Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Need passport advice for traveling to Toronto

kollel wife

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:37 am
Our family may need to drive to Toronto in the near future, and no one has a passport.
Do children under 18 need a passport?
What about the adults - is driving different than flying - are passports mandatory?

To get a quick passport is very expensive - any idea how much?

kb

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:00 am
Call border patrol.
This is the number of one crossing that has been very helpful (and answered the phone!) when I called. All us/canada borders have the same laws, so you don't actually have to be cross this specific border to call. (810) 985-9541

(I believe until 18 birth certificates are enough, and passports cost close to $200 each. It's cheaper if you do it yourself, but easier to have an agent do it - especially if you need expediting. I've used EZ Passport and was very happy with them. 718-377-1956)

luppamom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:03 am
kollel wife wrote:
Our family may need to drive to Toronto in the near future, and no one has a passport.
Do children under 18 need a passport?
What about the adults - is driving different than flying - are passports mandatory?

To get a quick passport is very expensive - any idea how much?

This is for getting back into the US:

U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by land from Canada or Mexico may present an original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Citizenship.

Got that from http://travel.state.gov/conten......html

Passports for children under 16 are cheaper (but still very expensive) and they only last 5 yrs. Passports for over 16 are more expensive but they last 10 yrs. I waited until I was 16 to get my passport.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:36 am
Thank you very much.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:52 pm
Yes, all adults over 18 need a passport to enter Canada. Before 9/11 you didn't, but now it's changed. Kids need birth certificate (I think original, but ask), and if both parents aren't there, you also need a notarized letter from the other parent giving you permission to take them, because they're worried about kidnapping risks. You can get a passport in as quick as a day, but the faster you need it, the higher the surcharge (on top of the US gov't fee for the passport).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics