Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Nail polish/makeup at what age?
1  2  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:01 pm
My dd is in 8th grade. She goes to a typical BY school. I planned on allowing her to wear makeup and nail polish to simchas in 10th grade and for shabbos in 11th grade.

She has been begging to get her nails done for pesach. She will be the only one in the neighborhood, but some of her classmates will be wearing polish. I dont feel like its age appropriate.

Am I wrong? According to DD I am old fashioned and know nothing.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:04 pm
16 and shouldn't be too visible

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:13 pm
Maybe I'm also old fashioned
But in my secular public school no nail polish till 17
Wore makeup for my brothers bar mitzva and then nothing till Sr prom

tovli toraspicha

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:16 pm
I would definitely agree with you, but maybe I am old fashioned too Very Happy

rachel91

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:16 pm
There are 4 year olds in my daughters class with nail polish...go figure.
I would probably let her wear nude or light pink polish, not red or black, or blue etc.

chillax

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:34 pm
I don't live in NY, so can't speak for community, but I would let my daughters for Pesach. They're only 7 & 5 now but I'm letting them.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:41 pm
I started wearing nail Polish when I was five. Makeup in high school. Yes you are old fashioned. You are allowed to be old fashioned by recognize that you are

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:45 pm
I don't think that there is a "rule" about these things. Some kids like nail polish and makeup and feel that it enhances their simchas yomtov, while others do not. Some kids start with nail polish early and others may never wear nail polish. Some start with makeup everyday as preteens, while others may never wear makeup daily, even as adults for both frumkeit and just personal feelings. If my kid wanted to wear nail polish, I'd allow them as long as the school did not forbid it. Now, things like waxing I would encourage early early early but I feel that it's different than nail polish or makeup.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Delores

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:45 pm
My daughter wears nail polish all the time and she's in kindergarten. My son has experimented as well, but that's a whole other debate.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:49 pm
I let my dd wear a nail polish and sometimes lipstick. I can put on makeup on her for purim. (she is only 5)
I have friends who won't let their daughters any of that and at older ages.
I feel that we already hsve so many restrictions. There is nothing inherently wrong with manicure.
of course, if she has problems at school then I wouldn't, but otherwise why not

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
I let my dd wear a nail polish and sometimes lipstick. I can put on makeup on her for purim. (she is only 5)
I have friends who won't let their daughters any of that and at older ages.
I feel that we already hsve so many restrictions. There is nothing inherently wrong with manicure.
of course, if she has problems at school then I wouldn't, but otherwise why not

There are some people who believe and hold that nail polish is outright assur. I don't. I wear nail polish, although as I stated before I only wear what would not stick out where I am. When I go on vacation where many women wear reds, greens, and oranges, I'll wear darker, brighter colors than I would where I live where many do not wear polish and those who do go with more natural colors.

Maya

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:59 pm
I don't have daughters but I would be okay with nail polish.
Makeup I'd probably wait until the ages you suggested.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:09 pm
I allow nail polish as soon as she knows not to put fingers in her mouth. That doesn't mean that I'd get a 2 year old a regular manicure, but if she asked for nail polish I would let her have it. Any color is okay with me. (I prefer lighter colors for little girls, but I wouldn't fight about it if she wanted to wear a darker shade.)
With makeup I allow lip gloss or Baby Lips from age 12 and up for parties or special occasions. (For family weddings some blush, lipstick and mascara at any age if she wants it.)
A full face at age 16.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:25 pm
I think it's okay for special occasions at around bat mitzvah age. But something nice and pale-colored; not vamp or bright red or black.

I realize nail polish and fancy patterned manicures are a very "in" thing now, but I am old-fashioned.

Most of my friend allow their children to wear nail polish in grade school (although it is against our local school rules).

etky

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
I think it's okay for special occasions at around bat mitzvah age. But something nice and pale-colored; not vamp or bright red or black.

I realize nail polish and fancy patterned manicures are a very "in" thing now, but I am old-fashioned.

Most of my friend allow their children to wear nail polish in grade school (although it is against our local school rules).

Indeed they are. My 14 yr old is the 'queen of nail art'.
She loves doing her nails and it is actually a creative and artistic outlet for her. She's got quite a knack for it too.
I do put my foot down about what colors she can wear to school and on other occasions though.
Personally I think 14 is young for anything other than a very pale pink or natural color but I've learned early to pick my battles with this particularly precocious DD....

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:42 pm
I think you are old fashioned.
My parents wouldn't let me wear any make up until grade ten or eleven, and I was positively miserable. I suffered from low self esteem and I felt horrible walking around with a pale face and splotchy skin. I don't understand the value or the mussar in having a girl suffer like that. You may think it's great chinuch, but as a teen and even today, decades later, I think it was obtuse and mean.
From age twelve and up, when a girl is no longer a child, you should allow her to wear some make up if she wants (try to teach her how to apply for a fresh natural look)

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:43 pm
As far as I understood from OP, she is not from circles where all nail polish and make up is assur. So it is a question of her own preference.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:45 pm
I think there are certain colors best suited to teenagers- I had a bright turquoise I loved in 8th or 9th grade. One of my friends wore fluorescent orange occasionally- then, at least, I don't think too many adult women were wearing it. I wouldn't allow bright or dark red in a real manicure, though, at least until late high school, nor makeup other than maybe sheer lipgloss. (No daughters old enough for this to be relevant yet.)

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:46 pm
Why would nail polish be assur?

In any case imo, 13/14 is old enough for Nail polish and light natural make up.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:13 pm
op here

regarding makeup, dd hasnt asked and doesnt need it. When she was much younger she was obsessed with lip gloss and I got her a while bunch.

She also has a massive collection of nail polish because I allow her to do her toes however she wants. No schools here allows polish, but alot of girls wear clear, dd included.

DD wants to go for a manicure because a freind is being treated (bribed according to dd) to one for helping for pesach. DD refuses to help at all now.

I dont believe in bribes, rewards are ok. I still dont feel a manicure is age appropiate for a 13 year old.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children