson!

I never suffocated her! And it didn't hurt her, she actually smiled everytime I did it. I didn't insult u for your way of doing it don't insult me. I never said u were bad for doing it, but I didn't want to do it myself

kb

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:12 am
Didn't know I insulted you. That wasn't the intention. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

But honestly, if she was able to breathe why did she unlatch?

black sheep

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:46 pm
sequoia wrote:
While I am opposed to spanking, I think comparing it to your husband hitting you is a false analogy. You and your husband are adults and the bosses in your home. Your kids are children and under your authority. Your husband also can't make you eat vegetables, brush your teeth, or write thank you notes. In fact, while he can request, he can't make you do anything at all. Parents can and should make their kids do all these things.

I have read articles taking this concept to an extreme: they say just as you wouldn't want your husband to make you eat certain foods, do certain activities, speak respectfully, so too you should not force your kids to do anything. basically, treat your children as adults. and they don't mean this as a joke shock

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:51 pm
Iymnok wrote:
That's a very common reaction for mothers. The goal of holding him down is to teach self calming. He is so overworked he doesn't know how to calm himself down.
Hold him tight pinning his arms down. The whole time softly chanting"I'm helping you help yourself" he will scream that he can't breath, your cooking him, it hurts etc etc etc. Ignore it, he will eventually quiet down, then go limp. For 1/3 of the time it took to get to here cuddle and comfort him.
If you ask him about it later he will likely say he liked it.
This is more common with sensory kids.

We did everything you said. Multiple times. It didn't help him self regulate very well. He didn't like it.

He's not a sensory seeking child.

black sheep

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:52 pm
imaima wrote:
Wow this thread is going on for 5 pages? I thought the answer was no. Rolling Eyes

hahaha, I had the same thought, but the truth is this isn't a simple answer. I am against hitting of any kind, but I also think all kids are different and all parents are different and every situation is different. hitting doesn't itself make you an abusive parent, and if you never hit that doesn't mean you are a perfect parent. and I will admit that I scream sometimes (I try not to) and I wonder if hitting would cause less emotional damage than screaming. I must look very scary when I yell! I am not suggesting we all go hit our kids instead of yell at them, but I am saying it really isn't so simple. raising kids is a struggle, and we are all working on ourselves while we are raising the kids, and many of us struggle with finding the appropriate discipline on a daily basis, so that is why this has been going on for 5 pages.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:50 am
Iymnok wrote:
That's a very common reaction for mothers. The goal of holding him down is to teach self calming. He is so overworked he doesn't know how to calm himself down.
Hold him tight pinning his arms down. The whole time softly chanting"I'm helping you help yourself" he will scream that he can't breath, your cooking him, it hurts etc etc etc. Ignore it, he will eventually quiet down, then go limp. For 1/3 of the time it took to get to here cuddle and comfort him.
If you ask him about it later he will likely say he liked it.
This is more common with sensory kids.

You should be very careful and think a lot before writing such things. I know someone personally who excused all of her abusive behavior in this manner. Drowning children, sitting on them with her full 250 pounds and gagging them, etc. it didn't work. Today those children are so angry that they turned to hard drugs to escape the pain. Please don't say it's ok. Even for that one mentally ill mom, who needs your post to excuse herself in your mind.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics