Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Anyone else not do a theme for MM?
1  2  Next

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:59 am
I am starting to feel like I am the only one who does do a theme for MM. I have to make so many that I am happy just to have the minimum inside and not seem cheap. Please tell me I am not alone.

mha3484

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:23 am
No theme here. My friends don't seem to do it either.

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:27 am
You don't have a theme? *gasp* are you even 'yotzeh'?
I have a theme and it's called - no theme MM!!!
You're welcome to join me

pesek zman

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:29 am
The theme is the mitzvah

Sanguine

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:31 am
mha3484 wrote:
No theme here. My friends don't seem to do it either.
ditto

This year I'm giving soup in 2 lb containers (I think that's what they are- like buying 2 lbs cole slaw at meal mart) and I considered garlic twists but I'll probably go with some shkaidei marak in a container. Too cheap? Too easy? I'm sure people will love the soup for right then or to freeze (got the idea from a diff thread here)

choco1

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:45 am
No theme here... Whatever we're in the mood of that year. the main thing is the mitzva and to be happy. enjoy and have fun!

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:48 am
As much as I enjoy seeing other people's themes, I am not interested in doing one myself. Nobody complains. They seem to like my shaloch manos well enough.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:58 am
No theme here either. I don't do that many MM but I'm just not the creative type. I tried making a fancy one (no theme...) last year but it was so stressful ! This year I'm going to put either covolated and candy or home made small cookies in plastic champagne glasses . Each MM will be two glasses like this ( one candy one chocolate / cookies).
Not everyone is into these themes and many kids are much happier being able to be whatever they want for Purim without thinking of family themes...

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:59 am
I don't do a theme.

I look for the smallest non-transparent container that closes securely.

Easy to fill, easy to set up, easy to transport.

I guess I do have a theme then...

Easy.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:15 am
I did themes when I was younger. It was the thing to do and it could be done cheap.

Honestly, now I think they're tacky/silly. The elaborate ones give me a chuckle but maybe I'm too practical, I just think what a waste of time to coordinate stuff I most likely will toss! A classic example would be a doctor kit with an instant soup and candy bandages and jelly bean pills and a long poem to go with it. Maybe it's a generation thing, I don't know.

Simple themes don't bother me so much and that's what I did years ago.

Now I put together an interesting packed food item with a drink and a fruit...I try to make them tie into one another so it's not totally random.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:10 am
I never even heard of themes till I joined imamother.

MadameX

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:21 am
I never do a theme! I enjoy getting creative with how I package my MM, and I feel a theme would be limiting to my creative flow Wink

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:48 am
I don't do a theme, and all of my neighbors and friends do. I really don't care what anybody else does. You shouldn't either.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
No theme here either. I don't do that many MM but I'm just not the creative type. I tried making a fancy one (no theme...) last year but it was so stressful ! This year I'm going to put either covolated and candy or home made small cookies in plastic champagne glasses . Each MM will be two glasses like this ( one candy one chocolate / cookies).
Not everyone is into these themes and many kids are much happier being able to be whatever they want for Purim without thinking of family themes...

Covolated? What is that?

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 12:34 pm
No theme, fresh cooked food. Some years salads, some years kinishes and a drink and some years soup and rolls.

Simple1

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 12:53 pm
None of my neighbors or friends do themes. I do find the kids or teens sometimes do themes. Nothing over the top, just a cute way for the kids to exercise their creative skills.

But when my dh was a teacher for a few years, he did get a variety of MM and some of them were themes. Same with my dd last year, she's an assistant.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 2:20 pm
zaq wrote:
I never even heard of themes till I joined imamother.

Same here.

BlueRose52

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:42 pm
My theme is nonconformity.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:13 pm
Nonconformity! Love that!!
OK I feel much better now. Thanks to all!

anotherima

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:24 pm
I had a rough winter with flu so I am taking it very easy for purim and buying all my mishloach manos from keren aniyim. They are gorgeous and very reasonable. I am also paying for a shul mishloach manos that takes care of my neighborhood. I am so relieved not to have to make any mishloach manos (although kol hakavod to people who make cute things and enjoy doing so). The best mishloach manos is the salads, fruit, challos, dips kugels. REAL FOOD. The nosh and junk goes straight to my cleaning lady.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics