Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is Leora common in yeshivish circles?
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:22 am
In my yeshivish oot community, no one has this name. But I think it's really pretty. (im not saying I wouldn't use it bc it's not "frum" enough).

My other kids have pretty typical names like Moshe and Baila. Is it weird to add a more modern sounding name to the mix?

The name would probably be leora Bracha.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:25 am
It's not common, but it's not totally unheard of.

If you like the name, go for it! It's nice!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:27 am
It's not common, but it's around.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:29 am
amother wrote:

My other kids have pretty typical names like Moshe and Baila. Is it weird to add a more modern sounding name to the mix?

Just funny because I have a DD named Baila and it's totally not typical in my MO circles.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:42 am
My name is Leora! I get compliments on it all the time and love it. It's not typical so there won't be 5 Leora's in the class like there would be Sara or Rochel. I went to more MO schools though, but even so, I was usually the only Leora in my class. There wouldn't be any Leoras' in a Chassidish community or anything but 100% she wouldn't be ostracized for a name like Leora in a Yeshivish community. It's funny because I like it so much I wish it wasn't my name so I could name my future daughter Leora!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:01 pm
My grandmother was a Leola, not a Leora. People called her Lee for short.

Leola Doris for Leah Devorah.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:13 pm
We are Chareidi orthodox and have a daughter named Leora. Not a problem! (at least I don't have anyone telling me it is a problem)

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:29 pm
We have a sefer on names, and one of the last pages is a list of names that Rav Chaim Kanievsky said should not be used. Leora is on the list. Which stinks cuz is such a beautiful name! this book does not give an explanation for his statement.

leah233

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:37 pm
There is no haskafa issue with the name Leora but still it's one of those name rarely used

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:56 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
We have a sefer on names, and one of the last pages is a list of names that Rav Chaim Kanievsky said should not be used. Leora is on the list. Which stinks cuz is such a beautiful name! this book does not give an explanation for his statement.

What is the name of this sefer? Or better yet, could you type up the full list of names that he advises against. I don't want this devolve into a discussion of his shita, I just want to know all of the names he's against. Thanks!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:57 pm
It's my middle name and I love it! My parents' family is somewhere between MO and Yeshivish. I was born on Chanuka and they wanted to give me a name connected to the holiday, other Chanuka-related names were already used by other family members.

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:58 pm
An imamother has a Leora Bracha Smile

And a friend of mine has a Liora Miriam.

It's such a pretty name.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:07 pm
My name is Shira and that's one of the names R' Chaim Kanievsky is also against.. Go figure. I love my name.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 4:19 pm
Dh would never let us name a kid something that Rav Kanievsky didn't approve of. I would also love to see the list.

I remember reading in the book about the Rebbetzin, they he advised someone to name their kid something ( I forget the name), and I remember thinking it was a very pretty, but more modern sounding name, and I was a bit surprised.

When I was a madricha for a Kiruv program, years ago, if a girl didn't have a jewish name, they went to ask the rav to name her. So I trust his opinion on this matter.

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:55 pm
This is the cover of the sefer
http://I.imgur.com/bJ55KZ3.jpg

This is the page with rav Kanievsky list
http://I.imgur.com/somXHfv.jpg

For most names the author does not give rav Kanievsky reason, but a few do have explanations. (Meira, Yaffa, feminized malachim are the only ones I remember)

silbergirl

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:16 am
I basically see very common names on the list, nothing funky. Not everybody wants to be Chana Rochel vol. 1001.... Tongue Out (dont get me wrong, its beautiful, but super common. I know millions of chanas.)

I know a very chassidic girl from a very chassidic frum family with the name Muriel... according to the list its also forbidden... don't ask me where he got that from. Yeah, gadol hador and all but as I said we need more diversity. We cant all exclusively be Sara, Rivka, Rachel and Leah (even though its beautiful names).

I know Liorahs, Talias, Naamas, Shilohs, Shiras, Refuels; Gavriels, Gavriellas, Leeats.... all yeshivish frum.... noone has a problem with it.

I know some people had to change their names after they talked to rabbonim (for the reason its not a "proper biblical name"). They are very unhappy with the new names they got. And why are Yiddish names or Aramaic ones that are derived from Greek (like Feivel) or German (Reizel) okay? (I have both, Reizel and Feivel in my family)

Dont mess with a gadol Hador but still.... I'm wondering.

Last edited by silbergirl on Sun, Apr 26 2015, 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:53 am
Ha! My name is on the list too! I had no idea... Good thing I don't follow this shitah on naming Very Happy

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:00 am
I'm wondering if I'm misreading the list, due to the lack of vowels....he was opposed to the name Fraida? (That's my grandmother's name - may she live to be 120.....)

joy613

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:09 am
Looks to me like Freeda because there's one yud. t's a common name in the Syrian community.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 11:12 am
I don't manage to read either, I was wondering if it exists in english or hebrew but clearer
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names