Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Sleeping toddler in convertible car seat

SRB

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 12:54 am
I recently switched my 16 month old dc to a convertible car seat from his infant car seat. When he falls asleep, his head falls forward and it looks so uncomfortable if not painful. The infant car seat had more of a recline or cradle so his head didn't fall/hang forward like it does in the new seat. The Convertable car seat I have is an Evenflo Platnuim Symphony. It's rear facing and reclined as much as its recommended to be.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent his head from falling/hanging forward when he falls asleep? Also wondering if this is normal in convertible car seat (rear and front facing)?

TIA!!

mandr

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:07 pm
Well, usually the age where you switch to a convertible (Btw how did you manage to keep your child in an infant seat until 16 months?!) they are less likely to fall asleep while driving, unless it's a longer drive. It won't be reclined as much as an infant seat, but car seats do recline somewhat. Also the padding on the sides (near the ears) are supposed to help with the positioning of the head. If baby's head is slumping too forward, your car seat may not be installed properly.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:18 pm
You say it is at the proper recline, but with a convertible there's often a range of acceptable reclines, perhaps you can tilt yours farther back while still being in the good range but allowing the child to sleep more comfortably.

I think the assumption is that a healthy child by that age should be able to reposition their head on their own if they are uncomfortable. It's amazing what kids put up with. I guess they are more flexible than us. I have occasionally come early to pick up my child from preschool and she's still napping - on a flat cot mind you - in the most convoluted positions. Sleeping soundly and happily and presumably comfortably. Go figure.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:41 pm
Google "toddler head support for car seat." There are tons of products created to solve exactly that problem.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 11:58 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Google "toddler head support for car seat." There are tons of products created to solve exactly that problem.

Except car seat accessories may at worst be dangerous and at best may void your warranty. I'm sure there are safe ways around this problem, but just be wary.

SRB

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 1:06 am
Thank you everyone who replied!

Mandr- to answer your question, the infant car seat has a max weight of 35lbs but my ds actually out grew the seat by height not weight.

I had the car seat installed by two police officers, who are certified to do this, at my local police station so I want to believe they installed it correctly. I also looked at the seat and it says that for rear facing, there is only one recline position, which it is in so I can't tilt it further back. My son often falls asleep in the car so I'm wondering if it's the seat I have or if this is a common issue with all convertible car seats because it's in a more upright position than an infant car seat?

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 1:49 am
Besides the car seat's recline position, the angle can also be affected by the seat of your car. Some are more level than others. Sometimes you have to use other strategies or devices to get the car seat to an angle that is both safe and comfortable for your child. So it is very likely that the police officers installed it correctly and safely, but still possible that you could tilt the seat farther back for your child to sleep comfortably while still being correct and safe.

I hope that you were paying attention to how the police officers put in the seat, because even though it is reassuring to have it done by a professional it is still important to know how to do it yourself. There's a pretty good chance of having to do it again at some point in the future and you don't want to have to wait until you can get back to the police station (without your kid, because how would he get there without his car seat installed properly?) to have it done.

The proper angle for the car seat is usually measured objectively, like with a level. The seat's recline position is just to help you get to that angle. For example, my car seat has one position for forward facing and one position for rear facing. The angle it needs to be at with a level can be (if I recall correctly) anywhere between 35-45 degrees. So if my car seat's angle adjuster for rear facing puts it at an angle that meets the safety guidelines but is not comfortable for my child, I can (and did) use a tightly-rolled towel or something to prop it a little farther back while still being within the safety guidelines.

mandr

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 12:43 pm
Just curious. What's the height limit for your infant seat? Mine was 29" and my son reached that at 10 months. His feet were dangling out. Weight limit was 22lbs.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 12:50 pm
mandr wrote:
Just curious. What's the height limit for your infant seat? Mine was 29" and my son reached that at 10 months. His feet were dangling out. Weight limit was 22lbs.

Many more companies are making seats that accommodate up to a higher weight and height. The infant car seat I'm using for my baby allows up to 40 pounds and 35 inches in height.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 16 2015, 3:26 pm
In addition to a total height limit, every car seat I have had (4 in total) had a rf limit of when the child's head is an inch below the top. My kids reached that limit before the total height or weight limit every time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics