Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Toyota Sienna or Honda Oddesy
1  2  Next

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 12:45 pm
Looking to get a new minivan. I need an eight seater.

Which is the better care the Sienna or the Oddesy?

Thanks

mandr

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 2:11 pm
Get the Toyonda Siennessey. You get the smooth drive of the regular Sienna, with all the strength and oomph of the standard Odyssey.

SRS

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:44 pm
Ask your mechanic and go test drive both. They are both great vans. You might prefer the interior of one to the other. You might prefer the drive of one to the other. They both have great track records, but you will find out preferable years from your mechanic if you ask (assuming you might go pre-owned). And be warned that there are lemons in every bunch.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:53 pm
We got the Sienna

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 05 2015, 3:55 pm
My parents. Only get the sienna they say it's a safer car (they lease)

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:09 am
We've had leases on both. We tried both of them. We like the Honda so much more.

shmaichul

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:42 am
The Honda has more tethers so it's better if you need a few carseats.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:44 am
shmaichul wrote:
The Honda has more tethers so it's better if you need a few carseats.

If you are buckling instead of latching, like I do, this doesn't really make a difference becasue every seat has a buckle.

shmaichul

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:47 am
True I just find it so much easier to get a good install with tethers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:49 am
Beware that at a certain point (combined weight of car seat with weight of child), LATCH is no longer considered safe.

But the newer Odysseys are definitely more car seat friendly, with the 8th seat being bigger than the newer Siennas. Toyota ruined the working model they had in 2010 Sad

L25

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:04 pm
hy- what weight is that?

acccdac

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:49 pm
I had a 2006 toyota sienna, loved it.
we bought it because you could get the lowest end model with 8 seats and you couldnt do that with the odyssey. Also at the time the 8th seat in the odyssey was not flushed with the two seats on the side.

In 2014 someone ran a stop sign hitting me and totalling my car.

We got quotes on comparable models of both (now you can get the low end odysee with the 8th seat) and the odyssey was about $1000 more.

We bought the odyssey because in the 2014 (and newer models) the 8th seat is flushed in the odyssey but not the sienna. The backup camera (which is standard on both) is bigger and better on the odyssey, and the odyssey also has a right lane camera which is great.

For us these 3 things were worth the $1000.

fastforward 1 year to 2015

I was rear ended. Because the car was only a year old there needed to be at least $23K of damage for the insurance to consider it a total loss. The frame was not destroyed so it was only $16K of damage. The mechanic told me that if I was in a sienna the damage would have been much worse. He said the odysseys hold up better in accidents.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 8:56 pm
For the 2011 model, the Odyssey has better safety ratings. Not sure about later models.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:03 pm
L25 wrote:
hy- what weight is that?

Usually 65 lbs when weighing child plus car seat combined (and car seats can be up to 25 lbs for bigger kids!) but it can vary so you should look at your car seat if it says, and if not, the vehicle manufacturer might say something in the manual. Some have a 48 lb limit for the kid, regardless of car seat weight...it's complicated Sad

(Best thing is to just have tiny kids like me and not have to worry about it Wink )

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 9:33 pm
Just do me a favor and don't get this model

IMHO it looks too much like this:

SorGold

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:04 pm
The odyssey handles sooo much better. Just test drive them and you will see. I am talking current models.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
Just do me a favor and don't get this model

IMHO it looks too much like this:

??
doesn't look too similar to me.

Not sure why you have such an issue with it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 11:31 pm
I work in the car business. I work in a leasing company. We sell both cars all the time. Most people take sienna as toyota is know for being safe. They also would take the car because the base model comes with 8 seats and power doors. The others that take odyssey is because of

1. Nicer look
2. They either had a Honda before or an odyssey before
3. Odyssey has more features...

If you ask me, they are both great cars. If u needed to get a van tomorrow I would probably take a town and country as they come fully loaded and they are cheap. I do not recommend the car in anyway. It is the worst van by far but I am looking to save so that's my opinion.

Anonymous as people know my opinion and know what I would go for.

cuffs

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:49 am
If you're buying get the sienna it's a much better car then oddessy, the sienna will give you more years. Never buy the town and country but it's a great lease of you need something quick! However it eats up the gas like crazy! Good luck!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:03 am
mandr wrote:
Get the Toyonda Siennessey. You get the smooth drive of the regular Sienna, with all the strength and oomph of the standard Odyssey.

This made me laugh really hard!

Op, we did a lot of research when we got our van and ended up with the Honda Odyssey. The big push for us was that the Odyssey was designed to have 3 car seats across in the middle row, a feature we use all the time. I don't remember which level we got, but I told DH that if we were buying (which we did), we would be having this for a long time and I wanted to have a back up camera and the power lift gate. It's an awesome feature and a worthwhile splurge if you can afford it. The ride is really smooth too.

I don't actually like the look of the Odyssey as much as the Sienna, but looks were very secondary to me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics