Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Monsey Trails Sued for Employment Discrimination
1  2  3  4  Next

marina

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:09 pm
http://nypost.com/2015/05/16/b.....vers/

And it's about time. This is America, welcome.

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:19 pm
Oh good lord. Even if they do win this case, any woman driver working there will have her life made a living hell. Sometimes it's not worth the fight. Just move on, lady. Geez.

marina

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:24 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
Oh good lord. Even if they do win this case, any woman driver working there will have her life made a living hell. Sometimes it's not worth the fight. Just move on, lady. Geez.

What? No. If they win or even get a settlement, that sends a strong message that you can't discriminate against people just because your customers don't want to be around women/blacks/gentiles, etc.

It's not about those women specifically- just like the civil rights movement wasn't about how much Rosa Parks liked riding buses.

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:42 pm
marina wrote:
What? No. If they win or even get a settlement, that sends a strong message that you can't discriminate against people just because your customers don't want to be around women/blacks/gentiles, etc.

It's not about those women specifically- just like the civil rights movement wasn't about how much Rosa Parks liked riding buses.

Sometimes it's not worth it. I am all for change in Chareidi enclaves but taking on Monsey Trails is silly and a waste of time. It's a bus company. So they don't hire women drivers. Big whoop.

Now, if they weren't letting women RIDE the bus, or forcing them to sit in the back, that would be a different story. But not hiring female bus drivers? Again, who the hell cares???? So you can waste time and money yelling at a brick wall? There's no on there to hear the "lesson". Sometimes it's smarter to pick your battles.

Oh, and P.S. I've been on Monsey Trails buses with (admittedly male) non-Jewish drivers. So they do hire non-Jews, but I guess just men.

Sadie

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:47 pm
Good for her. Hope she wins.

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:15 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
Sometimes it's not worth it. I am all for change in Chareidi enclaves but taking on Monsey Trails is silly and a waste of time. It's a bus company. So they don't hire women drivers. Big whoop.

Now, if they weren't letting women RIDE the bus, or forcing them to sit in the back, that would be a different story. But not hiring female bus drivers? Again, who the hell cares???? So you can waste time and money yelling at a brick wall? There's no on there to hear the "lesson". Sometimes it's smarter to pick your battles.

Oh, and P.S. I've been on Monsey Trails buses with (admittedly male) non-Jewish drivers. So they do hire non-Jews, but I guess just men.

Women are pressure to sit on a specific side and often asked to move to give men more space. I know this first hand. It's really hard to be a young teenager and stand up to the pressure of intimidating adult men.

Have you ever ridden a monsey bus?

nywife

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:18 pm
The article doesn't mention whether she applied and was rejected because she's female, or if she's bringing the case because they have never yet hired a female driver. If it's the latter I don't know how strong of a case she has.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:38 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
SNIP
But not hiring female bus drivers? Again, who the hell cares???? So you can waste time and money yelling at a brick wall? There's no on there to hear the "lesson". Sometimes it's smarter to pick your battles.
SNIP

I care.

The women who are denied employment because of gender discrimination, and their families, care.

Do you work? What if your employer fired you today, because you're a woman. Would you say "who the hell cares?"

And if your husband's employer fired him because he's a Jew -- and really, since he could easily convert, that's much less troubling than gender discrimination -- would you say fine, "who the hell cares."

We ALL need to care about discrimination.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:10 pm
Seriously.. leave the poor chasidim alone for once.. If they complain about public bussing, everyone screams. If they make their own service to accomodate their customers, everyone screams. They can never win.
Let them have their lifestyle where they can ride busses without tznius issues.
Don't ride Monsey busses if you don't want.

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:21 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Seriously.. leave the poor chasidim alone for once.. If they complain about public bussing, everyone screams. If they make their own service to accomodate their customers, everyone screams. They can never win.

AFAIK MT is government subsidized. They shouldn't accept the money if they won't comply with the strings attached. Would the males boycott the bus? Do they not fly with female pilots?

What bothers be is when I shop in a store like Banana Republic and a man wants to help me pick out a shirt to match my skirt. Female sales people belong in the women's department. Males belong in the men's department. Sometimes the PC folks takes things too far. I don't care if DH is driven by a female, I care when a man comments on my outfit.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:23 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

The "poor chasidim" are living in the United States, and are subject to its laws. The same laws that tell employers that they can't refuse to hire the "poor chasidim" because they cover their heads, or have beards, or won't work late Friday night, also tell the "poor chasidim" that they cannot refuse to hire women.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:26 pm
Would anyone scream at a Muslem company that only hired Arabs?
Why would you want to work for someone who doesn't want you??
So they are not politically smart enough to make up some other excuse for not hiring women than making it a company policy, people need to find better things to do with their time.
If they would hire female drivers, you would hear complaints of a dress code of men not handing the women things of men not looking at them.

Rebesq

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:27 pm
Notshanarishona, I don't mean to react strongly but Monsey Trails is a company that gets government funding. Why should they be allowed to break the law? Let them forego funding and make all busses private busses. Also, at least half of their customers are not chassidish.

mirror

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:27 pm
Barbara wrote:
I care.

The women who are denied employment because of gender discrimination, and their families, care.

Do you work? What if your employer fired you today, because you're a woman. Would you say "who the hell cares?"

And if your husband's employer fired him because he's a Jew -- and really, since he could easily convert, that's much less troubling than gender discrimination -- would you say fine, "who the hell cares."

We ALL need to care about discrimination.

Oh please. There are lots of other bus companies that hire female drivers.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:29 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Would anyone scream at a Muslem company that only hired Arabs?
Why would you want to work for someone who doesn't want you??
So they are not politically smart enough to make up some other excuse for not hiring women than making it a company policy, people need to find better things to do with their time.
If they would hire female drivers, you would hear complaints of a dress code of men not handing the women things of men not looking at them.

Yes, people would scream at a Muslim company hiring only Arabs.

But its interesting to hear that so many people here support companies that refuse to hire Jews. I mean, why would you want to work for such companies? Completely fine with you.

Me, not so much.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:31 pm
Devoirie wrote:

Right. Lots of companies hire Jews. Perfectly fine for your employer and your husband's employer to tell you to work Friday night, or not to come back in on Monday.

No difference at all.

marina

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:31 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Those people who don't want to hire women- they can go live on a misogynistic island somewhere and ride their little buses in peace. But not in this country. Figure out how to comply with the law or get out.

zohar

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:35 pm
marina wrote:
Those people who don't want to hire women- they can go live on a misogynistic island somewhere and ride their little buses in peace. But not in this country. Figure out how to comply with the law or get out.

Aren't you tolerant.

I love how liberals think they are the tolerant ones. What about "live and let live."

zohar

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:36 pm
Also, DH is going to sue our local mikvah because they have never, ever hired a female attendant.

marina

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:36 pm
Devoirie wrote:

Uh, okay. Let's extend your argument a little, yes?

DUH, there are lots of colleges that admit females, why do you need this one?

Oh, please, there are lots of magazines with photos of women, why do you care that all females are blurred out in this one?

Look, there's plenty of other jobs Jews can do, why do you davka want to be a doctor?

Oh, please, you don't like to get paid half as much as men? Just find a different company to work for! Why are you suing these nice people?

Come on, there's a nice water fountain in the back for negros. What's your problem?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics