Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
How do you cook/eat your chicken?
1  2  Next

suomynona

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 8:58 am
Looking for more ideas.
Usually I just alternate between the same few sauces & bake. I usually serve with rice cooked with onion soup mix. Sometimes I serve with potatoes.

For shabbos I coat with breadcrumbs.

queen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:12 am
sweet & sour chix sauce:
mix equal amounts of ketchup and brown sugar. pour generously over chix and bake. makes great gravy

alternatives for rice: rice pilaff, orzo, couscous.....

thebestmommy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:26 am
Another good idea is to buy duck sauce (they come in many different flavors: sweet and sour, hot and spicy, garlic...) and just pour it over the chicken. Bake it open and it comes out delicious.

I also sometimes just put spices on (onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and seasoned salt). Nice and easy. This comes out better if you leave the skin on. Otherwise it tends to dry out quickly.

queen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:50 am
I use duck sauce WITHOUT the skin, but cover the pan and bake for 1 hour.... I dont find my chix tasting dry at all. in fact if it was- I wouldn't eat it!

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 11:08 am
queen, I am going to try the sweet and sour sauce, sounds good and easy

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 11:39 am
Quote:
I use duck sauce WITHOUT the skin, but cover the pan and bake for 1 hour...

ditto
and
Quote:
sweet & sour chix sauce:
mix equal amounts of ketchup and brown sugar. pour generously over chix and bake. makes great gravy

ditto again, do I know you Smile

I also do a mushrooms and fried onions which also give a different tast, or honey breaded chicken which my kids love and which is oven baked. Or you can make over the top, chicken stir fry which both my husband and I love Smile
Has anyone here made duck l'orange Question I tried it once it was a major flop, anyone tried and succeeded What

daisy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 12:38 pm
this is delicious:

1 12 oz jar of apricot preserves
1/3 c lemon juice
1/4 c mustard

boil for 5 minutes. Pour over chicken pieces. Bake for about an hour uncovered (or until ready)

Another good recipe is the chicken oreganata in Kosher by Design

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 1:07 pm
Simple and delicious: plain broiled chicken. You cn broil it over sliced potatoes too.

You can bake chicken over chopped onions, sliced carrots and potato chunks. Easy meal in one pan.

Chicken paprikas: Chop a whole lot of onions, lay the chicken on top. Season with s&p and plenty of paprika. Braise (cook tightly covered over a low flame.) If you like, you can remove the chicken when it's done and add water to the delicious gravy and drop in "nokerlach". To make nokerlach, beat an egg with some water, add s&p, a pinch of baking powder and enough flour to make a soft dough. Drop by spoonfuls into gravy and cook till done.

No other ideas. Chicken is so expensive here that we only have it on Shabbos.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 2:00 pm
Quote:
No other ideas. Chicken is so expensive here that we only have it on Shabbos

With us its meat and we only get it once in a blue moon

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 3:48 pm
Oh, meat's expensive here too. I make my chulent with hardly any meat - two or three bite-sized pieces per person.

lucy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 11:04 pm
1) spice with paprika, garlic, sliced onion, and a little watter
2) cook with italian tomatoe sauce and sliced potatoes
3) 2-3 TBSP of apricot jam, rosmary, touch of honey ( I usually put it all into a cup and in the micro for 1 min, then coat the chicken with it add a little water.

I always make my chicken without skin, never dry try adding a bit of water to sauces and don't over bake 1 1/2 hrs is plenty.

Rochel Leah

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:10 pm
Queen, the sweet and sour chicken came out DELICIOUS. my son loved it, and so did my hubby and I. thank you

daisy

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 12:39 pm
Queen, I also made your sweet & sour chicken this week, and we loved it as well!

supermom

Post Sat, Jul 02 2005, 6:28 pm
When I read this topic I thought you were asking how you eat your chicken. well I eat it with a fork and my hands. but my hubby eats it with a fork and a knife. Wink

I make sticky chicken

it is made with apricot jam, ketchup, onion soup mix, mayonaise cook it up until mixed through and pour over chicken and wala sticky chicken.

RedVines

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 10:48 pm
Supermom, Are those equal amounts of the ing? and do you boil them together? Sounds Delish!!!
I would love to try!

smile

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 2:26 pm
Quote:
sweet & sour chix sauce:

can one use white sugar?
anyway what is the different between white and brown sugar?

Quote:
I use duck sauce WITHOUT the skin, but cover the pan and bake for 1 hour

for 1/2 chicken how much sauce do you use?

shira

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 4:44 pm
supermom wrote:

it is made with apricot jam, ketchup, onion soup mix, mayonaise cook it up until mixed through and pour over chicken and wala sticky chicken.

I mix these same ingredients into a sauce
dip the chicken in the sauce and then bread in cornflake crumbs
place in pan over a bed of onions
bake for 1 hr covered, 1/2 hr uncovered

Its SO good!

Also, I like to mix lemon juice/oliveoil (equal ammts)/pepper/fresh garlic
marinate chicken and then grill. I use an indoor grill and it comes out great.

Good luck!

bracha

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 10:30 pm
Shira - is there a specific amount of each ingredient that you use? sounds great, I'd love to try it.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 1:38 pm
Quote:

queen, thanx so much for this.
last week I stewed chicken in it with zucchini, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. no leftovers Smile

happymom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 1:51 pm
I put a spice on the chicken called montreal chicken then bake it for 45 minutes and broil for 20 its so delicious noone can believe its just spices!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey