Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
To mothers who bottle feed from birth
1  2  3  4  5  Next

supermama2

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:08 am
Do you use a bottle warmer or just room temp. water?
What kind of water do you use?
Which formula do you prefer? I'm leaning towards Similac Advance. Thank you!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:11 am
I never had a bottle warmer. I stuck it in a washing cup with hot water for a few minutes.
I used tap water.

bookie

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:30 am
supermama2 wrote:
Do you use a bottle warmer or just room temp. water?
What kind of water do you use?
Which formula do you prefer? I'm leaning towards Similac Advance. Thank you!!

I kept my urn on and Just used equal amount hot water and bottled water which made it perfect temperature.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:45 am
No warner. Only babies who are used to breast milk (which is warm) need bottles to be warm. We use room temperature water. Initially we used bottled water (kept on the counter) and then we got a brita. We use enfamil primarily because that's what the hospital we went to used (and therefore we got lots of samples) but I've given similac too.... Thankfully my babe isn't fussy

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:52 am
I think warm water might dissolve the powder better.
I also use half hot half cold

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:54 am
room temp water.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:03 am
according to most dr.'s, babies should be drinking cooled off boiled water for the first few months. I have a lot of experience with bottle making (didn't breast feed). This is what I did for newborns. I filled up all the bottles (I usually had 6-8 bottles) with boiled water - 3/4 of the amount of water that they would need. Right before each feeding I would add the formula, shake and then add hot water (the last 1/4) to the bottle and shake again. I found gentlease the best formula to use since my babies always had stomach issues. Similac is the most popular though. Some people prepared a few bottles with mixed formula and water in the fridge and then just added hot water before feeding but I was never organized enough for that.

(don't use tap water for a newborn and my dr. said not to use spring water either. I use spring water after 6 months)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:10 am
lkwdlady wrote:
according to most dr.'s, babies should be drinking cooled off boiled water for the first few months. I have a lot of experience with bottle making (didn't breast feed). This is what I did for newborns. I filled up all the bottles (I usually had 6-8 bottles) with boiled water - 3/4 of the amount of water that they would need. Right before each feeding I would add the formula, shake and then add hot water (the last 1/4) to the bottle and shake again. I found gentlease the best formula to use since my babies always had stomach issues. Similac is the most popular though. Some people prepared a few bottles with mixed formula and water in the fridge and then just added hot water before feeding but I was never organized enough for that.

(don't use tap water for a newborn and my dr. said not to use spring water either. I use spring water after 6 months)
Thats all I used. And BH my daughter is almost 7.
What is spring water? Do you mean filtered? Or bottled?

supermama2

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:11 am
Thank you for the replies, they are really a help.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

spring water is bottled water.

21young

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:16 am
I used room temp. bottled water, and either Similace or Enfamil. At the end of the day, for most babies it doesn't really make a difference, it's all a matter of what they get used to. This might help: https://pediatricinsider.wordp.....here/
It's a 5-part guide to infant formulas, written by a pediatrician.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:22 am
I use room temp filtered water with a little hot from the urn, my babies never drank well if the water wasnt warm but definitely try room temp alone first since it's annoying to always need hot water around I used target brand formula. It saved me a fortune.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:24 am
I haven't had a baby who took bottles in a while, but I did 3/4 tap water (maybe we had a filter? Don't remember) and 1/4 boiling water from the urn. I started off using similar but after a while I couldn't stand the smell so I started using materna but then they stopped carrying it here.

m+m

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:36 am
I used the bottles water they sell in the baby department. When I didn't have on me I used any other bottles water. I always warmed up the bottles using 1-2 oz of hot water.
I used the Target brand that is comparable to Similac advance. 1/3 of the price and it's the same stuff.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:37 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

the process of boiling water kills certain bacteria.

mochacoffee

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:40 am
Like someone else mentioned I just keep my urn plugged in all week and mix room temp water with hot water.

sheep

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:43 am
Another vote for Similac advance, but you really need to see how your baby reacts to it.

malkacooks

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:46 am
I used them all similac, emfamil, gerber, etc. whatever was on sale

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:38 pm
Giving infants unboiled water?!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:53 pm
Some decades ago it was either bottle or boiled. Nowadays, the peds have changed their mind.
I never boil, disinfect... like our grandmas use to.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics