Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I think my baby swallowed a bead! what to do?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:33 am
I found my 16 mnth old with a mouthful of beads. It looked like she swallowed before I got to pull the rest out. She looks ok. Should I worry? Should I do anything? She bit open a bead necklace her sister made for her with plastic beads

ahuva06

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:36 am
It will come out in her diaper. No worries!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:45 am
Thanks for the reassurance.

nywife

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:55 am
Call your doctor. Don't take advice from strangers online.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:58 am
How big are the beads? Tiny ones will go through the system. Larger ones she could choke on, but that would've already happened. If they aren't glass or plastic there could be a concern about toxins, but beads are generally small so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Delores

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:01 am
nywife wrote:

Especially since you don't know how many. My daughter swallowed one coin and we had to monitor her BM to make sure it came out. You have no way to monitor the beads since you don't know how many she swallowed.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:02 am
Call your doctor- she's probably ok if they all went into her stomach, but if one got into her airway it could potentially cause pneumonia even if it's not otherwise affecting her breathing. Better safe than sorry- good luck!

ahuva06

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:26 am
nywife wrote:

You are right. That is definitely the smartest answer. I was talking from experience. The amount of little legos I found in diapers... but I shouldn't take that for granted and I would never want my advice to land someone's child in trouble!

Hopefully your child is perfectly okay but a call to the doc can't hurt!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:23 am
I know someone who's child swallowed a dry piece of leaf, didn't think anything of it, then weeks later she was coughing a lot and complained of pains. They found it had got into her lungs and she had to get it removed.

On the other hand, I swallowed a coin when I was younger, never saw it again and I'm okay!

You never know, always better to get it checked out.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:47 am
Go to your dr right now.

My dc once chocked on something small. Bh he was breathing by the time Hatzola came. We werent sure if it was swollowed or came out. Hatzola recommended we go to the ER for Xrays incase of the small chance its lodged in the throat or went into the lungs. C"V people can choke again hours later when it moves.

My pediatrician had a young child come to him one evening for wheezing. He stuck a stick in the childs mouth and the kid gagged. Out came a winky that was lodged there. The parents didnt even know the dc was chocking. They dc was sick. The childs life was saved bh.

Miri1

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:56 pm
Get the baby checked out, as others above have said. Also, hold onto the other beads, in case there is concern for lead ingestion (unlikely with children's beads, but I would ask about that).

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:08 am
Just the beads, and not the string, right? String is the biggest hazard for swallowing, because it can get tangled up in the small intestine.

When I was a toddler I swallowed quite a few marbles, according to my mom, and she said they all came out the other end.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:14 am
Do call the pediatrician. Probably no problem.

There is a joke. First child swallows a dime, parents go to the ER. Second child, parents watch the output, but do nothing else. Third and beyond, they dock the allowance.

ahuva06

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:21 am
OP, what ended up happening? Did you call doc? Is your child ok? Please update!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics