Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Leaving 19 month old at my parents for 5 days

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:06 pm
my husband is desperate to go on vacation without my son. We love him dearly but it's not exactly vaction with him (we usually take him everywheeverywherete) I Am Bh expecting so this will probably be our last vacation for a while.....is it nuts to leave my 19 month old by my parents Sunday to Thursday? My mom loves kids, has tons of toys, lots of patience.....I am just so nervous to leave him.......has anyone done it??

MMCH

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:10 pm
I've done it, it was great!!!
Same exact scenario, I was like 6 months prego, my DD1 was 19 months, and my parents watched her from Sunday to Friday morning.
I was really nervous, but it ended up being great! Its really a great age, because they can communicate a little, they most probably sleep through the night, you can take nice long walks with them.
My daughter also went to a babysitter at that time, from 9-12, when I worked in the morning. So my mother dropped her off, and then picked her up, gave her a nap, and they had the best time!

Go on the vacation now, when you can! Its so much harder as you have more kids, and they get bigger, and there is carpool, homework, catching the bus, preparing lunches!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:31 pm
Op here thanks for calming me. I'll also iyh be about 6 months pregnant;) wish mom lived in same city as me as I send him to babysitting 915 to 215 everyday......but I'm sure she will give him much more tlc and attention lol....he sleeps bh thru the night and naps once so it's only a few hours a day to entertain him...

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:38 pm
I did it too when my oldest was about that age and I was expecting my second. I left her by my sister who is great with kids and has kids around the same age. She had did great there, and we had a great time. And that was our last vacation without the kids, 15 years ago. Once we had more kids and our friends and family had more kids, it didn't seem fair to leave them with other people. Leaving one is very different from leaving two or more. My oldest will soon be old enough to babysit overnight, we're looking forward to being able to go on vacation again!

summer0808

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:45 pm
I did it more than once. (different kids) It wasnt officially vacation but for OOT simchas. The kids b'h survive very well. The problem is my mother is getting older and I dont think I can leave a child that age with her anymore.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:48 pm
how well does he know your mom?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 8:56 pm
oliveoil wrote:
how well does he know your mom?

pretty well...we go for shabbos and we will be going for shavuos which is a few days before we want to go.....

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:32 pm
I did it when my kids were little.

I'd be thrilled if my grandkids came to me like that! When my DD and SIL want to vacation, they want to stay together as a family, though.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:14 pm
Where will you be going? How far is it from your mom?

mommee

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:32 pm
I've done it and it was harder for me than it was for my kids Very Happy first time I left child #1 with my parents and went while expecting child #2. I also left #s 1&2 when I was expecting #3...I had more anxiety about leaving them and how they'd feel than they did. They had a good time with my parents and were fine and are fine and well adjusted to this day Wink

Last edited by mommee on Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 10:40 pm
It depends so much on the kid. 19 months is that borderline age. It might be ok, it might not. Can you for a little less time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics