Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I can't teach my son how to swallow a pill!!
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 9:59 pm
My 8 yr old son has been taking a really bad tasting medicine for the past few weeks. He has been very good about it, but also very anxious to stop bc it tastes so bad (even with mixing it with juice), he has to psyche himself up each time to take it. We just found out ds has to be on this medicine for months!! There is a pill form but ds just can't seem to get a pill down. Any ideas about how to teach swallowing a pill? or is there someone who I can pay to teach ds (I live in Brooklyn)?. I can't imagine ds having to keep tasting this medicine! Thanks!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:02 pm
Could you bang it into a powder, and mix the powder with a teaspoon of cherry sorbet?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:09 pm
Thanks, but I have the liquid already and I mix it, I don't think it would taste better if I get the pill, chop it, & mix it

lucky14

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:11 pm
this may sound horrible to use this as an example, but I worked in an animal hospital and we used to wrap the pills in wet cat/dog food or treats in order to get them to swallow them. Are the pills small enough you could wrap it in something (I have no idea what- I'd need suggestions from other people) and maybe it would go down easier that way? Or maybe this wouldn't work because he'd just try to chew it before swallowing.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:11 pm
you can't always crush a pill, sometimes, they have coating to slow release the meds.

Op, I had trouble learning how to swallow pills, probably until I was in my late teens/early twenties, here are some tricks:

one) put pill in a spoon of something soft, like yogurt, applesauce, pudding... etc. if the pill is small enough and in the middle, it should go down with the spoon

two) I found that bubbly drinks were the next step to help me down, I would put it on the back of my tongue, and "float" the pills in the bubbles to get it in middle of the bubbles and that helped it down (seltzer or soda

three) eventually I was am now able to get it with a cheek-ful of water

you also might start with same size mints or something, for practice.

(also I live in jersey, if you need, I could possibly arrange to come to brooklyn one day if a demonstration would be better)

joy613

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:13 pm
I don't know if it will help at all but maybe try showing him some youtube videos of how to swallow pills. There are definitely a number of those. You can sit and watch with him and practice with vitamins.
good luck!

btw, I think at 8 years old most kids do not know how to swallow pills. So if it's really not going anywhere, know that it's normal.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:29 pm
Like other posters suggested, putting a pill in yogurt, Apple sauce, chocolate pudding might work. Carbonated soda can work also.

Practicing with mini m and ms or tic tacs help.

There is also something called a medistraw and also a special cup that can can be bought online to teach swallowing pills. But I don't now how effective they really are.

If all these suggestions don't work a speech therapist or feeding therapist can help.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:31 pm
I second practicing with some kind of small m&m or candy. It works well.

kb

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:33 pm
Buy small candies (winkies, twizzler nibs) and see if he can swallow those. See how big a piece of food he can swallow without chewing (cake, cookies, choc chips) - Basically, have him swallow things that aren't psychologically impossible. Once he knows he can do it, move on to pills.

fbc

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:50 pm
If it's of any interest to anyone, I didn't learn how to swallow a pill until I was 23. Ppl kept giving me these different ideas, but I think it just has to come when it comes. I had this mental block that I would for sure choke, then finally one day I was prescribed a tiny pill, I looked at it and thought there is no way you are going to beat me, and I swallowed it! No one was there giving me ideas or cheering me on. It was me alone. I am still not perfect at swallowing them all easily. I will get you tho, using a water bottle made it much easier for me. I feel like it does the pull straight back. Secondly, don't watch the person doing the swallowing! It makes them nervous!! Then they can't do it...

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:52 pm
These seem like good ideas, but I've tried with drinks and with apple sauce, but my son's gag reflex doesn't allow it to go down, I am going to look up the medistraw, does anyone know a specific person that teaches swallowing pills?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:55 pm
Fbc, how did the water bottle help?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
These seem like good ideas, but I've tried with drinks and with apple sauce, but my son's gag reflex doesn't allow it to go down, I am going to look up the medistraw, does anyone know a specific person that teaches swallowing pills?

What do you mean by trying with drinks? How did he try it? Did he first put the pill in his mouth or the drink? I'm asking because I used to always try and try by putting the pill on my tongue and then taking a drink. But the drink went down while the pill stayed up.. Finally I tried it differently. I took a big gulp of water and kept it in my mouth without swallowing (just for a second or so). Then I pop the pill in. Sort of just push it in between my lips because if I open up lips all the way the water will come out.
And somehow it all manages to go down together.

Oh also, I have to actually keep my hand covering my mouth while I swallow so I don't automatically try to send it back up and out like I used to.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
What do you mean by trying with drinks? How did he try it? Did he first put the pill in his mouth or the drink? I'm asking because I used to always try and try by putting the pill on my tongue and then taking a drink. But the drink went down while the pill stayed up.. Finally I tried it differently. I took a big gulp of water and kept it in my mouth without swallowing (just for a second or so). Then I pop the pill in. Sort of just push it in between my lips because if I open up lips all the way the water will come out.
And somehow it all manages to go down together.

Oh also, I have to actually keep my hand covering my mouth while I swallow so I don't automatically try to send it back up and out like I used to.

that sounds like an interesting idea, and not something we tried already, thanks

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:11 pm
Gel capsules can be easier for a beginner to swallow since they float and aren't as likely to stick to the tongue. If it is a gel capsule, he should tilt his head forward somewhat before swallowing and it'll float part of the way to his throat. (That won't help with most other pills.)
I do similar to the previous amother- I take a cheekful of water or juice and then slip the pill in between my lips. That's the only way I've been able to take larger pills even as an adult, though I still do it for small pills as well.

momx6

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:15 pm
My grandmother taught me this method and it really works! The only thing is is that you have to like bananas.

I put the pill near the top of the banana. Then I bite off the tip of the banana that has the pill in it. I chew it a little bit. Then I swallow the whole thing without finishing to chew it.

Good luck!

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Jul 01 2015, 11:32 pm
don't know if you got this tip:
I also had a hard time swallowing until 15 yrs, and my dr told me to put my head down instead of up when swallowing - magic the first time

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 12:17 am
can you try putting the liquid in something thick - like fudge sauce or frosting - instead of juice. I read about that once regarding tamiflu which is said to taste really bad

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 1:53 am
Op, check this out -
http://www.health.harvard.edu/.....37515

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 02 2015, 2:01 am
My sister learned with mini m&m's. I find that Advil the s really easy since its small and really smooth. My prenatals are huge capsules, they are pretty hard. I drink a cup of water afterwards to keep them down.
Go to the candy store,find similar smaller smooth candies. After each success, he eats five.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics