Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Couple in early 50's relocating to Lakewood. Where?
1  2  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:14 pm

We are looking to move to Lakewood and are wondering what neighborhood has a mix of people both in ages and in type. We are Chassidish but don't want to live in a Chassidish only development as we are used to living in a mixed crowd and like it. We do need to live close to a chassidish type shul (can be a mixed crowd or very Chassidish) where davening is in nusach sfard and people davening there serious and down to earth. We would feel most comfortable is a not very fancy crowd although we do like nice things ;-). Once again, a mix of style would be great.

In terms of houses we do not want to live in a development the style of a bungalow colony. We would prefer more of a "neighborhood" with sidewalks please! We would like a nice house & can up to $600,000 (but preferably a lot less). I would love an in ground pool but my husband can go either way on that as he doesn't swim.

We would appreciate suggestions as to which neighborhoods we should be looking in!
[

sourstix

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:18 pm
if you are willing to pay this price. toms river has stunning houses! I passed there last week and my mouth fell open. I dont know about how chasidish tho. call up a reall estate agent they can help. good luck.

imalady

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:23 pm
If you want a nice development, somerset village is very nice, single family homes, clubhouse with a pool and a gym room and very nice people all 55+. Prices are in the 400's for a large nice home.

Otherwise, you might like the 14th street neighborhood, again nice houses, (pool possible) and a lovely mix of shuls and Rabbonim.

I'd recommend you reach out to a real estate agent. I have personal experience with Avigail Josilowsky at remax. 732-606-6645. Good luck

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:36 pm
imalady wrote:
If you want a nice development, somerset village is very nice, single family homes, clubhouse with a pool and a gym room and very nice people all 55+. Prices are in the 400's for a large nice home.

Otherwise, you might like the 14th street neighborhood, again nice houses, (pool possible) and a lovely mix of shuls and Rabbonim.

I'd recommend you reach out to a real estate agent. I have personal experience with Avigail Josilowsky at remax. 732-606-6645. Good luck

Thanks for the quick responses.

I didn't realize that Somerset Village was for 55+. The two 55+ places we heard about were A Country Place and Pine River. We are both under 55 and feel that living in a place where the youngest is 55 would make us "old" quicker. Maybe iif we were 10 - 15 years older.

The 14th Street neighborhood looked nice and we know several people there. We actually spent a Shabbos there and at least in the Shul that we davened in it seemed that there was a lot of keeping up with the "joneses" and that would bother us. I would always feel insecure (yes, my issue...)

We actually looked at a ranch house in the 14th Street area and liked the idea of living on one floor although there is something to be said about having the bedrooms on a separate floor. Ultimately we decided against that house but are still considering that area.

And no, we do not WANT to spend $600,000. We *could* spend that much based upon the offers we got on our current house. We would be much happier spending a lot less but we need at least 3-4 bedrooms and lots of living space for various reasons. We want a nice house but our aim is not gorgeous or to poke anyone's eyes out! It would be great to have an in-law apt. for my in-laws who are elderly. If that works out we would consider having them live with us and that would well be worth the higher price.

Last edited by amother on Sun, May 10 2015, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Notsobusy

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:46 pm
Pine River is very close to Sommerset Village, but it's not for 55+. The only places like that are A Country Place and Sommerset Village. (There are others, but I don't think they have frum people in them.)

14th Street is definitely more "keeping up with the Joneses". It doesn't sound like you would be happy there. There are Chassidim and Chassidish shuls in and around the Brookhill neighborhood.

There is also a Heimish/Chassidish shul in the Miller Rd neighborhood.

imalady

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:49 pm
Sorry you are right it is called Pine River Village and its next to bSOmerset walk, my mistake.

Lakewood is full of bilevels which can be legally changed into mother-daughter homes so an in law apt. is easily done.

You might want to check out the area near R' Gissinger's shul. Really nice blocks, a mix neighborhood age wise but I'm not sure about a very chassidishe shul, although you can easily find a sfard minyan.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 5:04 pm

Once again thank you to those who took the time to respond!

imalady wrote:

Lakewood is full of bilevels which can be legally changed into mother-daughter homes so an in law apt. is easily done.

Can you tell me exactly what a bi-level is? What is the difference between a bi-level and a split level? I finally learned the difference between a townhome and a duplex but all the terms are confusing.

imalady wrote:

You might want to check out the area near R' Gissinger's shul. Really nice blocks, a mix neighborhood age wise but I'm not sure about a very chassidishe shul, although you can easily find a sfard minyan.

In what area is Rabbi Gissinger's shul? We have relied on him for certain shailos over the years (asked through someone else as we don't live there). While we have the highest respect for him I don't think that his shul would be the right fit for us. But maybe there is a chassidishe shul around there.

Does anyone know if there are any new construction developments (something like a cul de sac or a few homes) that is a mix of ages? We don't mind the little children but would not want to be the grandparents of a neighborhood!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 5:50 pm
First of all, I just want to clarify what I wrote last night ( I was really tired). There is Pine River and Pine River Village (not Sommerset Village), Pine River Village is the one for 55+.

A bi-level has two floors. The front door opens to a landing, with about 7 stairs to go either up or down. Usually upstairs has the kitchen, living room, dining room and a couple of bedrooms, with more bedrooms and a playroom or study downstairs. Of course some have the rooms set up differently, but most that I've seen are like that.

In a split level you come in on the main floor, which usually consists of the kitchen, living room and dining room. There are about 7 steps to go upstairs, where the bedrooms are, and another seven to go down, where the playroom and study are. Again, some are set up differently.

I don't know of any chassidish shul near R' Gissinger, but I may be wrong. The shul is on Sunset, the neighborhood is called New England Village.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 6:16 pm
Today I noticed a Bobov shul at the corner of Kennedy Blvd and Squankum. I know the streets near there have a mix of older and not so old couples. You probably won't find couples in their 20's, probably more like 30s-60s. That neighborhood is from Route 9 or maybe Clifton Ave till Squankum and the higher number streets, depends on how far you want to walk to shul, maybe 10th St till 14th St. 14th St on that side of Route 9 is not like the other side of Route 9. You don't have the big houses, and the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude.

There's also a Skver shtiebel somewhere around there, but I'm not sure where it is.

imalady

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 6:36 pm
the bilevel I live in has very few steps, its almost like a hi-ranch in Monsey. Sometimes it is called a raised ranch. The downstairs is just ground level. THis means that you can add an apartment downstairs if you needed to.

A Split has only 4 steps between floors. The design is otherwise spacious and pleasant, but there aren't actually so many of those. Most homes that are not "development" are bilevels, I think the number is 75-80%. there are also a lot of ranches.

New England Village is near R' Gissinger, there are other neighborhoods there as well (Carasaljo or Carranetta, not sure which one but there is a house for sale there. Mixed neighborhood age-wise, centrally located and while I don't know of a sheibel there is certainly a sfard minyan. If your house doesn't have a pool there will be plenty for rent within walking distance.

You may want to see if there is a house for sale in Red Oak/White Oak. If there is you won't get a pool, but otherwise it sounds like a good fit. There is a mix of ages. The houses are large and nice with rentable basements. I don't think it would work with an in-law apt. without some construction. (there are steps up to the front door, but there is a side entrance. price is within your range but not always available. many heimeshe families.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 8:06 pm
imalady wrote:

You may want to see if there is a house for sale in Red Oak/White Oak. If there is you won't get a pool, but otherwise it sounds like a good fit. There is a mix of ages. The houses are large and nice with rentable basements. I don't think it would work with an in-law apt. without some construction. (there are steps up to the front door, but there is a side entrance. price is within your range but not always available. many heimeshe families.

Thanks Imalady and Glutenless for the explanation. I guess we will have to look at some bi-levels and split levels to really get the idea of what it is but at least we have an idea now.

Where are the Miller Rd. and the Red Oak/White Oak neighborhoods? And if anyone knows of new construction in a mixed neighborhood (age and chassidish/yeshivish) please let me know. We are planning to spend a day or two in Lakewood this week or next and want to check out all suggestions.

June

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:08 am
amother wrote:

Where are the Miller Rd. and the Red Oak/White Oak neighborhoods? And if anyone knows of new construction in a mixed neighborhood (age and chassidish/yeshivish) please let me know. We are planning to spend a day or two in Lakewood this week or next and want to check out all suggestions.

Miller Road runs from New Central Ave to Hope Rd. (Near West Gate) It's a beautiful tree-lined neighborhood.

Red Oak/White Oak are down E 7th St/Ridge. Relatively new houses (maybe 10 years old?), though big and ugly (imo).

Why don't you contact a real estate agent who can help you find appropriate houses in your price range? Then you can come back here and ask more specific questions about different neighborhoods.

Good Luck!

Notsobusy

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:55 am
I agree with June. If you're going to be in Lakewood for the day, call a realtor a few days before, so they know what you're looking for and they can show you a few houses in that day. The realtors really know the neighborhoods, so they can show what you're looking for.

Once you do that, you'll probably be totally confused, feel free to come back and ask all the questions you want to. We'll try our best to help.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:38 am
amother wrote:

The 14th Street neighborhood looked nice and we know several people there. We actually spent a Shabbos there and at least in the Shul that we davened in it seemed that there was a lot of keeping up with the "joneses" and that would bother us. I would always feel insecure (yes, my issue...)

There are a few different shuls in the 14th street area. Not all of them are the same. I have relatives who daven in Zichron Shneur and they are the most down-to-earth people on this planet.

kollel wife

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:59 am
If you are considering having elderly parents live with you, you might want to rethink a bi-level. I believe these have stairs that you must always use as opposed to a regular upstairs/downstairs where at some point the elderly person can live on the ground floor.

As people get older stairs become very difficult, sometimes impossible. You want to know that you have a bedroom and bathroom easily accesible with no or little stairs. A rampt can be placed at the front entrance to a house if the stairs are minimal. Of course we daven our parents should remain in good health, but it's best to plan practically.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:53 am

We are in an uncomfortable situation with a broker. We felt obligated to use someone who is related to us and don't feel like she is taking us seriously. Maybe she thinks we really won't move or maybe she is inexperienced or not ambitious. She doesn't seem to know the neighborhoods too well. I think she lives in Lakewood for only two yearsy but personally if I was a broker I would make sure to know all the neighborhoods. We need to call another broker but the whole thing is very "touchy".

We have already been to Lakewood several times and drove around different neighborhoods to try to get an idea of what would work for us. But it is hard to tell just from driving. Maybe now that the weather is nice people will be out more.

The point about the stairs is definitely something we are thinking about. Even at our age we would be happy not to have stairs (or lots of stairs as we have now). We were thinking either an expanded ranch with the upstairs being the extra bedrooms or even a bilevel if there is room to build out for the in-laws.

Another question about neighborhoods: Is there any place that would work for my in-laws in terms of social or shopping. We would like my father-in-law to stop driving but I will be unable to chauffeur them around as I will be working. I am worried that they will be stuck somewhere without being able to get out unless we hire someone to take them.

kollel wife

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:29 am
I live here a long time but have trouble answering your question. I don't really know what would be a good neighborhood for you.

Perhaps near Clifton Avenue shopping where you can find older houses/families that have lived her a long time. You may prefer however a neighborhood where there are others relocating as well. It might be easier to make friends that way.
Living near a busy shopping area isn't going to necessarily give you the house you want.

For example there's the Villas, near Ateres Yeshaya, where you have a grocery store and pharmacy. But I don't know that you'll find a house there easily. And it is more of a complex. I'm not sure if there are sidewalks. To get a big picture a realtor would be helpful. But I understand why that is very awkward. Maybe the next best would be someone who already gone searching for a home and is familiar with the different neighborhoods and markets.

Where's the chassidishe lady who was moving here and doesn't drive - are you reading this - what did you find out about different neighborhoods and proximity to shopping?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:29 am
Off hand if say miller rd area
Nice Chasidishe Shuls , very friendly ppl, large yards and you can take a bus to west gate

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:39 pm
I would recommend the brookhill area and surrounding neighborhoods. there are many chassidish shuls off of county line that seem to fit that requirement.

imalady

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:35 pm
The best thing for you would be to call another agent and tell her in advance that she would have to split the commission with your relative. Another option is agents who will work for a fee, usually not too high, which means that they can find you a specific house that you can then ask your relative to show you. This way you get the help you need and she gets paid by the seller.

There are many neighborhoods that can fit what you are looking for. The proximity to stores and whatever complicates things more than the house style.

As far as a mortgage broker, Eretz funding is the way to go. In the business for years and can deal with issues to get the deal closed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating