Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I substitute purple onion for regular in my kugel

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:39 pm
Just about to start making my potato kugel when I realized I am out of regular onions. Don't feel like schlepping back to the store. Can I substitute a regular onion for a purple one?????

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:43 pm
No! For one thing red onions are sweet and for another the color won't look right! Can you borrow yellow onions from a neighbor?

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:45 pm
Thanks for the quick response! I actually lent my neighbor my onions the other dya! Maybe I can use the dired onions??? Or just make roasted potatoes!l

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 12:53 pm
I don't think the sweetness of red onions is going to matter much in a kugel.

The color might not blend completely but who cares. Kugel isn't the most attractive beige anyway so it might be an improvement.

I would use red onions rather than shlep.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:54 pm
Thanks for the second opinion- I may try it since we aren't having company and let you all know how it goes.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 1:57 pm
Do you sauté onion for your kugel recipe. When you sauté any onion, it turns sweet so there really much difference I would think. You could up the amount of onions slightly and maybe also the garlic.

I think there is more of a difference with raw onions as the Bermuda onion isn't as "sharp" as a yellow onion. But I tend to cook with Vadalia onions which are actually sweeter than red onions anyway. :-)

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 7:36 pm
I don't sauté the onions- I have never seen a recuipe like that, but it sure sounds good- if you have one could you share.
I made the kugel- it looks fine on the outside- we will have to wait for shabbos to see how it tastes.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 7:40 pm
I'd try it. Unless that's the only thing you're serving for shabbat. Just in case it doesn't turn out :-p I've substituted red for yellow in all different kinds of recipes and it's always worked. But like others said it might change the color a tad. But I wouldn't care about that.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 8:09 pm
eema1 wrote:
I don't sauté the onions- I have never seen a recuipe like that, but it sure sounds good- if you have one could you share.

I was focusing on the diced onions which I sauté and not the shredded onion component. Sauteing any vegetable (or meat) really adds a lot to the final "tam"

These two recipes are almost identical in terms of ingredients but I like the instructions for the Utterly Perfect Kugel a bit more as I think they are clearer. You can adapt the technique to any recipe you like.

Utterly Perfect Potato Kugel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: The Kosher Palette by Josher Kushner Hebrew Academy

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon + 5 Tbsp + ¼ cup olive or canola oil, divided
2 large onions, one diced and one quartered
6 large potatoes, peeled
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste (not freshly ground)
1/4 cup potato starch
1 cup boiling water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 500 F/260 C.

2. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a nonstick skillet and saute diced onion over low heat until soft and golden. I let it saute the entire time I prepare the potatoes, to let it brown as much as possible.

3. While the onion cooks, shred potatoes in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade. Transfer them in handfuls from the processor to a large mixing bowl, squeezing out as much liquid as you can over the sink along the way. You can also do it all at once, using a thin kitchen towel, cheesecloth, or baby cloth to wring out the excess liquid.

4. Now shred the quartered onion in the processor. Pour it (along with its juices) into the bowl with the squeezed, shredded potatoes.

5. Add the eggs, 5 Tbsp oil, salt, pepper, and sauteed onions. Stir well. Sprinkle potato starch over the top. Pour boiling water over it and mix thoroughly. The mixture will be somewhat liquidy.

6. Pour the remaining ¼ cup oil into a 9×13 baking pan and heat it in the oven for 10 minutes (this can be done while the oven preheats). Remove the pan from the oven and spoon the kugel batter into it. You’ll hear it sizzle as it touches the hot oil.

7. Smooth out the top for even cooking. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 F/200 C and bake for another 40-45 minutes. Serve hot.

Lacy Potato Kugel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Kosher By Design by Susie Fishbein
Serving Size: 12

Summary:

it is crispy on the outside and creamy and, well, 'lacy' on the inside. It freezes very well.

Ingredients:

6 large idaho potatoes, peeled
2 large onions, 1 diced and one quartered
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
5 tablespoons oil
2 -3 teaspoons salt
fresh ground pepper
1⁄ 4 cup potato starch
1 cup boiling water
1⁄ 4 cup oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Saute diced onion until nicely caramelized and golden.

While onion is caramelizing, grate potatoes using the fine (smallest holes) disc in the food processor.
Squeeze out liquid and place in a large mixing bowl.

Process onions (don't change the blade) and pour the onion pulp and juices into the bowl with the potatoes.

Stir in eggs, 5 tbsp. oil, salt, pepper and caramelized onions.

Sprinkle starch on top.

Pour boiling water over starch and stir thoroughly.

Pour 1/4 cup of oil into a 9x13 baking pan and heat in oven for about a minute. Do not allow oil to burn.

Carefully pour mixture into pan and bake for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake for 40 minutes or until the top is a deep golden brown.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 8:10 pm
The fried shallots adds more of a gourmet touch. I get my shallots at Trader Joe as I am not that "upscale". :-)

Potato Kugel with Fried Shallots

Recipe By: Food & Wine
Serving Size: 10

Summary:

This version, prepared with shredded potatoes and fried shallots, is crispy at the edges and deliciously creamy in the middle.

Ingredients:

1 cup vegetable oil
4 large shallots, thinly sliced
5 lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
1 large yellow onion, coarsely grated
1/3 cup potato starch
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
5 large eggs, beaten
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup boiling water

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°. In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the shallots and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to a plate. Reserve the shallot oil.

Working in batches, squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible from the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl as you go. Add the grated onion, potato starch, salt, black pepper and grated nutmeg and stir well. Stir in the whole eggs, egg yolks, olive oil and boiling water, then stir in the fried shallots.

Heat two 8-by-11 1/2-inch flameproof or enameled cast-iron baking dishes over high heat until they are very hot to the touch. Add 2 tablespoons of the shallot oil to each baking dish and heat until smoking. Carefully spread the potato mixture in the sizzling baking dishes.

Transfer the potato kugels to the oven and bake them for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375° and bake the kugels for 40 minutes longer, until golden and crisp on the sides.

Preheat the broiler. Broil the potato kugels as close to the heat as possible for about 2 minutes, until they are browned and crisp on top. Let the potato kugels stand for 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.

Notes:

MAKE AHEAD
The baked potato kugels can be refrigerated overnight and reheated in a 375° oven.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 8:11 pm
This is in my "to try" list as I haven't had the right circumstances to make. I think it would be a great dish because all you would need would be a salad.

Brisket and Potato Kugel

Recipe By: Classic Recipes for Modern People by Eli and Max Sussman
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 lb. beef brisket, cut into 1" pieces
Pinch of kosher salt
2 yellow onions, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock
1⁄ 4 teaspoon chile flakes
1⁄ 3 cup canola oil
Kosher salt
3 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
7 large eggs, beaten

Directions:

Heat olive oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high; season brisket with salt and pepper and cook, turning as needed, until browned, 8–10 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium and add half the onion; cook until onion is soft and caramelized, 6–8 minutes. Add tomato paste, brown sugar, and garlic; cook 3 minutes more. Add stock and chile flakes and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until meat is falling apart, about 2 hours. Set aside.

Heat oven to 375°. Place canola oil in a 7" x 11" baking pan and put in oven. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook potatoes 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water; pulse in a food processor until chunky. Transfer potatoes to a bowl with remaining onion, the eggs, salt, and pepper. Remove pan from oven and place half potato mixture on the bottom, then the brisket, then top with remaining potatoes. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 1 hour 15 minutes.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is in my "to try" list as I haven't had the right circumstances to make. I think it would be a great dish because all you would need would be a salad.

Brisket and Potato Kugel

Recipe By: Classic Recipes for Modern People by Eli and Max Sussman
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 lb. beef brisket, cut into 1" pieces
Pinch of kosher salt
2 yellow onions, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock
1⁄ 4 teaspoon chile flakes
1⁄ 3 cup canola oil
Kosher salt
3 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
7 large eggs, beaten

Directions:

Heat olive oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high; season brisket with salt and pepper and cook, turning as needed, until browned, 8–10 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium and add half the onion; cook until onion is soft and caramelized, 6–8 minutes. Add tomato paste, brown sugar, and garlic; cook 3 minutes more. Add stock and chile flakes and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until meat is falling apart, about 2 hours. Set aside.

Heat oven to 375°. Place canola oil in a 7" x 11" baking pan and put in oven. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook potatoes 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water; pulse in a food processor until chunky. Transfer potatoes to a bowl with remaining onion, the eggs, salt, and pepper. Remove pan from oven and place half potato mixture on the bottom, then the brisket, then top with remaining potatoes. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Sounds like a gourmet yapchik!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:07 pm
I never put onions on my potato kugel, and I get tons of compliments on it. Maybe leave out the onion.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:09 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Sounds like a gourmet yapchik!

LOL LOL:Retro is now super trendy

Never heard that name. Is it Hungarian?

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 04 2015, 9:13 pm
I don't put onions in my potato kugel either & it comes out delicious.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Jun 11 2015, 10:33 pm
OP here- just to follow up- first- thanks for all the awesome recipes!!! The purple onion worked fine the taste was pretty much the same and so was the color.
Thanks again all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics