Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is Shana Rishona in Israel possible w/o financial support
Previous  1  2  3

silbergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:35 am
I think its only possible if you either have parents who support you or have a job at a well paying American company in Israel. Jerusalem is super duper expensive (I went to sem in Har Nof and a TINY room in an apartment together with a family, including babysitting costs 400Dollar per month!!! An apartment is not doable below 1000-1200 dollar minimum!!) plus utilities plus daily living expenses - everything together would be a good 2000 Dollars per month expenses.

When I was in Israel, I have never seen a cleaning job for 50 shek an hour. All the sem girls clean, cleaning or babysitting jobs are in HIGH demand and its usually around 25 shek an hour, if youre lucky. Usually below that. There are few English speaking jobs who do not require special skills AND pay well. If she wants to wash dishes in a restaurant, yeah, but she wont be able to afford rent and daily expenses.

They would both have to work in very low paying jobs, learning for him is impossible if they dont get support. And I know most yeshivish educated guys wont work in any hands on job other than maybe teaching or IT stuff (my hubby for example wont). For sure not cleaning, building or any other kind of physical work. And what if she is pregnant right away? And cant work bc of complications, morning sickness and such?

Its difficult and I really really do not understand why it seems to be expected standard now to spend shana rishona in israel. If they can afford it, great. If they cant, go on vacation but try to build your life in chutz.

We are in the same boat, we would love to go to EY but we davka cannot afford it. Even though most of my sem friends did it (either with american jobs or family support). Cant change it.

silbergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:37 am
I really don't get it. None of our parents or grandparents went to EY for shana rishona. Even 15 years ago it was unheard of. Now its standard, along with a diamond engagement ring, pearls, bracelet, fancy sheva brachos, dira, learning support, for at least 2 years post wedding tallis, shtender, full leather shas, gold watch, fancy wedding and dining room and bedroom set.... it is crazy...

who makes that kind of money???? especially if you have many kids???

sorry, venting.

bottom line, if they both could work fulltime in bad jobs, its possible, but with HUGE sacrifices. Unless youre employed by an American company or are a doctor or nurse....

Last edited by silbergirl on Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:39 am
silbergirl wrote:

When I was in Israel, I have never seen a cleaning job for 50 shek an hour. All the sem girls clean, cleaning or babysitting jobs are in HIGH demand and its usually around 25 shek an hour, if youre lucky. Usually below that. There are few English speaking jobs who do not require special skills AND pay well. If she wants to wash dishes in a restaurant, yeah, but she wont be able to afford rent and daily expenses.

I should move to Jerusalem because the going rate for a cleaning job in Ramat Beit Shemesh is 50 NIS an hour plus 10 shek for transportation

silbergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:41 am
seriously? In Har Nof it was top notch if they paid 30 shek an hour.... Transport not included.

silbergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:41 am
And they hired and fired you if a cheaper sem girl came along.... or if they didnt like your nose... don't ask...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:57 am
silbergirl wrote:
And they hired and fired you if a cheaper sem girl came along.... or if they didnt like your nose... don't ask...

That sounds like har nof. Surplus of seminary girl labor.
I know a newlywed who's teaching English privately after school.
Those with computer skills can do freelance.
Transcribing jobs
Telemarketing
Whatever those American hours jobs are.
Working for an electrician or plumber could work for him.

Susitute ganenet for the private ganim in the area. Or an assistant ganenet.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:08 pm
silbergirl wrote:
I really don't get it. None of our parents or grandparents went to EY for shana rishona. Even 15 years ago it was unheard of. Now its standard, along with a diamond engagement ring, pearls, bracelet, fancy sheva brachos, dira, learning support, for at least 2 years post wedding tallis, shtender, full leather shas, gold watch, fancy wedding and dining room and bedroom set.... it is crazy...

who makes that kind of money???? especially if you have many kids???

In our family none of the married kids get any kind of support. None of my siblings went to Israel for shana rishona. None of us get a dira, learning support or fancy Sheva Brochos. We just don't have the money or expectations.

But, they were both there for yeshiva/sem and both dream of going back. They know there's no way they'll get financial support. But I don't think they realize just how hard it would be to go without the support. So if there's any way I can help them achieve their dream, I'll do it.

shabri

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:04 pm
We did it and 10 yrs later are still here. DH was learning and got a decent stipend from his yeshiva. I had a work visa (which is easier to get now then it was a pain) and worked in my field. DH worked during bein hazmanim and got paid well for that. We rented out our apt for Pesach and it paid for our tickets back to the states. We lived in a 2 bedroom apt in actually a nicer part of Yerushalaim. Our rent was $850/month. Between my job and DH's stipend we more than covered that and food.

(We came on DH's student visa but since then have made Aliyah. I don't know how you would be able to come if neither is a student or a citizen)

Shuly

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:25 pm
If they have enough money to cover their rent for 6 months and they are very hard working, they can come and try to make it.
An assistant in a gan makes NIS 25 an hour and gan ends at 1:30, so I don't think they can live on that.
She can try to open a private gan in her house, but she would have to see beforehand if there is a need for another gan and for what age.

By the way, cleaning ladies do make about NIS 50 an hour, but my Filipino cleaning lady is here legally on a working visa that cost her $7,000.
You even need a working visa to wash dishes in a restaurant! The restaurants always advertise that they are looking for "post-army" workers.

Last edited by Shuly on Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:46 pm
Many people I know make aliyah just after getting married, post college. They look for jobs, live where they can afford etc.

You don't have to live in a spacious "American style" apartment in Har Nof and buy new matching furniture in shana rishona.

Other options exist. I know lots of people who went for a year or two, worked in various jobs, some made aliyah, others came back. Not a single one was supported by their parents.

I guess if you only consider a single option (kollel) and a single means of support (parental) life is more limited. Stop having such a narrow viewpoint!

But it is ridiculous to say that without massive financial parental support it isn't possible to spend the first year or two of marriage in Israel. I know people who did it 20 or 30 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 yeafs ago and right now.

Sadie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:06 pm
Shuly wrote:

An assistant in a gan makes NIS 20 an hour and gan ends at 1:30, so I don't think they can live on that.
She can try to open a private gan in her house, but she would have to see beforehand if there is a need for another gan and for what age.[/I]

Minimum wage is 25 an hour! Are gans getting away with this?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
My personal experience is as follows-
Got married in the middle of the winter and worked as a teacher's assistant for the few months until we moved to Israel after pesach. It took a few months until I got my working visa and found a Hebrew speaking job. My husband's kollel pays well. We are getting supported throughout but are curently putting most of the support into saving as our job+kollel covers almost all of our expenses. If we didn't have support, we could still manage, but would have to live more frugally, although during those first few months we were totally dependent on support and even borrowed from our wedding gifts to buy furniture.
I think if someone is just going for one year, on the one hand that makes it more doable cuz it's short term, but on the other hand it can take a few months to settle in.

I'm just curious. Do you feel comfortable accepting parental support and then stashing the money away for savings? Do your parents know about it? Idk why, but something strikes me as not quite right about that, although I'm sure your parents are happy to help.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:03 pm
Sadie wrote:
Minimum wage is 25 an hour! Are gans getting away with this?

That's a very recent change- I assumed she was rounding down the 23 shekel it was until a few weeks ago.

Shuly

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:22 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
Many people I know make aliyah just after getting married, post college. They look for jobs, live where they can afford etc.

You don't have to live in a spacious "American style" apartment in Har Nof and buy new matching furniture in shana rishona.

Other options exist. I know lots of people who went for a year or two, worked in various jobs, some made aliyah, others came back. Not a single one was supported by their parents.

I totally agree! But this couple does NOT want to make aliyah.
They want to come for a year and work illegally.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:42 pm
Shuly wrote:
I totally agree! But this couple does NOT want to make aliyah.
They want to come for a year and work illegally.

If they like if there, they may choose to make Aliyah. And I'm not saying they want to work illegally. Are you saying it's the only way for non-Israelis/students to work?

Shuly

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:24 pm
AFAIK, you can only work in Israel if you either make Aliyah or get working papers on your visa.

Come to think of it, what will they do for insurance? What if she has a baby in Israel? Who is paying for her hospital stay and dr's visits?

You can't just come on 3 month tourist visa and expect to live there for a year with full benefits.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:29 pm
If they would be willing to be out of the city, they might be able to legally volunteer on a kibbutz in exchange for room and board.

Shuly

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:03 pm
Why don't they ask Nefesh B'nefesh if there is any way to do a trial year in Israel before deciding to make aliyah?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions