Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Need your opinion.. is it gross
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:28 pm
I'm thinking whether to put this in the shalom bayis section cuz we've been fighting over this issue forever...I have a sponge on my sink all the time which I use to wipe the counters, the sink and once in a while the dishes if they're not too dirty or oily. Of course, I use soap too. My husband thinks it's gross to use it for the dishes and the sink as well. I grew up seeing this all the time and I can't, for the life of mine, see what the problem is. So yesterday, after arguing again, I told him I'll ask imamother and if people approve then I don't want to hear one more word about this issue. So whaddaya think, is it gross Question Question Question Question

tweety99

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:30 pm
mm, yeh personally I wouldnt do that. I mean, you get all sorts of stuff going into ur sink!

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:35 pm
I dont always but I sometimes use the sponge that I use for dishes to wipe the sink. if the sink is good enough to put my dishes into then why cant I use the same sponge? I dont dump gross stuff into the kitchen sinks anyways. I use the one outside by the washing machine or the bathroom sink. or if its really gross ill dump it down the toilet.

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:50 pm
hey if it bother him so much...then why do it?..

MMEC123

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 4:59 pm
Ew, I think it's gross. I would never do that.

happyone

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:10 pm
Why not give him the job of doing the sink his way when you're done with the dishes.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:10 pm
Nothing wrong with doing it the way you are .

Dini

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:18 pm
I do it the same as you but if dh minds it so much I wld change

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:46 pm
Doesn't your sink get AJAX , other harsh detergents, sour milk, spoiled food in/on it occasionally?

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:51 pm
humm..wow I have a sep sponge for cleaning the sink and surrounding areas..

But maybe that's because I have to use plastic bins to sep meat and milk...

so the sink is basically trayf

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:58 pm
I have a seperate wiping thing for my counters and a sponge for my dishes.
yeah I think its eww to use one for both.
the counters get all kinds of stuff on them and I wouldn't want to rub them into my dishes.

mamaloosh

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 6:20 pm
I think you should get to do it 'your way' if you're the one who is responsible for cleaning the kitchen.

Also, just something interesting-

There was a survey done on germs within standard households, and they found that the countertops that were constantly being wiped down with a sponge or cloth that sits in the sink or on the counter had 10 TIMES MORE germs and bacteria on them than the countertops that were only occasionally wiped down. While the countertops might LOOK cleaner if you're wiping them all the time, you're actually just moving the germs around, EVEN if you use soap. EWW, huh?

I just never do dishes or wipe the counters at all, so I don't have a say as to what's gross or not. Wink

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 6:56 pm
I do the same as you. But after I wash down the counters with soap I wipe it down with a clean fresh cloth.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 6:58 pm
Well what do you use to wash lets say a cutting board that you just used for raw meat? If you wash that with the same sponge as the dishes isnt that gross too?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 7:53 pm
mamaloosh wrote:

Also, just something interesting-

There was a survey done on germs within standard households, and they found that the countertops that were constantly being wiped down with a sponge or cloth that sits in the sink or on the counter had 10 TIMES MORE germs and bacteria on them than the countertops that were only occasionally wiped down. While the countertops might LOOK cleaner if you're wiping them all the time, you're actually just moving the germs around, EVEN if you use soap. EWW, huh?

well that would make sense...IF you didn't change the cloth often enough Wink
but yes those cloths do get disgusting, I just changed one over myself
Also I always use a disinfecting spray on the counters.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 7:55 pm
red sea wrote:
Well what do you use to wash lets say a cutting board that you just used for raw meat? If you wash that with the same sponge as the dishes isnt that gross too?

good point!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:16 pm
separate sponge for sink/counters and dif type of scrungie for dishes

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 4:42 am
tweety99 wrote:
mm, yeh personally I wouldnt do that. I mean, you get all sorts of stuff going into ur sink!

This is a good point. I couldn't see what was wrong with using the same sponge until I read this. I use the same sponge for dishes, sink, counters...but all that goes into my sink and on my counters is stuff that came off of my dishes (leftover food, etc.) or other stuff of that ilk. But if you're dumping a lot of other gross stuff in your sink, maybe you should rethink it.

But either way, if it bothers dh so much, why not invest in a "shalom bayis sponge"?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:46 am
Ima'la - I like your idea of calling it a "shalom bayis sponge" and thank you ladies for giving me your opinions. So I suppose I'll try having a different one but then every time I want to wash, let's say, one spoon, fork, etc I have to take out a different sponge? I mean, I'm not gonna keep 2 on my sink all the time? Sorry for the questions, I have a very hard time adjusting to change.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:32 am
I say the only thing that gets the sink dirty is the same thing that is on the dishes, so I see no issue with washing the sink with the same sponge...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics