Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
S/o is a baby carrier allowed if no eruv?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:22 am
is it called carrying? it's like an accessory

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:25 am
We hold that it would be carrying without an eruv, just like we don't carry accessories (like bags or sunglasses). But if you're not sure, ask a Rav.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:33 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
We hold that it would be carrying without an eruv, just like we don't carry accessories (like bags or sunglasses). But if you're not sure, ask a Rav.

Off topic, but my response is about sunglasses. Glasses should be allowed because of "derech malbish" like a raincoat (so it wouldn't make a difference glasses or sunglasses). Obviously, there were people who did not wear glasses unless it was a jewelry (like gold glasses only) and of course there are people who do not wear jewelry (because there was talk of forbidding jewelry for fear that women would take it off and show it off without an eruv; however the rabonim decided not to make that rule because "no one would listen."). Obviously jewelry is okay, but there are some people who are very machmir and don't wear it. You can be machmir on anything, but I was under the impression that glasses are allowed not "because you need them to see," but because of "derech malbish" and if that is the case I'm not sure what the difference between glasses and sunglasses would be. I live where there is an eruv and am really not 100% certain, so you should double check....

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:44 am
OP: a baby carrier with a baby in it? Or just the carrier? Either way, I've never heard of it being allowed with no eruv.

Scrabble123 wrote:
Off topic, but my response is about sunglasses. Glasses should be allowed because of "derech malbish" like a raincoat (so it wouldn't make a difference glasses or sunglasses). Obviously, there were people who did not wear glasses unless it was a jewelry (like gold glasses only) and of course there are people who do not wear jewelry (because there was talk of forbidding jewelry for fear that women would take it off and show it off without an eruv; however the rabonim decided not to make that rule because "no one would listen."). Obviously jewelry is okay, but there are some people who are very machmir and don't wear it. You can be machmir on anything, but I was under the impression that glasses are allowed not "because you need them to see," but because of "derech malbish" and if that is the case I'm not sure what the difference between glasses and sunglasses would be. I live where there is an eruv and am really not 100% certain, so you should double check....

I learned that there is a distinction between glasses and sunglasses, because of the likelihood that one might remove them. You would not normally remove your eyeglasses, but if you walked into the shade it's normal to take off one's sunglasses (and thus no longer be wearing them, but carrying them.)

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:24 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
OP: a baby carrier with a baby in it? Or just the carrier? Either way, I've never heard of it being allowed with no eruv.

I learned that there is a distinction between glasses and sunglasses, because of the likelihood that one might remove them. You would not normally remove your eyeglasses, but if you walked into the shade it's normal to take off one's sunglasses (and thus no longer be wearing them, but carrying them.)

And a rain bonnet if it stops raining? There are ways to be machmir and not allow it, but to allow it as well. I think that when there is no eruv you are overall more conscientious as to what you are and are not doing. Again, I'm really not 100% sure but considering what I know about derech malbish and rain bonnets, I'm not understanding the sunglasses.

acccdac

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:05 pm
very interesting question.....I wonder if its different if you are "a baby carrier".
I use a baby bjorn when needed like on vacation and we are hiking but never on a regular basis, I have never even used it so I can have an older child sitting in the stroller.

would it make a difference whether or not you are "a baby carrier" mother. There are women who ALWAYS wear their babies. They prefer to go to the market with a carrier instead of a stroller (although I do see it as more convenient because you can now push a cart instead of doing a balancing act)

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:08 pm
How is it an "accessory"? It's not like a decorative key pin. It's not even like sunglasses or a bonnet that are protective yet assur. ... It's actually a carrying device.... it's like a stroller u wear. I don't know for sure so I'd ask your rav, but I can't imagine it's okay without an Eruv.

tovli toraspicha

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:58 pm
never heard an opinion that said it was ok.
it is specifically for carrying another being that cannot carry itself.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:06 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
And a rain bonnet if it stops raining? There are ways to be machmir and not allow it, but to allow it as well. I think that when there is no eruv you are overall more conscientious as to what you are and are not doing. Again, I'm really not 100% sure but considering what I know about derech malbish and rain bonnets, I'm not understanding the sunglasses.

I don't disagree, I just remembered learning (In Neuwirth's Shemirath Shabbath, which I don't follow for every opinion, anyway) that sunglasses are not considered exactly the same as glasses for this reason.

But in this line-- I guess a baby carrier (sans baby) could be worn outside the eruv if you're talking about a wrap-style carrier that is really just a big piece of fabric, so you could style it like a scarf/shawl or some such. I'm not sure why you would need to do this, though.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 6:06 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
I don't disagree, I just remembered learning (In Neuwirth's Shemirath Shabbath, which I don't follow for every opinion, anyway) that sunglasses are not considered exactly the same as glasses for this reason.

But in this line-- I guess a baby carrier (sans baby) could be worn outside the eruv if you're talking about a wrap-style carrier that is really just a big piece of fabric, so you could style it like a scarf/shawl or some such. I'm not sure why you would need to do this, though.

Yeah, I was not commenting on the baby carrier. I don't think it is allowed (believe me, if it were someone would have already marketed it and turned it into a fashionable Shabbos item!!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics