Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much Hand Shmura do you buy? How do you estimate use?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 9:00 pm
We use mostly Hand Shmura and very little Machine Shmura.

Based on past consumption, were thinking, 2 lbs per adult or teen, 1 lb per child over age 3-12.

For instance, a family of 6 adults (anyone teen and above) and 9 children between 3-12, will need at least 21 lbs. of Hand Shmura.

Does that make sense based on your family's use (if you use mostly Hand Shmura as well, and very little Machine Shmura)?

How large is your family and how much Hand Shmura do you buy, if you use mostly Hand Shmura?

bookie

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 9:18 pm
Two adults three kids about six to seven pounds only hand shmura.

naturemom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 9:33 pm
kids eat a lot of matzo, especially if they dont like pesach food. I usually calculate 1 1/2 lbs per person, adult and kid alike.
if you are a big matzo eater, you can raise the number to 2 lbs.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 12:37 am
We do 2 pounds pp also. Sometimes we have leftover sometimes not. Really depends on how thin the Matza is I think.

It's our "nosh " on trips together with apples and oranges, my dh washes every day and we are chabad, so besides for all the meals we also do the moshiach seuda the last day where we eat Matza and drink 4 cups of wine.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:02 am
How much Matzah does your family use per adult and child?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:51 am
We buy 30-50 lbs. depending on how many we are. We are a huge crowd. 20 people first days and most of chol hamoed, then 35-40 second days. Don't really calculate per person. But we are not huge matzah eaters.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 12:54 am
How would I estimate Matzah use per person, for average to slightly above average Matza eaters?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 3:44 am
For the Seder, three matzos are enough for two people.
We get one pound of hand. It's used for lechem mishna.
The rest of pesach we buy six lbs, but usually use 4-5. It depends on my cooking, when shabbos is and guests.
If you brok, you will likely go through more.

This has been the same for the past few years. We are now 5 kids, ages 1-8.

Seas

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 7:19 am
Mevater wrote:
How would I estimate Matzah use per person, for average to slightly above average Matza eaters?

2 matzos per person per meal. 3 for the sedarim. Less for children.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:06 am
Im asking how many pounds per person for the entire Y"T if mostly hand Shmura, and hardly any Machine Shmura is used by all.

Is the 2 pounds per adult or child accurate, as mentioned above?

L K

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
We buy 30-50 lbs. depending on how many we are. We are a huge crowd. 20 people first days and most of chol hamoed, then 35-40 second days. Don't really calculate per person. But we are not huge matzah eaters.

What do you make for breakfast on chol hamoed? I find we don't eat so much matza with lunch or supper but breakfast is heavy on matzah.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:44 pm
B U M P

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:46 pm
We buy 12 pounds of shnura matzo. I can't estimate per person but rather how many guest and how many meals... we munch on it every day Chol Hamoed as well.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:00 am
Its better to get Rachaim shel Yad matza with whatever chidurim is your minhag for the Seder and cheap shevorim for the rest of Pesach

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:08 am
Depends how much matzah your crowd eats. By us adults eat less than 1 pound per person the entire Pesach. You can always buy more for chol hamoed and second days, but I don't like having leftovers.

yitel

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:19 am
Shavarim is usually burnt, over baked pieces. I try to avoid giving too much Matza as it’s not good for digestion. We eat eggs, avocado, and lots of salads for breakfast. Farmer Cheese Blintzes is very filling for lunch. There’s also yogurt, banana, and so many different fruits! We cut up a lot of pineapple, mango, and melons. This year I want to add Tuna, and sardines for lunch. There are simply too many Chol Hamoed days and what else can they easily eat? One year I did took along cold carrot muffins. It was pretty good.

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
You can always buy more for chol hamoed and second days, but I don't like having leftovers.

Not the thin Matzahs. Those sell out quick.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 6:23 am
Average eaters I would say 1lb per person. If you have a 2 and 3 year old- together they would need 1lb. Thats your live in folks. Then add a couple boxes for guests depending how many you have. We are 5 adults and 2 younger kids and we have a family most lunch meals. We order 12. lbs.
Ps you can save a box for next year if left ovwr.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 7:30 am
1 1/2 pound per adult, 3/4 per child. We eat plenty at the YT meals but hardly eat it over chol hamoed as we prefer real food. And we add a little extra to have during the year since dh likes it with his eggs on shabbos.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 7:42 am
When we did only hand shmura, we bought 1lb per person of the cheapest kind possible +2 or three extra pounds for back up. Some years that was plenty, other years it was nowhere near enough depending on if my step kids came or not. +2 or three extra pounds for back up. Some years that was plenty, other years it was nowhere near enough depending on if my step kids came or not. If they came, with still get the same pound per person plus a few extras but they were accustomed to noshig on matza leisurely at their mothers and we just couldnt afford to buy enough to eat for snacks and 3 meals a day. It literally ruined our pesach because they wanted to nosh on it! At $14/box, thats an expensive nosh, esp when theres a ton of other foods in the house! Finally DH asked his rav and he said to buy the machine shmura, aside from hand shmura for the sedarim. Restored shalom to the chag. Now we buy enough for the adults (over 10 really) to have the amount needed for seder and a bit more. And we still dont nosh on it but we are able to spread cream cheese or avocado at least without gettinf upset.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics