Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
To mothers who bottle feed from birth
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:47 pm
It must be because I am Russian. I am horrified at the thought of giving a baby raw tap water.

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:52 pm
sequoia wrote:
It must be because I am Russian. I am horrified at the thought of giving a baby raw tap water.

Gastrointestinal dr told me he gives tap water to his own babies. I use the bjs brand formula. Similar to similac.

Last edited by scrltfr on Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:31 pm
tap water is really bad for anyone and certainly should not be used for infants.

http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/

formula has been found to contain bacterial contamination, which is the reason why boiling the water is recommended:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/p.....close

Last edited by smss on Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

self-actualization

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:35 pm
All of my very healthy children kneina hara were bottle fed from birth, and I used room temp filtered tap water. New York City tap water is actually very clean and healthy.

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:36 pm
smss wrote:
tap water is really bad for anyone and certainly should not be used for infants.

And you are a dr? A water expert?

sheep

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:46 pm
I give my baby tap water straight from the sink. I live in Boston.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:52 pm
scrltfr wrote:
And you are a dr? A water expert?

nope! sure am not Smile

so you have 2 choices of how to deal with this information:
1) write it off
2) look into the topic and make your own decision

I think it's a mistake to assume anything not acknowledged by your own personal doctor(s) isn't true. but do your own research.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:52 pm
This is just common sense. Is it that hard to boil water? I always have room temperature boiled water at my house.

You don't need a doctor for everything. Not giving infants raw tap water is pretty obvious.

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:54 pm
smss wrote:
nope! sure am not Smile

so you have 2 choices of how to deal with this information:
1) write it off
2) look into the topic and make your own decision

I think it's a mistake to assume anything not acknowledged by your own personal doctor(s) isn't true. but do your own research.

You made a pretty broad comment. And it was a gastrointestinal dr from chop that told me tap water is ok. I think he's pretty much an expert on what a baby can ingest.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:57 pm
sequoia wrote:

Water quality and safety is largely dependent on location. I see no reason not to drink regular tap water in NYC. Where I live, I don't drink the tap water because there are still lead pipes in the street.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:02 pm
American are so obsessed with car seats -- the fine nuances of rear facing, front facing, booster seats -- but then you go and give *babies* *raw* *tap water*.

I love being American, but at times like these it feels like bizarro world.

Saw, what is safe for an adult is not okay for a baby!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:03 pm
sequoia wrote:
American are so obsessed with car seats -- the fine nuances of rear facing, front facing, booster seats -- but then you go and give *babies* *raw* *tap water*.

I love being American, but at times like these it feels like bizarro world.

Saw, what is safe for an adult is not okay for a baby!

What in NYC tap water isn't safe for a baby?

(This is not an issue I faced as a breastfed)

Miri7

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:10 pm
I had read in a newspaper somewhere that tap water is highly regulated, while bottled water isn't. IIRC, some study showed that some bottled water acutally contained some icky stuff, while other bottled water was quite "clean." Anyhow, tap water quality in the US really varies by which water district you are in.

I can't speak to tap vs bottled in other countries - except to say that when I've traveled some places I was advised to drink only bottled water from sealed bottles. I would imagine that in some places you would NEVER give an infant unboiled tap water, as Sequoia mentioned above.

I primarily BF my kids, but I gave some formula to three of my children, was living in two different cities when they were small. In one city I used the tap water after researching it and deciding it was good. In the second city the water was more questionable (and tasted icky) so we used bottled water there. So I would recommend researching your local tap water quality, or asking your pediatrician who should be familiar with your local water.

Pink Flamingo

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:15 pm
I live in NYC and use filtered tap water. I warm it up in a mug of hot water but I'm trying to get my baby used to drinking it cooler. My baby eats similar sensitive and enfamil gentlease

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:38 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
Like someone else mentioned I just keep my urn plugged in all week and mix room temp water with hot water.
keeping an urn on all week, first off, doesnt that use a lot of electricity? And also, that builds up a lot of lime in the water. I would not want to use water like that.
Whats ther difference between the urn water and just boiling it right then and there?

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:08 pm
scrltfr wrote:
You made a pretty broad comment. And it was a gastrointestinal dr from chop that told me tap water is ok. I think he's pretty much an expert on what a baby can ingest.

it's not that a baby can't ingest it or that they'll get GI symptoms, but that they're being exposed to numerous chemicals which have long-term effects on health.

ven

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:32 pm
here we make the bottle with cold ( spring) water and then heat it up slightly by putting it into a cup with boiling water

ven

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:35 pm
Btw I just talked to a farmers wife who swears by giving her newborns raw milk straight from the cow . I find that a little extreme but just follow the pediatricians " advice of the day " and yes even that changes to....

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:00 pm
smss wrote:
it's not that a baby can't ingest it or that they'll get GI symptoms, but that they're being exposed to numerous chemicals which have long-term effects on health.

And now you are a water study expert?

Seriously, if you don't have the science to back it up please stop. If you need some sites to back you up I'm sure you can find them on the anti Vax threads.

dalia1

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:04 pm
I gave room temp water...if they never have a warm bottle - they wont know what they are missing and your life will be much easier.
I know people who warmed up the bottle and were in a real bind when they were at the store and baby wanted a warm bottle.
I dont like the taste of tap water where I am from so I use bottled spring water or drinking water.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics