Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos fish

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:46 pm
Why does my fish end up tasting so bland? I put in gefilte loaf, salmon, and white fish, with onion,carrots, salt, sugar, black pepper, and spices , along with fish skin, and cook for about an hour. and the fish has no taste.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:05 pm
Are you using frozen? Try another brand. I don't eat it so I do t know the difference but when I switch brands my family definitely notices.

hattie1

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:18 pm
I'm actually talking about the fresh fish. The gefilte fish is fine

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
Why does my fish end up tasting so bland? I put in gefilte loaf, salmon, and white fish, with onion,carrots, salt, sugar, black pepper, and spices , along with fish skin, and cook for about an hour. and the fish has no taste.

I presume you're referring to gef loaf made of salmon and white fish, not gef loaf PLUS salmon and white fish.

Are you using too much liquid? Do you check seasoning of the liquid before you cook? I usually don't do gef fish but 1hour seems too long.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:25 pm
hattie1 wrote:

You do NOT want to cook fresh fish for 1hour in water. If it's fillet or steak, it poaches in about 10-12minutes depending on thickness. To be honest, you're better off baking or pan-frying (esp white fish).

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:26 pm
you have to taste the water and make sure the water tastes good. If the water doesn't taste good, neither will your fish (taste before adding fish!)

hattie1

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:30 pm
I will try that.thank you

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:08 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I presume you're referring to gef loaf made of salmon and white fish, not gef loaf PLUS salmon and white fish.

Are you using too much liquid? Do you check seasoning of the liquid before you cook? I usually don't do gef fish but 1hour seems too long.

Why not? Ive cooked salmon and gefilte fish together. You first bring water onions and spices to a boil, then add gefilte and cook on a medium to high flame for about an hour. Next you add the salmon slices for the remainder 15 minutes. Should be good.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:54 pm
There is a spice by Prima called fish spice add quite a bit put enough sugar add extra water and cook strongly on a high flame for an hour- while cooking make sure the water doesn't cook out. Of course this is in addition to your regular recipe. Try it whoever eats my fish loves it

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:24 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
You do NOT want to cook fresh fish for 1hour in water. If it's fillet or steak, it poaches in about 10-12minutes depending on thickness. To be honest, you're better off baking or pan-frying (esp white fish).

I agree. You're boiling it to death.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:45 pm
hattie1 wrote:

Sorry, I misread. I've never heard of boiling fresh fish in a pot other than for stock so I can't give advice but an hour cooking time seems rather excessive.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:58 pm
I do what orange amother does. I put onion garlic salt sugar in water about halfway the pot. add gefilte and cook for about an hour. then I add salmon for under 10 minutes. cooking salmon for longer makes it taste bad. it gets dry and has no taste. I ususally cook salmon about 8min. I make the flame higher and wait till it boiles after I add the salmon then I time it. and yes taste the water before putting in the fish that should help.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:24 am
As others have said, fresh fish is almost never boiled and certainly never for one hour. Of course, it is tasteless because you have sucked the life out of the poor fish :-)

Salmon is sometimes poached - which means that it is cooked in simmering court bouillon for a brief period of time - say 10 minutes. But I can't think of another type of fish that is poached. Typically poached salmon is served cold since poaching correctly provides a more delicate texture than roasting or broiling salmon.

Court bouillon might sound fancy but it really is just flavored stock or water - some water, often with wine and liberally seasoned with herbs and other seasonings that are appealing to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen