Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Cold salmon

sped

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:42 am
I am looking for a really good recipe that is served cold. I once saw one in which the fish is briefly cooked and then marinated overnight in a creamy dressing. It was delicious, but I don't remember the details.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:29 am
You can't go wrong with classic poached salmon. I use 1/2 water 1/2 white wine (just enough to cover the side of salmon), quartered onion, 1 stalk celery, a few peppercorn, just enough salt so the liquid is not too bland but before you can actually taste salt for poaching liquid. You'll need a large-ish piece, not individual slices. Make sure you poach over a low heat, you'll need to check after the first 20min or so (I use the entire salmon half) to make sure it's not overcooked so it doesn't dry out. You can add branches of dills and/or tarragon on top of fish. Keep in the poaching liquid and let cool. Serve with either lemony mayo or dill mayo.

You can also bake the salmon and serve room temp. I spread a small amount of mayo mixed with paprika, pepper, chopped dill on top of fish so it doesn't dry out, and bake covered.

Moroccan fish made with salmon and teriyaki salmon also can be served at room temp, but not chilled.

You can do escaveche (traditionally made with white flesh fish but salmon works) but it's a bit more patchke (dust and fry, sautee julienned veggies, then marinade all together).

If you get REALLY fresh fish (sushi quality), you can do seviche (lime marinade 'cooks' the fish), but I won't keep it too long.

SS6099

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:44 am
Sweet and sour salmon is yum served cold. Not creamy like your OP but good too Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:43 am
sped wrote:
I am looking for a really good recipe that is served cold. I once saw one in which the fish is briefly cooked and then marinated overnight in a creamy dressing. It was delicious, but I don't remember the details.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....r=asc

sped

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:07 am
Thanks. The one I am looking for had ketchup an no pickling spices. (The pickling spices is the problem - I don't have any and do not like the taste.)

June

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:19 am
sped wrote:
Thanks. The one I am looking for had ketchup an no pickling spices. (The pickling spices is the problem - I don't have any and do not like the taste.)

Is this what you're looking for? it's very similar to the one on the other thread. I got this recipe from my sister and made it a few times. I don't love it, but it's decent.

Ingredients

Salmon Steaks
salt
water
sliced onions

sauce:
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c water
1/4 c ketchup

Directions

bring fish to boil in salted water, cook until soft (about 10 min after boiling)
place cooked fish into dish/pan, with sliced onions on top
mix sauce ingredients, blend until smooth
pour over fish, cover and refrigerate overnight.

sped

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 5:14 am
I think so. Thanks.
Now dh couldn't get the salmon Sad. The store said they are out of the one on sale but have for double the price?!?!
I hope we will get it in another place. Bez"H.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 5:46 am
The most important thing about making salmon is NOT to overcook it!

I make it all the time and do it super simple and healthy.

I spray oil on top and sprinkle salt pepper and powdered garlic.

Comes out delicious!

It's great served hot or cold

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 5:52 am
JMM-uc wrote:
The most important thing about making salmon is NOT to overcook it!

I make it all the time and do it super simple and healthy.

I spray oil on top and sprinkle salt pepper and powdered garlic.

Comes out delicious!

It's great served hot or cold

I agree!
I used to make sauces and worry about how to make it right. I finally realized that salmon has such a great taste that the sauces just hide it. Salt, pepper and a little spices is the best. Parsley makes it pretty.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:43 am
here sped
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....stove

hila

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:51 am
sped wrote:
I think so. Thanks.
Now dh couldn't get the salmon Sad. The store said they are out of the one on sale but have for double the price?!?!
I hope we will get it in another place. Bez"H.

Try calling Shimon of Mazal Dagim (somewhere in the Bucharim) , he delivers . And Salmon was 55sh /Kilo yesterday. Freshh and delicious. he can fillet it however you want and has all sorts of other fish too.
You do have to buy a whole salmon - somnetimes they are up to 5Kg but it freezes well.

Tell him you are a friend of Hilary from Bituach leumi. 02-5337135
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics