Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you making to break the fast ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:18 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
Roast chicken, Potato Kugel, Roast zucchini.
I don't think you're allowed to eat meat until Chazot tomorrow. On a regular 9 B'av we keep 9 days' restrictions till Chatzot on Yud Av. Since this year Tisha B'av was Nidche and held on Yud Av we don't have to keep the 9 days till Chatzot the next day except wine and meat. Those we don't eat till chatzot tomorrow. Maybe Sfardim do it differently

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:20 pm
We have plenty of leftovers from our pre fast meal of majedra with fried carmelized onions and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and tuna ejje ( a Sephardic version of tuna pancakes or patties). I made a fresh French onion soup today with nice bought crusty French bread. We will melt shredded mozzarella over before serving. I'm contemplating making something fresh now like muffins or banana bread. Gonna go check what ingredients I have lying around . Oh, and of course some sliced watermelon to wash it all down! Can you tell I'm hungry?! 😜

etky

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:28 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I don't think you're allowed to eat meat until Chazot tomorrow. On a regular 9 B'av we keep 9 days' restrictions till Chatzot on Yud Av. Since this year Tisha B'av was Nidche and held on Yud Av we don't have to keep the 9 days till Chatzot the next day except wine and meat. Those we don't eat till chatzot tomorrow. Maybe Sfardim do it differently

I understood -from the halachot that the moetza datiti of our town put out - that some permit meat even tonight directly after the fast. For those who do not - both Ashkenazim and Sephardim - out of the feeling that a festive meal is still inappropriate, meat and wine are permitted tomorrow throughout the entire day since it is already yud aleph Av. In counterdistinction, the other chumrot (laundry, haircuts, bathing ) that are generally kept until chatzot of Yud Av are permissible this year even tonight since unlike wine and meat they are not considered particularly 'festive' but rather ordinary, every day activities

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:57 pm
etky wrote:
I understood -from the halachot that the moetza datiti of our town put out - that some permit meat even tonight directly after the fast. For those who do not - both Ashkenazim and Sephardim - out of the feeling that a festive meal is still inappropriate, meat and wine are permitted tomorrow throughout the entire day since it is already yud aleph Av. In counterdistinction, the other chumrot (laundry, haircuts, bathing ) that are generally kept until chatzot of Yud Av are permissible this year even tonight since unlike wine and meat they are not considered particularly 'festive' but rather ordinary, every day activities
I actually read about the meat somewhere else. Our Moetza datit didn't mention tonight but my son who was home from the army till tomorrow morning is was planning a steak mangal with friends tonight. I told him that I read that he can't eat meat tonight (he said what about tomorrow morning? LOL ). so I told him to call the Rabbi of our Shul and ask. Later he said, OK it's not allowed. I don't think he called the Rabbi. He''ll kill me if he could have had his steaks tonight

etky

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:17 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I actually read about the meat somewhere else. Our Moetza datit didn't mention tonight but my son who was home from the army till tomorrow morning is was planning a steak mangal with friends tonight. I told him that I read that he can't eat meat tonight (he said what about tomorrow morning? LOL ). so I told him to call the Rabbi of our Shul and ask. Later he said, OK it's not allowed. I don't think he called the Rabbi. He''ll kill me if he could have had his steaks tonight

In all probability though your rav would have said no about tonight since this seems to be the predominant custom. My DS wanted chicken from shabbat and we didn't ask either - both DH and I felt it was not appropriate and we also don't believe in eating anything really heavy when a fast comes out so late in the evening. Tell your DS he can have a steak breakfast!

rikki!

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:38 pm
joystock wrote:
Fettuccini Alfredo, broccoli sweet potato quiche and potato egg casserole

I made the potato egg casserole a long time ago, but can't seem to find the recipe I'm looking for. Would you mind sharing it, please?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:39 pm
etky wrote:
Tell your DS he can have a steak breakfast!
UGH!! - How do go-yim eat meat for breakfast?

Hey - 2 1/2 hours NY can break their fast. I better go to sleep

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:47 pm
Wholemeal rolls made in a burst of energy this afternoon. Salads, egg , humus leftover from shabbat. Coconut sorbet to finish with fresh strawberries, as dh adores them.

I had a killer headache from 2 hours before the fast even started, and it isn't gone yet :-(

At least I got to shower straight away, and piled up 12 loads of laundry ready to go, although I have no idea when it will get done, I start work at 6am tomorrow and not home until 8pm. Hopefully dh will attack the laundry mountain...

nywife

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:03 pm
Broccoli mushroom cheese quiche
Baked sweet potatoes
Roasted vegetables

IM SO HUNGRY! Confused

joystock

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:27 pm
Potato egg casserole:
6 potatoes, boiled
9 eggs , boiled

In a 9"13 pan, place layer of thinly sliced potatoes (use one third of potato). Salt well. Place on top one layer of thinly sliced eggs ( use half of the eggs). Spread thin layer of sour cream. Repeat potato, salt, eggs, sour cream. End with layer of potatoes. Pour 4 tbsp oil on top. Sprinkle paprika. Bake 350 for 30 minutes covered.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:31 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
I find that eating something heavy I.e. Shabbos leftovers first thing, on an empty stomach, isn't ideal. I am going to bake: thinking about kokosh cake or cinnamon buns, then we'll have watermelon and grapes. A little while after, we can have some Shabbos leftovers: Pasta salad with Baby corn and dried tomatoes, Potato salad, Beet salad, Roast chicken, Potato Kugel, Roast zucchini.

I learned that one isn't supposed to eat fleishigs until tomorrow.

ETA: I see many posters have already mentioned it.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:49 pm
joystock wrote:
Potato egg casserole:
6 potatoes, boiled
9 eggs , boiled

In a 9"13 pan, place layer of thinly sliced potatoes (use one third of potato). Salt well. Place on top one layer of thinly sliced eggs ( use half of the eggs). Spread thin layer of sour cream. Repeat potato, salt, eggs, sour cream. End with layer of potatoes. Pour 4 tbsp oil on top. Sprinkle paprika. Bake 350 for 30 minutes covered.

This sounds like something my Hungarian grandmother used to make!! I've never seen it anywhere else! (Except she also layered in sauted onions, of course Wink

joystock

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:59 pm
Yes this is a Hungarian dish. I just call it "potato egg casserole" since I can't remember the Hungarian name...

imachossid

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:09 pm
Zucchini mushroom quiche, watermelon, frozen grapes, ice cream, melted cheese.

devy88

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:14 pm
joystock wrote:
Yes this is a Hungarian dish. I just call it "potato egg casserole" since I can't remember the Hungarian name...

Rukkut krumpli

gold21

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:18 pm
a falafel and a Razzle

thats what im in the mood of.

im making other options for my husband and kids.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:32 pm
devy88 wrote:
Rukkut krumpli

Thanks! My mother always just called it Potatoes and Sour Cream Dish Smile

boymom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:58 pm
heidi wrote:
Me three!
I couldn't deal with the all night headache if I didn't have the caffeine. And I ate enough carbs to put me in a diabetic coma. So maybe I will sleep.

its so funny- I know im totally off topic but you express yourself exactly the way my friend does, and her legal name is Heidi. I'd be sure you were her, except I know that if she joined imamother, it was after the date you did, and also, she is in the same time zone as me and seems like you broke your fast ages ago.

Pita

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 9:56 pm
What the kids left on the table that I haven't yet cleaned up (sliced peaches, water), then I will get leftovers from Shabbos.

rikki!

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:52 pm
Laiya wrote:
This sounds like something my Hungarian grandmother used to make!! I've never seen it anywhere else! (Except she also layered in sauted onions, of course Wink

Same here- I tried searching for it but couldn't find it anywhere! That's exactly the recipe I was looking for. It was easy to make and tasted just right. Thanks for sharing.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note