Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim seudah with a newborn

miami85

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:28 pm
Need some ideas for seudah things that can be made for 2 adults that are easy yet different from regular Shabbos. Keeping in mind that my husband leins the megillah both night and day (twice) away from home and we don't get home until close to noon.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:45 pm
I gave birth taanis Esther, and Purim happened to fall on Friday that year.

Our seuda was challa, salmon, soup with krepel and chicken. Leftovers eaten that night. We don't have salmon that often and I think the chicken was also a different recipe than usual.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:58 pm
So last year I had a 3 week old on Purim. We went out for the seuda (which in my opinion perhaps was a mistake. It would've been nice to be home for a nice quiet meal and not need to worry about feeding the baby in public, running after my toddler, etc.)

I think garlic bread, oven baked salmon (something easy - like bottled teriyaki sauce & sesame seeds on top), salad (again, something easy, like storebought chopped up lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, croutons, and your favorite dressing), rice, chicken, and a kugel or vegetable side dish. Buy dessert or nosh on things from shlach manos Smile
You can make most of the above before Purim and then just heat it up before the seuda.

tf

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:01 pm
How about cooking the day before and then just reheating the food? Or cook before and keep the food on a low flame. Another option is to use the convection oven for meat and side dish. Which part of the seudah is the difficult part?

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:24 pm
I personally would go for a couple of big overstuffed pastrami sandwiches on seeded rye (or maybe a kaiser roll) with lots of grainy mustard, criminally garlicky pickles and a couple of cans of Dr. Brown's ginger ale(for me) and cel-ray soda (for dh) from some place like Mr. Broadway if it still exists. But then we have the oppty to eat this sort of thing maybe twice in ten years; you might have this for lunch once a week.

FTR I never held back eating garlic and onions when I was nursing. I figured these are the mainstay of my cookery, so the kids may as well get used to them right from the start.

piece

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 9:19 pm
anything done simple & fresh is always good. I'm sure your husband will understand since you have a newborn. see if you can cook the day before & then warm up. chicken soup/cutlets/capon & orzo/rice/farfel with fried onions & buy dessert.
enjoy!

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 10:00 pm
zaq wrote:
I personally would go for a couple of big overstuffed pastrami sandwiches on seeded rye (or maybe a kaiser roll) with lots of grainy mustard, criminally garlicky pickles and a couple of cans of Dr. Brown's ginger ale(for me) and cel-ray soda (for dh) from some place like Mr. Broadway if it still exists. But then we have the oppty to eat this sort of thing maybe twice in ten years; you might have this for lunch once a week.

FTR I never held back eating garlic and onions when I was nursing. I figured these are the mainstay of my cookery, so the kids may as well get used to them right from the start.

omg ~ are you my sister ? we did this one year [I left my kids in cleveland] ... for purim seuda - at essex on coney [since schmulka bernstein's no longer existed] no mustard for me [maybe some chopped liver] definitely garlic dills - add dr brown's cream or root beer ~ לחיים Drunken Smile

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 10:18 pm
greenfire wrote:
omg ~ are you my sister ? we did this one year [I left my kids in cleveland] ... for purim seuda - at essex on coney [since schmulka bernstein's no longer existed] no mustard for me [maybe some chopped liver] definitely garlic dills - add dr brown's cream or root beer ~ לחיים Drunken Smile

Are those old-style subway ads? From what year? I was just having a discussion with someone who claimed the first kosher Chinese place in NY was Moshe Peking which of course it wasn't. it was schmulka bernstein's. Schmulka's also had deli as the ad shows, but its real claim to fame was the Chinese food, since kosher delis were a dime a dozen once upon a time in old New York. does essex on coney have chinese or just deli? and is it anywhere near as good as the original bernsteins on essex?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
Are those old-style subway ads? From what year? I was just having a discussion with someone who claimed the first kosher Chinese place in NY was Moshe Peking which of course it wasn't. it was schmulka bernstein's. Schmulka's also had deli as the ad shows, but its real claim to fame was the Chinese food, since kosher delis were a dime a dozen once upon a time in old New York. does essex on coney have chinese or just deli? and is it anywhere near as good as the original bernsteins on essex?

http://www.boweryboogie.com/20.....reet/

I think it says 1959

the last time I was at essex on coney was over 10 years ago - I don't think they still exist ...

& no nothing compares ... but now I'm starving for a pastrami sandwich

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 11:33 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.boweryboogie.com/2011/12/when-schmulka-bernsteins-ruled-essex-street/

I think it says 1959

the last time I was at essex on coney was over 10 years ago - I don't think they still exist ...

& no nothing compares ... but now I'm starving for a pastrami sandwich

That explains why I don't remember that ad--I didn't know how to read yet in 1959! And I would also love a pastrami sammich about now even though I already brushed my teeth. I can always brush 'em again.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
That explains why I don't remember that ad--I didn't know how to read yet in 1959! And I would also love a pastrami sammich about now even though I already brushed my teeth. I can always brush 'em again.

sammich - lol Tongue Out

well I'm pretty sure I didn't know how to breathe in 1959

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:21 am
I also did deli for Purim one year. We don't do it often at all, so it felt special enough... Not much more expensive than something yomtov-dik I would conjure on my own, and the saved effort was very worth it.

grace413

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:41 am
Takes just a few minutes to broil a rib-eye steak. Yum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics