Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 3 year old is driving.me.crazy.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:32 pm
She won't do anything for more than 60 seconds at a time. I start an activity for her, she does it for a minute, gets bored and asks for something different. We went to a fantastic children's museum with tons to do and she spent a few minutes in each exhibit before getting bored and wanting to move on. She's like this with food too. I make her something, she takes one bite (maybe), doesn't want it, asks for something else. With music - always have to change it back to the song she wants, no such thing as just playing a CD. With videos - turn it back to the part she likes. Over and over again.

GAHHHHHHH I am losing my mind!!!!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 3:58 pm
It's the age. Hang in there. She will grow out of it

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:04 pm
I had that thought too.

You are doing an awful lot of asking. Simply put food in front of her and talk of other things. She will eat whatever she wants, just as you do. Your hope and goal is she develops a repertoire of acceptable foods which cover the basic nutritional bases. If she only likes carrots and long cut green beans, you are home free.

Give her stuff to play with and don't worry. She may need to be out, and with other kids. You should be pleasantly available but you don't have to make her happy and entertained. The world is fascinating as it is, but put enough materials around.

If she just yells, she's bored. We all yell when we are bored.

Give her a book, age appropriate construction (made out of steel, say). Books are what they want. Have a lot. Amazon has them.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:08 pm
DD was like this too. I made a rule about food. If you ask for food, you can only ask for one other kind of food - so that you have two different kinds of food at once. That's it. No asking for other food until one of those is finished.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:18 pm
Very typical of this age.
No advice but it makes it easier to know that this is normal.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:23 pm
Between the ages of 2 and three toddlers are getting a sense of self and their ego. They begin to practice behaviors that enhance their sense of self, changing their minds about things moment by moment, alternating behaviors to see what input they will get. The behavior is normative. Set your boundaries, continue to reinforce your boundaries and recognize their positive behaviors. Offer perhaps two food suggestions, that can go back in the fridge if not eaten. When they get hungry again offer it back to them. Interactive museums offer huge amounts of sensory input. Stay with your child and interact with them about the exhibits. It doesn't have to be about the science, it may be about moving colors in a display, ' I see blue Chani, what other things are blue?" "What other colors do you see in the display?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics