Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
No vanilla :(

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:29 am
How bad, do you think, baked goods will come out without vanilla of any kind? And vanilla ice-cream? I guess I'll just make chocolate ice-cream. Any other flavor ice-cream besides strawberry?

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 11:46 am
well sponge cakes take lemon ... so you can live without

chocolate has that covering up any loss of vanilla

there's always the nutty taste of almonds/walnuts in other things like cookies

and unless it's plain ice cream you will live sans the vanilla

I would make mango ice cream ... not sure if that's what you were asking though

enjoy your flavours Tongue Out

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:05 pm
yo'ma wrote:
How bad, do you think, baked goods will come out without vanilla of any kind? And vanilla ice-cream? I guess I'll just make chocolate ice-cream. Any other flavor ice-cream besides strawberry?

Lemon works really well. Particularly lemon zest if you're able to use that

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lemon works really well. Particularly lemon zest if you're able to use that

Should I use it in cakes and cookies instead of vanilla or ice-cream? Which one are you saying? We use everything, but they didn't get vanilla this year. I don't remember if they had it other years, but last year I had vanilla sugar from the states.

Greenfire, mango ice-cream wouldn't go well in my house, but thank you for the idea.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:34 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Should I use it in cakes and cookies instead of vanilla or ice-cream? Which one are you saying? We use everything, but they didn't get vanilla this year. I don't remember if they had it other years, but last year I had vanilla sugar from the states.

Greenfire, mango ice-cream wouldn't go well in my house, but thank you for the idea.

Most cakes work well without vanilla. If it's a vanilla cake specifically (ie no cocoa) it will need lemon. Taste all batters before baking and decide if it needs a little something, if so, ads lemon.

For ice cream, lemon works, cocoa works. Let us know what sort of ice cream you'd like to make and we can help.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:59 pm
Do vanilla beans need a special hechsher for Pesach? I only started using them within the last year, but they give a much better vanilla flavor IMO than vanilla extract (when you're looking for real vanilla flavor).

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 3:37 pm
where do you find the beans? and how do you use it?

water_bear88

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 3:59 pm
I bought them in the shuk in Yerushalayim in one of the spice stores ("shuk hatavlinim", on rechov Machane Yehuda, for whomever that will help). Not sure where you'd find it in other countries, nor what kashrut supervision is necessary since I buy them in a store with a teudat kashrut.

To use, I split the bean open with a knife and then scraped out the seeds. They're tiny, so be warned that it can be a bit messy. I've only used them in homemade ice cream so far, but I know they can be used in other things as well. You can make your own extract or vanilla sugar using them, too, but I think it may be too late for this Pesach (they both need a few weeks, from what I remember). If you're putting them straight into ice cream, you definitely don't need the extra time- overnight at absolute most.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 4:43 pm
my supermarket sells vanilla beans in the baking section. But they are not cheap, but then again nor is vanilla extract.

I made brownies today and it said to sub lemon juice for vanilla. Tasted great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics