Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Question about MM of "real food" intended to be used as....

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:54 pm
...used as part of the seuda.

I keep seeing posters (this year and in past years as well) talking about the food items they are giving out that can be used as part of the purim seuda.

Ok, so I should mention now that I am BT, DH is BT and neither of us have ever lived in a large frum community. Where we live there are only a handful of frum families and what's exchanged is generally junk food, or maybe fruit with wine or grape juice. Nobody is ever bringing me a kugel or a salami sandwich or a breakfast burrito. We have a seuda with our family and maybe another family if we invite and I cook a normal sit down meal.

So I guess I don't understand... when people are talking about delivering a deli sandwich or a bagel with lox or a milkshake or a quiche or whatever be the case.... how exactly are these items to be incorporated into somebody's seuda? Don't people sit down to proper meals? Or does the family just put out this schmorgesborg of random MM and people grab what interests them?

Truly wondering how delivering a single turkey sandwich with a side of chips (or any other single portion food) is useful to anyone's seuda, assuming it is a family and not a single person.

I hope nobody feels I'm rude in asking this or putting down their MM in any way. Like I said, just never been a part of "the culture" really and wondering how this goes.

Amother because I feel dumb asking but really want to understand.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:57 pm
I usually get two challahs, several bottles of wine, scotch, a quart of soup and a kugel. I get these from the same people every year.

mille

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:11 pm
I've given bread to be part of a seudah (or not, their choice). It's a loaf of bread, nothing hard about including that.

I assume the rest that are single portions of food, like a breakfast burrito, are meant to be eaten for brunch-ish time and the seudah is later on, so they are for snacking while delivering mishloach manot and such but not for the seudah itself. If it's an entire quiche or entire kugel, that's easy to include in the seudah unless you have a very "themed" seudah or the item is dairy and your seudah is meat or something like that.

harriet

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:27 pm
I've given some of the stuff you mentioned (deli sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, soup and bread and croutons. . . ), all real food, none of them intended to be served at the seuda. Most people (mom or dad) are thrilled to have something filling and prepared to eat the day of Purim, before the seuda while they're running around. They also sometimes take it to work the next day.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:21 pm
A sandwich and drink could make a meal. So you have a seuda right there as breakfast or lunch...

sky

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:51 pm
We like to wash for lunch. In honor of Purim and to make sure everyone has a normal lunch. Our suedah is really late in the day. Typically I pull out all the real food I've gotten until that point and tell the kids to dig in. They love eating stuff other people have given us.
Examples: Salads, French bread, strawberry drink, soup, bread sticks with dips

I give something with rolls every year and a few people have told us that they use that as their lunch seuda.

My mother in law gets a deli platter and at least one vegetable platter every year. She always puts out during the seuda. Also some wine that is recieved that day is used at the seuda.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:55 pm
My sister has given a basket with a variety of salads, intended to be put out at the seuda.

My mother-in-law gives a large homemade challah and bottle of wine or grape juice, also intended to be for the seuda.

I usually give my mom, mother-in-law, and close neighbor a dish for the seuda (like salad for 20 people in a nice bowl with a nice bottle of wine, or farfel and garlic roasted green beans, once duck on a platter over wild rice).

But when I receive a sandwich, or bowl of cut up fruit, I enjoy it during the rush of the day, not during the seuda, and I do not think that the giver intended for it to be at my YT seuda.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:47 am
OP I have never seen it either. It would be inconvenient for me, as I may go somewhere for seuda, and then what? everyone brings something to the friend or the community meal, with no concern for kashrus (and well , hygiene in some cases)? If my do a seuda at home then you bet it's all planned and I'm not waiting or relying on possible gifts. What What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics