Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nicknames you find annoying
1  2  3  Next

Jeanette

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:44 pm
What are the nicknames you find most annoying?

Mine are--

--any name ending in "--le" for an adult. Chanale, Yankele. You're an adult, time to drop the 'le.

--Chayie for Chaya. Don't know why, for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

--Yucky and Icky. I actually know people with those names and I don't understand how anyone finds it cute/funny.

--nicknames that sound okay for a baby or a pet but not suitable for an adult. Names like Shuki, Pooki, Kiki.

What are yours?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:47 pm
Bumi and Itchy

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:55 pm
I don't find any names irritating. If people want to go by particular names, then that is perfectly fine! It's their name. There are names that I personally would not want my child to be called, but if they insisted upon it, I'd go along.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:02 pm
I love -le. OUAT you could be Yankele and be an alter zeide. Met a Moyshele with his hair all white!

I have a hard time with the automatic -I thing in some countries. Sari, Shaindy, Yanky and Mendy.. argh ! everyone -I! and even worse if it contaminates words: barmi, shnitzy... no way. We used to have nicknames in all kinds of endings, what's up?? Very Happy

Of course those with a bad meaning...

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:20 pm
I know someone who calls their kid "icky" and they think it's so cute. He happens to be a real icky kid always hurting other kids and chutzpadik to everyone. I don't know how they can call their child icky.

I also think jj or yy is is weird. Weird to call kids by initials.

And adults who are called "moishele" or "Ahrele" - don't you think they should drop the "le" when they are roshei yeshiva??

imaima

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:28 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Mine are--

--any name ending in "--le" for an adult. Chanale, Yankele. You're an adult, time to drop the 'le.

--Chayie for Chaya. Don't know why, for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

--Yucky and Icky. I actually know people with those names and I don't understand how anyone finds it cute/funny.

--nicknames that sound okay for a baby or a pet but not suitable for an adult. Names like Shuki, Pooki, Kiki.

What are yours?

Agree on all points.
Rebetzens Shaindy and Suri sound like girls playing dress up to me.

spring13

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:35 pm
I get annoyed when I hear people calling their kid "tzadik" all the time. That's a description you gotta earn, and I don't know any 3 year old boys who have.

Sherri

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 1:49 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I don't find any names irritating. If people want to go by particular names, then that is perfectly fine! It's their name. There are names that I personally would not want my child to be called, but if they insisted upon it, I'd go along.
Same here. Unless perhaps the name is vulgar, what do I care?

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:01 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Mine are--

What are yours?

I hate when people call their baby Bubbele. It's a baby not a grandmother!

Stars

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:06 pm
luppamom wrote:

I think that word also means "doll" in yiddish.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:07 pm
I have friends Avigail and Elisheva but everyone calls them Avi and Eli. I hate that!

Also jmm-le Tongue Out

imaima

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:11 pm
luppamom wrote:

It is from Hebrew, Buba "doll"

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:12 pm
Stars wrote:
I think that word also means "doll" in yiddish.

I know, but it's too similar to grandmother. Why should I call my newborn baby grandma?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:17 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Watch that. My daughter is Chayie, and she loves her nickname.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:17 pm
Duplicate post.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:24 pm
luppamom wrote:
I know, but it's too similar to grandmother. Why should I call my newborn baby grandma?

Shrug. So don't use the word. But, honestly, it's not that close to "grandma," even for people who call their grandmothers "bubbie." Its sort of like objecting to your nym because "luppamom" is too close to lupus, and really, who would want to be named after a terrible disease.

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:25 pm
I love Chayie and adding "la" or "le" to names!
I don't think you have to give up a nickname just because you get older.

I don't like "stoopid" names. Icky? Yucky? Sorry, but those are "stoopid".
Totally agree with the "pet" names - Suki, Pukie, Loo-loo (uggggh, I know a loo-loo).

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:27 pm
Barbara wrote:
Shrug. So don't use the word. But, honestly, it's not that close to "grandma," even for people who call their grandmothers "bubbie." Its sort of like objecting to your nym because "luppamom" is too close to lupus, and really, who would want to be named after a terrible disease.

LOL! Almost everything can have some bad connotation... For real names or names that people are called, IRL, I would try to minimize them. Am not going to have DH go to the תורה and say ויקרא שמה בישראל לופהמאם!

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:32 pm
Anyway, I'm not OP, but I think this thread is geared towards those who have heard particular nicknames that they don't like or think are funny. I don't think it's meant to insult anyone.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:39 pm
I like normal nicknames that, as a pp said, it would sound normal for a Rosh yeshiva or rebbetzin.
We call my son Shaya, my kids decided to call him Shayoosh. It's cute for a baby, but by 2 or so it should be gone.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names