Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Indian cuisine Purim seuda ideas

dlj

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:13 am
Thanks...Purim for us is Friday so it will most likely be a brunch. Of course will be meaty, and I would welcome your recipe ideas.

Thanks

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:47 am
Yellow rice
http://www.tastebook.com/recip.....-Orzo-Rice

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
1 pinch coarse black paper
3/4 cup orzo
1 1/4 cup rice
4 cups chicken stock

other ideas: lamb or chicken curry, wraps or laffa bread, eggplant dip, tomato dip,

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 11:16 am
Wave Indian food addict here! I can't get enough of it, and cook something Indian at least once a week. Here's some of my favorite recipes (not all of them Indian, some Thai and Ethiopian mixed in.) https://www.pinterest.com/rivk.....such/

Manjula's Kitchen blog has all kinds of good things, complete with step by step videos.

If you need help finding the right spice blends, Rani brand has a KSA hecksher that is acceptable in the US. If you don't have an Indian grocer nearby, you can get them on Amazon.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 11:34 am
(She's in Jerusalem, ingredients available there)

mille

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 11:35 am
I find most recipes on the Budget Bytes blog to be really simple and easy to follow, yet super delicious! Here's the link for all of her Indian-style recipes: http://www.budgetbytes.com/cat.....dian/

The chana saag is super delicious! (Use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk if you want it to be pareve)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 11:48 am
mille wrote:
I find most recipes on the Budget Bytes blog to be really simple and easy to follow, yet super delicious! Here's the link for all of her Indian-style recipes: http://www.budgetbytes.com/cat.....dian/

The chana saag is super delicious! (Use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk if you want it to be pareve)

THANK YOU!!! Hug

Now, what to choose for dinner tonight…

Mior

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:54 pm
Small Meatballs and baby potatoes with tomato sauce

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wave Indian food addict here! I can't get enough of it, and cook something Indian at least once a week. Here's some of my favorite recipes (not all of them Indian, some Thai and Ethiopian mixed in.) https://www.pinterest.com/rivk.....such/

Manjula's Kitchen blog has all kinds of good things, complete with step by step videos.

If you need help finding the right spice blends, Rani brand has a KSA hecksher that is acceptable in the US. If you don't have an Indian grocer nearby, you can get them on Amazon.

Manjula is a great teacher. I was adequately versed in Indian cooking before I came north but after discovering Manjula I can now have Indian guests without fear. Her cabbage dumplings and pakoras are the best. She takes the fear out of rolling samosa dough.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:16 pm
I like this recipe
http://www.levanacooks.com/alo.....aita/

And maybe make tandoori chicken using coconut yogurt and a beef or lamb curry in the crockpot with rice.

That's a lot of different options! You don't need to make them all

mille

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THANK YOU!!! Hug

Now, what to choose for dinner tonight…

Sooo.... What did you decide?! How was dinner? Very Happy

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:47 pm
now I'm famished!

dlj

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:09 pm
Thanks everyone!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:00 pm
Bread: naan is pretty easy to make. Just regular bread dough, roll out thinly (about or slightly thicker than pizza dough) into irregular long oval shape, pan-fry a few minutes on both side. Keep wrapped in foil to keep warm, can be reheated in the oven. You can shmear with very finely chopped fried garlic or and very small amount of oil.

Appetisers: samosa if you have time (you can make the filling with curried diced potatoes and onions and peas, use wonton/eggroll dough to fold into triangle parcels, can be frozen before). Pakoras take less time and easy to make latkes -style (instead of deepfrying) but you do need chickpea flour (we get Natco which is kosher). Or just serve lentil tomato soup (red lentil, tends to be thin).

There're so many recipes on curry, I'd choose something with chicken, and a few based on vegetables. Bombay potatoes are easy to make and tasty (and reheats well). Chickpeas, okras, eggplants, chopped spinach, cauliflowers.

Serve with chutneys (mango, I like ones with chopped corrianders and ground coconut), rice (meant as more plain as curries have assertive flavour).

For dessert you can do either fresh mangoes or mango sorbet, or tropical fruits.

For drinks, you can serve Cobra beer or parve chai (there're several brands of spiced masala teabags, use soymilk/almond milk).

P.S. Indian rice recipe does NOT use orzo. That would be near-eastern/middle eastern.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics