Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Cream cheese gvins levana equivalent
1  2  Next

chevi1

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 6:57 pm
What would be equivalent to 4 eight oz packages of cream cheese if I use drained gvina levana? And what would be 1cup of sour cream? What percent shamenet and how much?

chevi1

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:39 am
Bump

sped

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:17 am
Shamenet you can measure out 1 cup. As far as drained white cheese, I just guesstimate

mom4many

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:29 am
I use 28% shamenet instead of cream cheese (I just drain out the liquid on top before using). 8 oz = 230 grams about. I think that would be about 4.5 containers, if each is 200 grams (or is it milliliters?).

israelgirl

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 4:12 am
I make my own cream cheese all the time easy as anything and tastes just like J&J. its 4 shamenet chamutza with 1 tsp salt mixed together and drained over the sink in a cloth diaper over night. That's how I make the cream cheese-its delish. 4 shamenet makes 1 8 oz cream cheese

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 4:51 am
israelgirl wrote:
4 shamenet makes 1 8 oz cream cheese
I know we had a thread about this once... If you have to buy 4 shamenets doesn't it cost almost the same as buying one Napolean cream cheese? I'm sure it was a thread on LII and after the whole discussion it didn't really save money (if that's your reason for making your own)

Now to answer OP - Shamenet is sour cream. Use as fatty as you want.

For cheese cake, I don't use cream cheese - much too expensive (cream cheese is for bagels Smile ). I use the fattest gvina levana 9% and add some starch (corn/potato starch, flour). Cream cheese might be better but it's not worth breaking the bank over (I'd rather buy salmon with extra money for yontif). The cheese cake with gvina levana comes out good too if you're interested in saving $$

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 4:57 am
I made a yummy one with 1/2% gvina levana.
I make cream cheese for bagels.

frayda

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 5:46 am
I use 5% gvina levana for cheesecake, and it comes out great!

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:22 am
frayda wrote:
I use 5% gvina levana for cheesecake, and it comes out great!
I'm soooo happy to hear that. DH thought he was being helpful the other day and bought 3 5% gvina levana on sale. I'm already giving him the "too bad you didn't ask..." cause I use 9% for cheese cake. So now I'll use the 5% and we'll have SB (and he'll agree to keep shopping for me)

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:59 am
I use the 9% cheese too in my cheese cake though I had real difficulty obtaining some this year. There was an abundance of 5% and only 1 store had any 9%. Used to be 9% was the default, not the exception....
I really feel the difference bt. the 5% and the 9% in cheese cake. It's much richer with the 9% . I feel like since I'm being so virtuous by not using the over 30% real cream cheese (like Philadelphia) I can splurge on the extra 4% and go with the 9%. After all I make cheeese cake just once a year.
For sour cream I use the middle of the road 15%. There's also 9% and the 27% שמנת של פעם.

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:02 am
Sanguine wrote:
I'm soooo happy to hear that. DH thought he was being helpful the other day and bought 3 5% gvina levana on sale. I'm already giving him the "too bad you didn't ask..." cause I use 9% for cheese cake. So now I'll use the 5% and we'll have SB (and he'll agree to keep shopping for me)

If your recipe calls for sour cream too, you can sub a higher fat one to compensate for the lower fat cheese.

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:53 am
etky wrote:
If your recipe calls for sour cream too, you can sub a higher fat one to compensate for the lower fat cheese.
The sour cream is the topping so I don't think it will help (I think we just bought 15%)

Quote:
I had real difficulty obtaining some this year. There was an abundance of 5% and only 1 store had any 9%
Maybe that's why 5% was on sale.

israelgirl

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:28 pm
cant find cream cheese in my local store that is bedatz....that's why I make from Shamenet. it also does come out a few shek cheaper for sure.

Liebs

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:37 pm
I make delicious easy cheesecake all badatz:
(Make oreo crust/cookie dough/pie crust)

for one round (I double and get 3)
500 grams gvina levana 5%
1/2 shamenet 9 or 15%
1 egg
1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 Tbs vanilla extract or sugar

bake 45 minutes about. I like it underbaked.

caramel topping:
1 bar whit choclate without nuts
1/2 tsp coffee diluted in 3 TBS hot water
1 tsp light karo syrup or honey
melt in double broiler (pan on top of pot of boiling water)
Pour on top of baked cheese cake and refrigerate/freezes great!

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:45 pm
I find it's always better without the lemon juice. I don't understand why it's in so many cheesecake recipes.

Happydance

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:54 pm
I just started making my own cream cheese from shamenet with a cheese cloth and I am so proud!
I think that my cream cheese comes out 10x better than napolean or any other cream cheese I have found in regular stores!!! (gad makes a good one but they sell it only in bulk)
I find that 2 shamenets drained make the same amount or more cream cheese than what I get from one napalean. (2 shamenets together equal 5.2 shekel, and one napalean is between10-13).

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:55 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I find it's always better without the lemon juice. I don't understand why it's in so many cheesecake recipes.

I think that somehow it helps it set. My baked cheesecake recipe doesn't call for it though and it sets very well. ...
I actually add grated lemon rind though b/c I love the flavor. I can't eat cheesecake that doesn't have that hint of lemon.

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:30 pm
rlm wrote:
I just started making my own cream cheese from shamenet with a cheese cloth and I am so proud!
I think that my cream cheese comes out 10x better than napolean or any other cream cheese I have found in regular stores!!! (gad makes a good one but they sell it only in bulk)
I find that 2 shamenets drained make the same amount or more cream cheese than what I get from one napalean. (2 shamenets together equal 5.2 shekel, and one napalean is between10-13).
You convinced me to try (though I'll be sorry cause I LOVE cream cheese and I'll end up eating it all). Can you (or someone else) post exact instructions

Happydance

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:34 pm
yay! I take two containers of shamenet, plop them onto a cheese cloth (or new baby cloth diaper) and tie it (and I also secure it with a rubber band) to my sink faucet at night. In the morning I have cream cheese. I put it into a container, add some salt and put it in the fridge to chill. Its that easy, and so satisfying.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:37 pm
Pour the shame net into a cheesecloth, or something else to drain it. In seminary I bought a pair of stockings for this, remove the band. Hang it to drip overnight. Use the shame net container to catch the drips. Turn it out into a bowl and add 1/4 t salt at a time. Mix it well until it tastes right. After its refrigerated it hardens to the consistency of the American block.
My sister adds spices, lox or dried tomato to it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics