Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO: pie crust recipe with oil
1  2  Next

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:03 am
Is this even possible? A pie crust recipe I can make and freeze which uses oil? Alternatively, what's a relatively healthy shortening that doesn't have trans fat?

I want to make an all-purpose crust kind of like the ones you find in the freezer to make quiches other sweet pies (cream or fruit etc.

Thanks!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:13 am
1 cup flour
1/3 cup shortning ... (sorry - maybe put in less oil?)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup ice water

single pie crust ... put in food processor ... and slowly add water (make sure the ice does not go in)

for sweet I add a little sugar

for quiche I add a little spice

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 3:45 am
What I usually do is one of the following. If I want a sweet crust I make the kind of cookie dough that is used to roll out and make shape cookies and roll I into a crust instead. I know there are oil recipes out there, but I just substitute oil for margarine in a regular recipe. If I want a saavory crust I have a quick pizza crust recipe that calls for oil and baking power instead of yeast that I roll into a crust.

supermom

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 6:53 am
Whole Wheat Crust

6 TBSPS oil
1 Cup WW Flour
3 Tbsps brown Sugar
1/4 Cup shredded coconut

Bake for five to ten minutes.

Coconut makes things sweeter without the extra sugar.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:58 am
This is a really good one - VERY easy of you have a kitchen aid but can be done by hand, too.

1-3/4c all purp flour (sometimes I subst 1/2 c whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c canola oil
5TBs cold water

1. Mix flour and salt. Add oil. Mix until well blended. Add water and knead until dough forms a ball.

2. Divide dough in half. Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper crossed to make a plus sign. (Its good to put a few drops of water on the counter under the wax paper so it doesn't slide around while you're rolling).

3. Peel off top layer of wax paper and lay pie dough in pie pan. Remove other layer of paper once dough is in place. Trim excess from edges. Poke a few holes in bottom with a fork - bake 350 for 10 mins.

Good luck - happy baking!

If using for a top dough of a pie, cut an X in he center and three or four venting slits before baking.

miriam

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:53 pm
I make pie crust all the time. I use a healthy margarine. http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:11 pm
I only make crumb crusts, from the purple lub cookbook. you can make a thinner, bottom only crust, if the health factor bothers you.

by the way - a pie is a winter item, in our house.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:10 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
This is a really good one - VERY easy of you have a kitchen aid but can be done by hand, too.

1-3/4c all purp flour (sometimes I subst 1/2 c whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c canola oil
5TBs cold water

1. Mix flour and salt. Add oil. Mix until well blended. Add water and knead until dough forms a ball.

2. Divide dough in half. Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper crossed to make a plus sign. (Its good to put a few drops of water on the counter under the wax paper so it doesn't slide around while you're rolling).

3. Peel off top layer of wax paper and lay pie dough in pie pan. Remove other layer of paper once dough is in place. Trim excess from edges. Poke a few holes in bottom with a fork - bake 350 for 10 mins.

Good luck - happy baking!

If using for a top dough of a pie, cut an X in he center and three or four venting slits before baking.

I guess I need to get wax paper. I have parchment paper but I suppose can't use that?

Btw, what is purp flour? Oh I get it. All Purpose Flour? Do you ever freeze the dough?

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:12 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I only make crumb crusts, from the purple lub cookbook. you can make a thinner, bottom only crust, if the health factor bothers you.

so you can only give me pie recipes in the winter then? Wink Just curious, why does pie = winter for your home? To me it's multi-seasonal.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:13 pm
miriam wrote:
I make pie crust all the time. I use a healthy margarine. http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html

this sounds good. Anyone seen this in CH?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:31 pm
bashinda I have frozen the dough in a pie pan - but its much better fresh. Also, I think you could roll it in parchment paper - I think the reason for rolling in the paper is so the dough doesn't stick to the counter - parchment paper will probably achieve the same thing. Good luck.

BTW, what are you making?

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:44 pm
well I was going to use it for a quiche but found a dairy quiche recipe in the spice and spirit cookbook and we shall see how that works out. I just want a simple all-purpose crust to stick in the freezer for various pies (quiches, pudding, fruit pies etc.). I'm trying to have things on hand for use to make things easier. Also I'm trying to make mixes to have on hand to simplify things a little.

Mommish

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:48 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Why winter? Summer is when you can get fresh fruit.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:56 pm
should have checked here first!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com.....40997

miriam

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 12:35 am
bashinda wrote:

I guess I need to get wax paper. I have parchment paper but I suppose can't use that?

You can use parchment papr.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 6:18 am
Bashinda, you can freeze the pie crust (unbaked is better) but I wouldn't freeze a quiche. I've tried it and they are quite watery when defrosted. I make quiche all the time with the recipe I gave you - it should work fine.

bashinda

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 9:20 am
I would freeze raw pie crust dough. wouldn't freeze a quiche. I find it already watery right after it's baked.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 9:28 am
yeah that link was kool ... I dont roll out pie crusts either ... just press them to the pan ... and fork the ourside so it looks nice ... if I wanted to lattice the top I would roll out just a bit for that ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 10:17 am
it's a winter item b/c in the summer, it's hot to leave the oven on for a whole hour to bake it.

bashinda

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 11:17 pm
Wow. But a lot of things take an hour (or more) in the oven not just pie. I bake anyway.

also, it's possible to make pies where the filling doesn't get baked and it only takes about 20 minutes to bake a crust.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics