Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you force them to play?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 10:41 am
When on child has a playdate over, do you force them to play with with their siblings as well?

I have a few boys, all about 3 years apart and I can't always get playdates for all of them. So, if one has a playdate, the other(s) want to play as well. It becomes a huge struggle, because the child with the friend over wants privacy, while the others whine because they have no one to play with. What do you think?

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 5:26 pm
The others have "no one to play with"? Really? What about all the other siblings? Besides, amusing oneself is an excellent thing, best learned early in life. Children are entitled to have their own friends whom they do not have to share with the rest of the family. Who says the guest wants to play with the other kids?
The rule in my house is that the person whose guest it is is responsible for entertaining that guest. Siblings can join in IF invited by the host sibling. This happened, like, never.

Leahh

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:38 pm
No, I don't make them play together. Children are allowed to have their own friends and need to learn to respect each others privacy and separate lives, so to say. If invited to join that's fine but I won't insist and will actively keep other children away.
other children can play together with eachother and there are plenty of toys/games that can be played solo.
Sometimes a reminder is necessary, like when your friend was here you didn't like when sibling bothered you so stay don't bother him/her. Works for about 2 min then I need to remind again.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:19 pm
No. As the others said.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:28 pm
you can't force friendships onto siblings ...

how about if you have play dates reversed by sending the others out or try having their friends over too ... the more the merrier

then everybody gets to play with their own friend ...

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:32 pm
what I am uncomfortable with is the word FORCE. It's not effective at least not long term. Ur their MOM. Explain or hav a fam meeting where ur kiddos can brainstorm together how to make e/o happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics