Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning a basting brush after use

fbc

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 7:46 am
Any tips? After washing it with soap, it's usually still sticky, has some leftover oil or sesame seeds or parsley flakes. How do you wash it out without ruining the brush?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 8:14 am
My basting brushes are made of silicone. Very east to clean as they go in the dishwasher.

zaq

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 11:03 am
Does your brush have natural bristles or synthetic ones? I finally got a silicone brush that I wash by hand, easy-shmeasy, never greasy. Alcohol will dissolve grease but do you really want to waste good vodka that way? Cheaper by far to get a silicone brush. Ammonia will do, too, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using ammonia on something I apply to my food, be I ever so scrupulous about rinsing--and I suspect ammonia will eventually destroy the bristles if they are natural ones. If you're in love with your bristle brush, pour some full-strength high-quality dishwashing liquid into a small vessel like a custard cup, moosh the brush around and around in it for a bit, squeeze the suds through the bristles, and rinse in hot water. You may need to repeat this once or twice more. If the brush can't take hot water, you're using the wrong kind of brush for this application.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 4:26 pm
I've used silicone brushes and plastic bristled paint brushes for basting and they all wash well. Natural bristle brushes made in China are made from pig hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry