Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Moving to Lakewood

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 9:55 am
We might be moving to Lakewood from NY we are thinking of Westgate can anyone tell me about it. Also I need info on schools what are the girls schools and what are the boys schools not Chassidish or modern something in between any info would be great. I am really nervous about moving. I also don't drive and don't plan on it in the near future and I am going to be stuck.
thanks

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:02 am
Not driving in lakeowood is very hard. Although, Westgate has an up and coming shopping center that could be a help for you. Westgate is not close to other neighborhoods though. It's a really big neighborhood. but it's pretty secluded.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 10:05 am
First of all, you shouldn't make any arrangements to move until your kids are accepted into schools. Otherwise you might be stuck.

If you don't drive in Lakewood, really the only place it makes sense to live is in the center. There's no public transportation and taxi service is unreliable. You really will be stuck. Except for the stores in the shopping center.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 11:23 pm
No public transportation in LKWD??
Wow.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 1:32 am
first of all, first sign a lease or a contract on a house and then apply to schools. If you do the opposite then your kids will NOT get into any schools, especially your girls. Lakewood is sooo overcrowded that they do not want new people moving in. Once you are there then they have to take you. If you do move you will not have a choice on which school to send your child to it will be whichever school accepts you. Also a lot of people in Westgate don't drive, there is everything there, Circia, cleaners, pharmacy, supermarket, stockings, etc. Another thing is that in Westgate people do a lot of chesed and they drive other people around.

whoami

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 1:46 pm
amother above - Circa is in the Cedarbridge stripmall - not westgate.
westgate ahs yussis and a pizza store. they also have accents, pharmacy, Best Pressed and a grocery.
I wouldnt rely on rides though.

sleepyhead

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:44 pm
Have you been to Westgate? While I think it's a pretty okay place, many people (who don't live there) don't like how crowded and close together it is. But whoever I know who lives there loves it. I know several people who moved with children from NY to Lakewood. While the transition may have been difficult in the beginning, now they all love it.

The previous mothers are right, if you don't drive it may not be the BEST neighborhood for you, although it's better than some others cuz it does have the shopping mall.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 9:39 pm
also in westgate, bonky's ice cream , a housewares store, a dollar store, judaica plaza. its also not far from npgs jackson (largest kosher supermarket here)
westage is possitively huge, the bigest complex I've ever seen- practically a city!- it seems like there are a gazillion houses/apartments there - lots of people to meet.
not driving though can be pretty tough here, as the above posters mentioned there is limited public transportation (in town there are infrequent buses called job link or ocean ride ). some of the chasidim in lakewood dont drive.
some of the boy schools: cheder (largest), orchos chaim, nesivos ohr, bais hatorah, ytt, lakewood boys school, kaminetz and many many more.
some of the girl schools: bais faiga (largest), bais yaakov, bais tova, bais rivka rochel and again more - there have been problems with not enough slots in the girl schools lately
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics