Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Salmon for Dummies

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:04 am
I hate fish. I HAAAAATE fish. But l'kovod yomtov, I bought a package of frozen wild salmon at Costco because DH likes it and the kids will eat it too. It's time to make it and I have no idea what to do with it. Do I have to defrost it first? Do I need to touch it? How do you prepare it? Do I have to know when it's ready or do I just leave it in for however long you tell me and it will be perfect? What is the least smelly method of preparation? How many frozen slabs is a portion? How long will it keep once cooked - can I make extra and serve it another few times? Is there anything else I should know about this?

Must be nut-free and kosher for Pesach.
Thanks!

mfb

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:47 am
I do this year round, but if you use pancake syrup you can do it for pesach.
Defrost fish totally place fish side up in baking pan. Pour over fish slices generous amounts of pancake syrup (I use about half a bottle for a 9x13 pan of fish) broil for approx. 7 min. Until salmon starts to brown a tiny at edges. Turn over fish and broil for another few minutes until skin starts browning.
Its quick and delicious but don't overbroil since it will dry out or burn.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:50 am
I don't have pancake syrup for Pesach but thanks for the idea. BTW how do you defrost it? Should I put it in a ziploc bag and put underwater? How long should I expect to spend defrosting - should I take it out first thing in morning to make for supper?

I was NOT joking when I said for dummies!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:55 am
seeker wrote:
I don't have pancake syrup for Pesach but thanks for the idea. BTW how do you defrost it? Should I put it in a ziploc bag and put underwater? How long should I expect to spend defrosting - should I take it out first thing in morning to make for supper?

I was NOT joking when I said for dummies!
Put it in the fridge now so it can defrost in time for dinner tomorrow.
Once defrosted, wash well.
I like to soak in lemon juice for 15 minutes to freshen up the fish and then pat dry.
Make a paste of olive oil, crushed garlic, kosher salt and black pepper. Place salmon in a pan and smear the paste evenly over the top.
Bake uncovered at 400 for 20 minutes. No need to check for doneness if your oven cooks evenly.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:07 am
Thanks! That sounds totally doable. Will it work if I bake it covered? I'm worried about making the oven/kitchen smell like fish. I HATE fish! But as it's so healthy and DH really likes it... sigh.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:12 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks! That sounds totally doable. Will it work if I bake it covered? I'm worried about making the oven/kitchen smell like fish. I HATE fish! But as it's so healthy and DH really likes it... sigh.

It should not smell.
But if you bake covered, bake for 30 minutes.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:37 am
Salut

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:40 am
I use the fish from costco often. It's better to defrost it, but if you don't have time, put in a ziploc with water for 10 minutes (or more if you have more time.)

Pour any sauce over it, (salsa, teryaki, salad dressing, etc or olive oil and spices. bake covered for 20 minutes. Pieces should be flaky, but not dry.

You can also pickle it for yomtov. - Boil in water for 20 minutes. Mix vinegar, ketchup and pickling spice (or whatever spices you have for pesach - dill, garlice, etc.). Slice an onion. Place cooked fish in a container (glass is best). Lasts in the fridge for 2 weeks. Serve cold. Tastes best after a few days, but can be eaten right away.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 5:51 pm
OK I'm baking covered but have cake in the oven at 350, how long should I leave the salmon in at that temp?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 6:03 pm
seeker wrote:
OK I'm baking covered but have cake in the oven at 350, how long should I leave the salmon in at that temp?

Probably the same 30 minutes.
How many pound of fish are you baking?

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 6:04 pm
3 of the individually packaged Costco pieces.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 6:06 pm
seeker wrote:
3 of the individually packaged Costco pieces.
should be fine, even though I don't know how large those are, can't be more than a total of 1.5 lbs.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 6:09 pm
definitely not, the whole bag of them was 3 lb I think and this was less than a third of them. I think they've been in about 15 minutes now, I just took the cake out and turned up the temp.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 6:39 pm
Oh... I didn't see the 350

joystock

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:34 pm
I love salmon but don't make it often. These recipes sound delicious... Would you serve baked/grilled salmon warm or cold? If warm, what would be the best way to reheat it?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:42 pm
I made this for dinner tonight actually. ate it fresh and hot out of the oven. I prefer it that way.
leftovers I try to bring to room temp by letting it sit on the counter for a bit.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:50 pm
Success! Husband and children all ate and enjoyed Very Happy There's quite a bunch left over, how long can it stay in the fridge? Do we need to eat it tomorrow or can it wait until after yomtov? (we're going away)

BTW I did ra_mom's recipe but with the addition of drizzling honey on top, per DD's request.

anonymom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:23 pm
It will not last till after yom tov

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:24 pm
ok, special chol hamoed lunch tomorrow!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics