Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help my 2 yr old lose weight!
1  2  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 4:41 pm
Dd was a chubby baby who turned into a tall chubby toddler. She was always at the top of the percentiles but dr isn't concerned till she reaches 98%.
She def has a sweet tooth but I don't keep cake or candy in the house. So she doesn't get much of it besides a cup of juice at playgroup. She also doesn't eat a lot. There's usually something left on her plate when she leaves the table and I'm a healthy cook.
I know what the problem is. She's not active. She happy to sit around and do nothing all day.
She's in playgroup in the morning. and I try to encourage movement the rest of the day. Her very active 4 yr old brother loves riding his bike and playing in the park. She stands in one spot and sucks her thumb. When movement is absolutely required (riding a bike round the block) she kvetches and goes so slooowly. When I try to get her involved at the playground she plays for 2 minutes. Then returns to my side to suck her thumb. When I pick her up at playgroup the other kids r running around and she's sitting with a shape sorter.
I can't force her to move. And she has lots of fun opportunity that she's uninterested in.
What to do?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 4:46 pm
why are u concerned if ur dr is not? chubby toddlers most usually do not grow into fat children only if they have a family history or are dangerously fat. sounds like u r doing a good job limiting the excess calories. I would not dwell on this

myself

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 4:50 pm
Personally I wouldn't be concerned just yet but it's definitely a great idea to encourage more physical activity. Can you get a kids exercise CD, or just any fun music CD and do some moves with both the 2 year old and the 4 year old? Or perhaps even do some races or play bunny ginger.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:04 pm
If you can afford it, get her some swimming lessons. 2 is old enough to learn to swim, and during the summer you're more likely to find affordable teachers.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:28 pm
Active families produce active children. Evening walks with the whole family, while she rides her trike or pushes a carriage with her dolls. Swimming was a great suggestion, weekend hikes with the family, a low balance beam for the back yard. Teach her to kick a ball back and forth between family members. I read something about 2 and 3 year olds needing 30 minutes of physical activity per day. Mommy and me gym programs are great exercise and will give you some creative ideas for the whole family. Hot potato, Simon says, musical chairs, red light green light all are appropriate for a two year old and siblings.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:40 pm
It is possible that she avoids activity because she literally can't do those things. One of my kids also preferred to sit with the shape sorter and avoided bikes and such. Turned out he needed PT and OT. Maybe get her evaluated.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 5:55 pm
What's concerning to me from you post is that your 2 yr old doesn't like to move. As a mother of a few kids who are receiving o/t, I would say definitely get her evaluated. Healthy young children by nature want nothing more than to run and climb. But issues such as low muscle tone, lack of coordination, lack of core strength, balance, etc. would make those activities unenjoyable.

ETA: I see the above poster just suggested the exact same thing. Take it from us, OP

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:00 pm
I really think 2 is too young to worry this much about weight. A chubby toddler does not mean that she will turn into a chubby adult, and a thin toddler does not mean she will be a thin adult. My little sister was a super, super chubby toddler and little kid. People used to actually comment on it. Now she's 17 and JUST hit 100lbs in the last year. She's so thin that her joints are loose and she gets hip pain from her hips moving more than they should.

I'd say keep an eye on her as she gets older, but don't panic right now, there's just no reason to.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:09 pm
Tx for the replies. I really appreciate ppl taking my concern seriously rather than the response I've been getting from dr and friends that toddler weight is not an issue. I know the literature doejs not support that line of thinking. I am overweight and have always struggled with my weight and dh is thin but has a family history of obesity. Which is why I am concerned. Interesting dd looks just like me and I remember my mom telling dr that I am the healthiest eater in the house but also the largest.
Dd was approved for ot but there r none available. If u know an ot who does ei in Brooklyn ...

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:30 pm
Maybe have her eyes checked.

If she can't see well past a short distance, the world is dangerous if you move to much.

The shape sorter is right in her lap so it's easy to see.

Maybe put a garden bridge right in the doorway to her room. A tiny bit of exercise every time you go into the room.

http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Co.....ridge

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Tx for the replies. I really appreciate ppl taking my concern seriously rather than the response I've been getting from dr and friends that toddler weight is not an issue. I know the literature doejs not support that line of thinking. I am overweight and have always struggled with my weight and dh is thin but has a family history of obesity. Which is why I am concerned. Interesting dd looks just like me and I remember my mom telling dr that I am the healthiest eater in the house but also the largest.
Dd was approved for ot but there r none available. If u know an ot who does ei in Brooklyn ...

How are you having trouble finding an OT in Brooklyn? My child's therapists have tons of Brooklyn cases and I'm sure there are people who actually live in Brooklyn who are ots. Have you called the agencies? There's Challenge, yeled v'yalda, shema koleinu etc. It shouldn't be that hard to find ei therapists in Brooklyn!

sneakermom

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:43 pm
Does she have low muscle tone? That would make moving more strenuous.

I think scrabble mentioned swimmingand that's a great choice because the water makes her bouyant and so she won't feel the strain of the exercise as much.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:55 pm
Jade amother, yes I've called all the agencies and was eventually put in touch with ONE available ot who spends the entire 1x30 dd is mandated doing puzzles. Literally. I suggested theraputy, kinetic sand play dough... And when the weather warmed, offered my backyard with swing set, tricycle, plasmacar, trampoline... But she refused them all!
If anyone knows of an ot in Brooklyn with available hrs I'd love contact info

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
Jade amother, yes I've called all the agencies and was eventually put in touch with ONE available ot who spends the entire 1x30 dd is mandated doing puzzles. Literally. I suggested theraputy, kinetic sand play dough... And when the weather warmed, offered my backyard with swing set, tricycle, plasmacar, trampoline... But she refused them all!
If anyone knows of an ot in Brooklyn with available hrs I'd love contact info

Where in Bk? BP, Flatbush? My son's OT is thinking of who she knows.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 8:22 pm
Keep searching for a good OT, and beat the bushes until you find one.

DD was a big baby and chubby toddler. I sewed a lot of skirts for her, and I noticed that her waist size didn't change from age to to almost age 7! Her skirts kept getting shorter and shorter, but she "grew into" her waist.

She was really delayed in motor skills, core strength, and balance when she was younger (didn't ride a bike without training wheels until she was 8.) She's never going to be a skinny minnie, but at 12 she's height/weight proportionate, and super athletic. Very Happy

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 10:43 pm
tell your EI coordinator to get you aproval for an OT gym.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 11:12 pm
Part of the problem is that she was only approved for 1x30. The good ots are in demand, and sort of get to chose. They usually would rather a 2x30. It's easier to schedule and less paperwork. See if her current ot can request a change in her mandate. Also, now there are many more open ots, because a lot of the children are upstate for the summer. Try again now (as in first thing tomorrow morning) and see if you can get someone else.

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 11:40 pm
no one gets approved for more than 1x30 unless they have major issues. You can find an OT gym that does EI and your coordinator should be able to get you approved for it. You can also have insurance supplement for another session a week if they think its necessary.

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:26 am
Consider seeing a pediatric endocrinologist who specializes in weight management.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 5:23 am
Take Dolly's suggestion, it's not hard to get her eyes checked. Check her ears too. If a child is not comfortable in their physical space they might be scared to move to much.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics